How big of a role does Mark.07 play?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

How big of a role does Mark.07 play?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:35 pm

Please don't spoil TOO much, but after seeing how fucking SICK MARK.07 LOOKS HOLY SHIT... it would be a big disappointment if it only appeared for a few shots. So, does Skeletor act as a big part in the movie, or does it only show up a little bit during the explanation of what exactly happened between 2.0 and 3.0? Or is it entirely unused in the same way This is the Dream Beyond Belief is wasted by being left out?
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: How big of a role does Mark.07 play?

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:55 pm

It's pretty hard to not spoil you "too much" if we don't know how much of the last movie you know, can you elaborate on it?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:33 am

"This is the Dream, Beyond Belief" is certainly not wasted, it appears during one of the biggest climaxes of the entire film! And regarding the Mark.07 Evas, I certainly don't think they're wasted. They get their screentime, they get some cool moments, and then the movie is done with them. They're not major players, but I don't think the movie shafts them either.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:50 am

Are they at least used the same way as depicted in the concept material?

SPOILER: Show
They seem to be some kind of suicide attack tools used to turn things to core.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:00 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Are they at least used the same way as depicted in the concept material?

Nope. Few of Yamashita's ideas ended in the final movie.

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:Please don't spoil TOO much, but after seeing how fucking SICK MARK.07 LOOKS HOLY SHIT... it would be a big disappointment if it only appeared for a few shots. So, does Skeletor act as a big part in the movie, or does it only show up a little bit during the explanation of what exactly happened between 2.0 and 3.0? Or is it entirely unused in the same way This is the Dream Beyond Belief is wasted by being left out?

To add to Nuke-kun's answer, they don't appear in a flashback.
Shin Eva spoiler about flashbacks, look at your own risks  SPOILER: Show
In fact there are no explanations about what happened between Jo and Ha, we only get a very brief flashback of a few seconds about a specific event during Third Impact.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:06 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:To add to Nuke-kun's answer, they don't appear in a flashback.
Shin Eva spoiler about flashbacks, look at your own risks  SPOILER: Show
In fact there are no explanations about what happened between Jo and Ha, we only get a very brief flashback of a few seconds about a specific event during Third Impact.

Aw fuck. Guess I'll have to go back and make sure my theory/put-together-very-loosely interpretation of what probably happened between the movies, fits in with what's new in 3.0+1.0. I'm glad it's all new stuff though.
Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:"This is the Dream, Beyond Belief" is certainly not wasted, it appears during one of the biggest climaxes of the entire film! And regarding the Mark.07 Evas, I certainly don't think they're wasted. They get their screentime, they get some cool moments, and then the movie is done with them. They're not major players, but I don't think the movie shafts them either.

Oh that's fucking awesome, I read in the comments on the yt video of the track that it went unused but I guess the guy just didn't remember it.
And now, we wait 7 more years for a Mark.07 RG model kit.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:05 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:Aw fuck. Guess I'll have to go back and make sure my theory/put-together-very-loosely interpretation of what probably happened between the movies, fits in with what's new in 3.0+1.0. I'm glad it's all new stuff though.

Although in a recent stage greeting, Anno revealed that initially Q was supposed to depict the events just after Ha, and that the Next Time preview was based on this initial idea. That idea wasn't kept because Anno didn't liked the idea of a movie without the main character in it (Shinji would had been completely absent from this proto-Q), so he skipped the story to Shinji's awakening 14 years later.
Anno also give us the (very) broad strokes of the events of this movie (in spoiler because it spoils a couple of points from Shin):
After 2.0, Gendo and Fuyutsuki lose their position of Commander and Vice-Commander of NERV and disappear somewhere unknown, and Kaworu and Kaji take their place. Kaji is trying to covertly protect his life-restoration project as well as Misato and his small group of people wanting to counter SEELE (this group will be the foundation of WILLE), while Kaworu acts toward whatever plan he has for Shinji's happiness. Both eventually figure out that they aren't loyal to SEELE and thus work together. Eventually Gendo comes back and regain his position, and the actual Third Impact happens, alongside the birth of WILLE.

All of this being things that we can already infer from 3.0 and the last movie.

Anno also said that he doesn't intend to explore or reveal more of what happened during the timeskip.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Anno also give us the (very) broad strokes of the events of this movie (in spoiler because it spoils a couple of points from Shin):
After 2.0, Gendo and Fuyutsuki lose their position of Commander and Vice-Commander of NERV and disappear somewhere unknown, and Kaworu and Kaji take their place. Kaji is trying to covertly protect his life-restoration project as well as Misato and his small group of people wanting to counter SEELE (this group will be the foundation of WILLE), while Kaworu acts toward whatever plan he has for Shinji's happiness. Both eventually figure out that they aren't loyal to SEELE and thus work together. Eventually Gendo comes back and regain his position, and the actual Third Impact happens, alongside the birth of WILLE.

All of this being things that we can already infer from 3.0 and the last movie.

As you said, we can already infer these events from Q and Shin. However, I'm not sure Anno give us these broad strokes in the event.

Anno mentioned that Kaworu and Kaji take the role of Commander and Vice-Commander in that proto-Q movie, but I'am not sure he said other details.

There were twitters (translated by Nuclear Lunchbox), but I though it was theories/inferences from the twitter user:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fcbliebe1900/status/1414180943049330693

Near-Third Impact in Ha → Gendo ousted → Kaworu and Kaji assume command in Gendo's absence, aid in the preservation of NERV and in protecting Misato and co. → Gendo somehow reassumes command at NERV → Gendo uses SEELE, another battle occurs, starts Third Impact → Kaji dies to stop Third Impact → WILLE is born → Q begins

https://mobile.twitter.com/fcbliebe1900 ... 7484254210

Regarding Kaworu, Kaji, and the reason they assumed command and assistance duties at Nerv, Kaworu did it for Shinji, while Kaji did it to take care of his seed research and to help Misato plus the WILLE faction. Both of them had their own interests to take care of, as well as the people they loved and wanted to see happy, and worked together to that end.

