Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BigSkeez0195
Embryo

Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

•      
  •      

Postby BigSkeez0195 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:55 am

Hello all,

Let us all rejoice in the exciting news that we will get to see the final EVA film much sooner than we had anticipated (outside of Japan). I'm curious after reading the news post that the film will be dubbed in over 10 languages including English , Who will be the VO actors in this film. Its safe to assume it will be the original cast but haven't had any confirmation. If anybody has discussed this already certainly let me know but I have reached out to Spike on twitter with the hopes he can legally respond. Asuka just isn't the same without my Tiffany Grant sass!

Zethus Thorne
Adam

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:46 pm

Here's one possibility

Shinji Ikari - Spike Spencer
Asuka Langley Shikinami - Tiffany Grant
Rei Ayanami (Tentative Name) - Brina Palencia
Mari Illustrious Makinami - Trisha Nishimura
Misato Katsuragi - Allison Keith
Ritsuko Akagi - Colleen Clickenbeard
Kaworu Nagisa - Jerry Jewell
Gendo Ikari - John Swassey

Kensuke Aida - Greg Ayres
Toji Suzuhara - Justin Cook

I mean that's all I know from the FUNimation cast that COULD return.

Here's why?

They might have voiced recorded everything via Remote Work at their homes and such.

I've been hearing good things about a new Dubbing Studio that was made years ago called Sound Candence so they may be a choice for the ADR work.

On the other hand...

They could use the Netflix dub cast to come back

Shinji Ikari - Casey Mongillio
Asuka Langley Shikinami - Stephanie McKeon
Rei Ayanami - Ryan Bartley
Plus some others I can't remember

If they did that, they would have to redub 1.11, 2.22, 3.33 to match up with the 3.0 + 1.0 dub

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:56 pm

View Original PostBigSkeez0195 wrote:
Its safe to assume it will be the original cast but haven't had any confirmation.

I have no inside info, I have no idea who will dub this film... But considering everything we do know, I don/t know how it could possibly be safe to assume it will be the same cast.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:19 pm

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but earlier, Spike tweeted the following on Twitter: "If you could ask #Shinji anything, what would it be?
#evangelion #Evangelion3010"

Maybe he's gonna come out and announce he's reprising his role as Shinji?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:06 pm

While “#Evangelion3010” might just be him trend surfing, his insistence on identifying his Twitter with Shinji is curious.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:41 pm

I can't stand Spencer or Grant in those roles, they sound like cookie-cutter stereotypes. I'm ambivalent when it comes to Keith's Misato, she was all over the place in the TV series and I'll have to rewatch the movies to really get a grip on her performance there. I wish Funimation hadn't brought them back and just recast those roles, because other than them, the cast for the movies is pretty good (Clinkenbeard's Ritsuko, Justin Cook's Touji, etc).

I won't be too disappointed if Funimation dubs the last movie, though. They did dub the first three, after all, it would be weird to have just one movie dubbed by a different cast than the first three. And the Japanese version will always be king, regardless of English dub cast. Nobody so far has lived up to Megumi Ogata or Kotono Mitsuishi.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:42 pm

Why is it that we recieve arguable the most exciting news since the launch of the movie, and the first thing that people default to is dub VA crap.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:48 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Why is it that we recieve arguable the most exciting news since the launch of the movie, and the first thing that people default to is dub VA crap.

An English dub is an important selling point for English-speaking anime fans. It's an invaluable marketing tool for studios/licensors/streaming platforms. It's only natural for people to have opinions about how the characters sound in the dub.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:34 pm

Couldn't/wouldn't someone from the original dub cast just say they're in (or not in) the new film on Twitter or something? Would they be embargoed from doing so for some silly reason?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:50 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:An English dub is an important selling point for English-speaking anime fans. It's an invaluable marketing tool for studios/licensors/streaming platforms. It's only natural for people to have opinions about how the characters sound in the dub.

Although I'm sure you didn't intend to be rude or condescending, your tone of your answer unfortunately comes off as rather insulting to Blockio's intelligence, as though you were talking down to a child. It also misses the point he's making. Blockio was criticizing the talk about the English dub is because it sounds like it's being given a higher priority than necessary. The fact remains that we're getting an international streaming release, and the original Japanese voice cast is unquestionably superb, and in the opinions of many (although of course not all) users better than any foreign dub. Whoever is eventually cast should not make a difference to the fact that Shin Evangelion will be available sooner than many of us expected.

