First Impression Translation Release Advice

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Philski
Embryo

First Impression Translation Release Advice

•      
  •      

Postby Philski » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi there,

I didn’t really know where to go for information on this, but I thought if anyone knew, they would be on EvaGeeks!

So, I’m sure this comes as no surprise to anyone here, but I recently stumbled across the fact that First Impression got ported from Saturn to DVD, with Quick Time Events replacing the battle system from the original (I can’t speak for any other changes, having not played that version). Anyway, having managed to source a copy of it, I’m currently in the process of fully translating it.

Initially I had been hoping to insert the subs into the DVD, however that didn’t work out, as it broke the QTEs. So I’ve been (ahem) rebuilding it on the computer, as close to 1:1 as possible.

What I am curious about is people’s thoughts on the best way to go about releasing it when I’m finished (I’m hoping to get it done for August 13th, but it’s a tight schedule). I’ve noticed translation ports such as the Silent Hill GBA visual novel posted on itch.io, but I would hate to do anything that might impede an official release.

And on that note, does anyone have any thoughts or advice on getting an official release of some sort rolling? I tried emailing Anime Ltd, but never got a reply and have attempted contact with other companies in an attempt to get the Ring visual novel released with no success, so don’t have any particular avenues to try. I also wouldn’t know where to begin with who holds the rights, Sega? Gainax? Khara? All three, or even some other company…

Anyway, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: First Impression Translation Release Advice

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:36 pm

after all these years & new consoles being out a release is highly unlikely.

i think loads of people would be grateful if they could just see/read a translation somewhere
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Philski
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Philski » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:41 pm

A few years back, I’d have agreed with you. But there are a whole bunch of FMV games being released just now. From real oldies, such as Night Trap, to brand new ones like Dark Nights With Poe And Munro.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:42 pm

I don't think you should worry, it's a fairly obscure title now, especially in the West. I know the fan-translations for GoS 1 et al were on isoZone and such so you could try they. They're also posted on Web Archive since apparently they're no longer copyrighted, or at least Khara doesn't care about Gainax's old use of the IP so much.

Philski
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Philski » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:40 am

Good point! I think the difference is that it isn’t possible to post as a ROM hack like the other games.

I’m going to see if I can talk to someone about an official release in October. If I don’t get anywhere, I’ll see about uploading it somewhere. Thanks!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”