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:10 pm

Literally Zaku.

but the 3DCG is so rapid and useless that you don't have time to appreciate the designs and the use of them is in a virtual camera in the sky, so you have a bad grasp of the design itself, it doesn't do anything much remarkable beyond blow up in a quite boring fight scene.

now remember the yamashita concept designs and what they could've had been, creepy evangelions walking on earth corifying everything with their blood.
what a waste it was.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:46 am

View Original PostRegistration2 wrote:now remember the yamashita concept designs and what they could've had been, creepy evangelions walking on earth corifying everything with their blood.
what a waste it was.

When the thread about a Khara in 2016 was re-upped, I remembered that one of the concept arts had the Wunder in a drydock, a 2km long drydock, which obviously doesn't exist in the real world, which might hint that there's a "WILLE motherbase" somewhere with much more tech and infrastructure than what we saw (or maybe even the "Lilin City" that might had been hinted at in the 2015 calendar), in that case those "suicide bombers" might had been used in a scenario where neo-NERV goes on the offensive against WILLE instead of baiting them to attack.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:44 am

View Original PostRegistration2 wrote:Literally Zaku.

but the 3DCG is so rapid and useless that you don't have time to appreciate the designs and the use of them is in a virtual camera in the sky, so you have a bad grasp of the design itself, it doesn't do anything much remarkable beyond blow up in a quite boring fight scene.

now remember the yamashita concept designs and what they could've had been, creepy evangelions walking on earth corifying everything with their blood.
what a waste it was.

Co-sign. I was less than enthused with the uninspired designs in the pamphlet, but it's even worse in action. Comparing it to EoE's MPE's is night and day.
Après moi le déluge!

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:47 am

I don't really understand the point of these evas in the end. The mass produced evas were supposed to be green mark.06, we can see their parts and weapons being produced in 3.33. Why this weird design and why so many of them for something like a 3 minutes appearance? The logistics behind producing them is nonsensical as well.

I would have preferred more scenes with marks 9-12 instead. They were more than enough, and in the end turned to easily disposable fodder as well.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:47 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I don't really understand the point of these evas in the end. The mass produced evas were supposed to be green mark.06, we can see their parts and weapons being produced in 3.33. Why this weird design and why so many of them for something like a 3 minutes appearance? The logistics behind producing them is nonsensical as well.

I would have preferred more scenes with marks 9-12 instead. They were more than enough, and in the end turned to easily disposable fodder as well.

This was my biggest gripe with Marks 6, 7, 10, 11 and 12

Mark 6 is hyped since 1.0, and in the end it really lived up to the Mark 6-seconds of screentime joke. It has a major role in the story and very little of it is explored.
Mark 7 looks otherwordly and unsettling (i.e. awesome), but it has so litle time to show it that it feels wasted. Even the Mark 4's gave more battle than all the 7's combined.
And Marks 10-11-12! Nothing! They were last-minute additions and had less than a minute of screentime. Their designs were meh (borderline lazy) and their contribution was basically feed for Eva 8.

Almost half of all Evas were fillers. Imagine that instead of so many variations of Mark 4 we got an independent battle with each of the Marks.
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:17 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Are they at least used the same way as depicted in the concept material?

Does someone have this concept art?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:45 am

Last edited by nerv bae on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:48 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:
View Original Postkuribo-04#931363 wrote:Does someone have this concept art?

Is it this?

https://evangelion.fandom.com/wiki/Evangelion_Mark.07?file=Evangelion_Mark.07_%2528NERV%2529_Concept_Art_Ikuto_Yamashita.jpg

It must be that.
Thank you! :)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:53 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I don't really understand the point of these evas in the end. ... Why this weird design and why so many of them for something like a 3 minutes appearance? The logistics behind producing them is nonsensical as well.
SEELE-01 wrote:Mark 7 looks otherwordly and unsettling (i.e. awesome), but it has so litle time to show it that it feels wasted. Even the Mark 4's gave more battle than all the 7's combined.

Working backwards from what Gendo wants with Asuka, (as an aside, I agree with Nuclear Lunchbox's statement uptopic that "This is the Dream, Beyond Belief" is not wasted) maybe we can infer that the Mark 7s are not armed because Gendo wants to capture Asuka, not kill her. This dictates the Mark 7's mass-produced design as grabby brawlers rather than shooters.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:05 am

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I don't really understand the point of these evas in the end.

It's just a cool action scene, and it's in the style of 3.0 and Shin to drive things to their most extreme conclusion. In this case, the idea of mass produced Evas. It's just part of this hellish, abstract world that such things could be created im such manner.

The logistics behind producing them is nonsensical as well.

I think this is 100% intentional. It's in line with a film that starts destroying the 4th wall some minutes later.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 am

Are the logistics nonsensical, or just unseen?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:06 am

I'd say that depends on where you draw the line for "nonsensical". The Mk.07s seems to be synthesized from raw core mass in a similar fashion to the Mk.04s, perhaps infused with the lingering souls of random people who died during 3I; both of these are available in abundance, and since we have already seen the massive tech facilities of Nerv back in Q, I'd say it falls under unseen, but if you don't buy into the synthezized from core mass theory, it would be very easy to simply dismiss it as nonsensical.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”