Theories as to how the "particle beams" work?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

somedude234
Embryo

Theories as to how the "particle beams" work?

•      
  •      

Postby somedude234 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:10 pm

I'm interested in seeing people's headcanons as to how the lasers fired by specific Angels (Ramiel, Zeruel, etc.) work.
My hypothesis is as follows:
1. User creates A.T. Field "bubble" in front of themselves, traps air inside it
2. "Bubble" suddenly gets very small, compressing collected air into plasma
3. A.T. Field forms into a path for the plasma, which is propelled by expansion force+something else (magnetism? brute force?)
4. "Path" is used to penetrate the target's A.T. Field (ala the Spear of Longinus) as well as whatever else may be in the way, delivering the "payload" directly into the target's Core

There are a couple of unanswered questions here, including:
-Where does the constant stream of plasma come from?
-How is the plasma kept at optimal temperature?
among others.

Would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Theories as to how the "particle beams" work?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:41 pm

To the extent of my knowledge there is no canon explanation for this; if I had to wager a guess, I'd say that it either draws the plasma directly from the Dirac Sea/whatever other high-energy plane the S2 engines are tapped into, or uses ATFs to compress and propel matter around itself; since we see the beams work in space, at least for NTE I think it's the former.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

jeffythedragonslayer
Embryo

Re: Theories as to how the "particle beams" work?

•      
  •      

Postby jeffythedragonslayer » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:01 am

Ramiel fires a positron beam at Eva Unit 01 almost simultaneously when Shinji fires a beam of about equal intensity from the positron rifle at Ramiel. Being both positively charged, the beams deflect off of each other and are attracted to the now negatively charged rifle and Ramiel, which partially repairs the beams' trajectories enough that Rei's Unit 00 gets hit.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”