Q preview in 2.0 is canon now?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
somedude234
Embryo

Q preview in 2.0 is canon now?

•      
  •      

Postby somedude234 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:30 pm

https://twitter.com/scenik8/status/1414191919173750788?s=20

Apparently, Anno said the preview at the end of 2.0 is canon to the Rebuild timeline at an event yesterday. Can anyone confirm this?

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Q preview in 2.0 is canon now?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Interesting if true, but not too surprising.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:55 pm

There is a thread on it in the spoiler subforum; it is indeed true. Not particularily surprising in my opinion, apart from the stuff about Unit 08 that is obviously untrue/was changed after the fact (I believe there was a Twitter thread by Yamashita a while ago that talked how the concept was disregarded to have 13 be more unique), there was nothing in Q that outright contradicted the events seen in the preview, so there was little reason to assume that it wasn't still the thing that broadly happened
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Yes, it is cannon. Anno cleared things up at a recent stage greeting. A summary about the information can be found in this Japanese Youtube video.

Note, there are some spoilers in this video (in Japanese)
Oh, the clock is ticking out

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:23 pm

As far as I can tell, it's less that the preview is canon and more that we now have confirmation from Anno himself that there was a plan for a movie that detailed what happened during the 14 years Shinji was sleeping. That statement, combined with Anno's explanation of certain key events that happened during the 14-year timeskip to lead to the beginning of Q, points toward the 2.0 preview showing us events of this hypothetical version of Q as it was planned at the time.

Considering that there are one or two scenes in the preview for Ha that were different than they appeared in the final film (see: Adams design, Misato slapping Ritsuko outdoors), I think it would be hasty of us to assume that everything we saw in the preview for Q was 100% canon and did happen, and rather that it serves as a general overview of certain things that did happen during that time. There are definitely scenes that do line up, though, so Anno's statement is corroborated (not that it needs to be, he's Anno) by the Q preview.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”