How do you feel about NTE? + Rank the movies!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: How do you feel about NTE? + Rank the movies! Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:37 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:#4 includes some of the most cynical, soulless shit ever in the series, particularly the CG fight scenes and fanservice (of both the sexual and narrative variety) but also has some of the most striking bits of raw expression since EoE, and the last 20-25 minutes are basically golden even if almost nothing with Mari works quite as well as Anno seems to think it does.

He's talked up that whole "I want to inspire people to rush outside and do something" vibe for years; and it's pretty clear that he wanted Mari to be the vehicle for that.

And I agree, he had the outline, and I like that outline, but he didn't quite connect the dots in a way I found satisfying.

Like Star Wars Episode 7, what made the film for me was a few character moments that felt like satisfying continuation/conclusions to their arcs. That alone made it worthwhile checking in.

Honestly though, kind of hoping the talk about in-between stories will evolve into this getting the Gundam Unicorn treatment; a TV series adaptation that offers more detail... and less cringe-inducing CG.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

I reviewed 3+1

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:05 pm

After a lot of deliberation and fiddling, my article on 3+1 just went up!

It’s a long one, but I really wanted to tackle as many angles as I could. If anyone takes the time to read it, I would be very grateful for any and all feedback!
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

El Squibbonator
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: How do you feel about NTE? + Rank the movies!

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:06 pm

Having seen all four movies, here’s my ranking of them, from “least best” (because one can never truly have a bad Evangelion work) to “best”.

I’m putting this one in the bottom spot because, while it isn’t terrible, it just has the least reason to exist of all the Rebuild movies. It’s a remake, with very little outward change from the original TV series. Now, obviously the Rebuild series still has to set up Shinji’s story, but one would think that, this being a remake, they would have changed a lot more. If you’ve already watched the first few episodes of the show, this movie won’t surprise you.

This one isn’t a rehash of the original the way the first movie was, but it does make a lot of decisions that seem questionable and don’t really serve the story well. Some of these become more understandable in light of the fourth movie, but others are just strange. It’s also, unfortunately, the movie that has the most of its runtime taken up by infodumps, thanks to Shinji being in a coma for 14 years. Mari, who was set up as a new main character in the second movie, doesn’t get to do much here

I wish I could say the finale was the best of the movies. I really do. Unfortunately, it isn’t. There are a lot of good things about it, but it falls short because of the ending. More specifically, Mari’s relationship with Shinji, which was never hinted at in such a way before, and pushes her into borderline Mary-Sue territory. Luckily, that’s the only thing I really don’t like about it, and for the most part it’s a solid conclusion to the movie. But as the best movie in the series, it narrowly loses out to. . .

This is, in my opinion, where all the best parts of the movies come together. We can tell that the story is beginning to diverge from the one we know in the TV series, but the characters and world are still recognizable enough that there’s no need for massive expositions. Mari is introduced, and is kept mysterious regarding her motives and true alliances. All we know is that she hails from Britain, is capable of activating an Evangelion’s “beast mode”, and works for an unknown third party. We’re kept in the dark about her, and so are the main characters. Shinji, Asuka, and Rei are also still their recognizable selves, but there are hints—especially in the latter two characters’ cases— that they are not the same ones we know.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: I reviewed 3+1

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:33 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:After a lot of deliberation and fiddling, my article on 3+1 just went up!

Just finished reading this and I'm super impressed. This is first proper review of 3+1 that I've really connected with, managing to put into words my own conflicted feelings on the film better than I ever could. So many great lines scattered throughout. It's the sort of analytical writing that personally inspires me to develop my own tastes further and get better at expressing my thoughts coherently.

Axx°N N.
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:34 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:After a lot of deliberation and fiddling, my article on 3+1 just went up!

This is a great review. You voice the film's faults (as I see them) extremely accurately. I only wish I could share in your appreciation of the film otherwise. Ironically, the moment that did it for you I also heavily related to, the "because we like you" line. However, something being relatable emotionally for me can't make up for an execution devoid of pacing, stakes, and deeper explorations into that emotion. It's not new enough of a feeling or idea when compared to the wealth of literature and film that exists that doesn't spend most of its runtime on the things that didn't work that you specified. Faults you lay out, such as the contradictions of the messaging, consumerist appeal and sleaze of how it treats its characters, really does guarantee I feel nothing about them being cast into happy ends. When you describe certain scenes and images from the film, they're almost more vivid than they are in the actual film; I wish it had slowed down and resembled more of your recounting of it.

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:...and pushes her into borderline Mary-Sue territory.

To be fair, she always was squarely in that territory, and puns on her name, "Mari-Sue," have been prominent since she was introduced. If anything, the ending makes total sense and is consistent with the elements of NTE as they've been set up; if anyone is disappointed, they really shouldn't be, because the writing was in the sky all along.
Après moi le déluge!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: I reviewed 3+1

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:34 pm

Yup... Pretty much sums up what I thought about this movie. There are lines here and there I don't agree with, but overall it hits the nail on the head.
Visit my Eva-figures blog, Youtube channel and Twitter

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:41 am

gatotsu911:Great write-up! Can't say I agreed with everything, but it was well written and you managed to communicate your feelings quite well.

YTPrenewed
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby YTPrenewed » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:08 am

I'd find it tough to "rank" them overall. Thrice Upon A Time strikes me as probably the best overall, going from a Return Of The Jedi-esque father-son confrontation to a Deathly Hallows Part 2-esque "all grown up" ending more cheerful than EoE's while tying up more loose ends than NGE's but 2.0 also stands out for its scene where Shinji brings about the apocalypse to bring Rei back (#LoveIsNotTourism) amidst unforgettable music and scenery. Either is more memorable than the other two, though.

On the whole, NTE seems a little underwhelming compared to NGE. That said, a confounding factor might be that I saw NGE first, which is also when I finally got to see the context for some of those interesting-even-out-of-context scenes I had already heard of, along with other interesting scenes I hadn't. Sometimes spoilers enhance a show instead of ruining it. That and by the time I got around to NTE I was... somewhat accustomed to NGE's blend of cuteness and shock value, so maybe it wasn't quite as unforgettable anymore.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:44 pm

So I rewatched Shin, taking the chance before Karen's Prime subscription expires next week, and I still think I was right in 2009 (and too generous in 2008)

* 1.01 -- too moody all round, the upgraded graphics in the NTE!Ramiel fight being the only worthwhile part (and even then it's missing cut 259 of the original). Rating dropped from the original 8/10 to 5/10 after some consideration (and a partial rewatch about a year back), reflecting how the project as a whole developed out of the late detour into fanfic territory.

* Ha, Q -- N/A

* Shin -- the Paris scene doesn't weather multiple viewings (from the various Avant iterations) very well and in the context of the rest of the film, it feels detached from anything that follows. Once the film moves to the Wunder, the gratuitous action scene drags on and on (checks player -- there's still an hour to go). The whole sequence from the Gendo confrontation, through Minus Space/instrumentality to the new world section felt best described in Anno's own words (from the extended "Challenge of Eva" documentary)

Indeed, the whole thing felt hollow; old Anno's preoccupations don't overlap with mine in the same way that the original did, and this iteration of the characters are alienating, leaving the movie with none of EoE's emotional weight. Rating say 5/10 to be generous.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”