Furthermore, I should point out that there are a large number of folks here who watch Evangelion dubbed in languages other than English, and who communicate here using English as their second (or third or fourth) language. For a great many of our users, the priority is not about the English dub cast, but rather about being able to watch the movie and converse with others about it here (in English).

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:While “#Evangelion3010” might just be him trend surfing, his insistence on identifying his Twitter with Shinji is curious.

He's not alone, I know for a fact that Tiffany Grant identifies as Asuka in her email ID. I'm not sure if it's a matter of pride for them, or whether they've genuinely come to identify with the characters they've been voicing.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:38 pm

I for the life of me could not figure out what the hashtag 3010 meant until it finally clicked that it's for 3.0+1.0. Derp.

So maybe they did get him back along some of the other old cast. Really, anything could be the case at this point. I don't think there's any relationship between FUNimation and Amazon, so there's almost certainly going to be some differences between 3.0 and Shin. I also don't think Amazon has ever had a new show dubbed in it's service. When I think Amazon anime like Re: Creators, I don't believe they ever received dubs or physical releases! Vineland Saga is getting one next month, but that's after it got licensed by Sentai. So yeah, I really don't know what to expect, but I'm guessing a complete hodgepodge now.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:11 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Although I'm sure you didn't intend to be rude or condescending, your tone of your answer unfortunately comes off as rather insulting to Blockio's intelligence, as though you were talking down to a child. It also misses the point he's making. Blockio was criticizing the talk about the English dub is because it sounds like it's being given a higher priority than necessary. The fact remains that we're getting an international streaming release, and the original Japanese voice cast is unquestionably superb, and in the opinions of many (although of course not all) users better than any foreign dub. Whoever is eventually cast should not make a difference to the fact that Shin Evangelion will be available sooner than many of us expected.

Furthermore, I should point out that there are a large number of folks here who watch Evangelion dubbed in languages other than English, and who communicate here using English as their second (or third or fourth) language. For a great many of our users, the priority is not about the English dub cast, but rather about being able to watch the movie and converse with others about it here (in English).

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

The original threads discussing the streaming release in general are still there, people's excitement at that aspect has dominated discussion here for months now and is what was first brought up in the relevant threads. The announcement for the streaming release makes a point to include dubbed and subtitled versions, so discussion of those is entirely relevant to what has been announced, even beyond separating it into its own thread as has been done. I have no idea why there would be any criticism on how this discussion thread was broached given the information provided to us and the concern shown to separate it from the general discussion.

I'm going to be blunt here, you do not get to dictate how I or others choose to interact with Evangelion. The language in this post, demeaning others for even considering something other than the original Japanese version because of how inherently superior it is, is condescending to anyone who does not approach Eva in the exact manner you do. If you see more value in the Japanese version and dislike foreign language versions on principle, more power to you. That's how you choose to approach art and I can't fault you for that. But you do not get to tell me how I approach art. The English language version, in particular with key actors such as Spencer, Grant, and Keith, is significant to me and therefore is what I prioritize. I have seen all of Eva in Japanese now, I understand the many advantages that version has and elements that I recognize as outstanding. But that experience has not superseded the English version to me. It is not as important to me. And being able to watch 3.0+1.01 in Japanese on 8-13, which I will be able to do given I have Amazon Prime, does nothing for my primary concern which is who the English dub cast will include. If none of that matters to you or others, wonderful, I hope you enjoy the version you prefer. But those elements are paramount to how I interact with the Evangelion series, and I am offended at being belittled for not meeting your particular expectations on a work that has had an incalculable impact on my life and emotional development. There are no right or wrong answers about what an individual takes from a work of art, only what they personally get out of the experience.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:32 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:
SPOILER: Show
I'm going to be blunt here, you do not get to dictate how I or others choose to interact with Evangelion. The language in this post, demeaning others for even considering something other than the original Japanese version because of how inherently superior it is, is condescending to anyone who does not approach Eva in the exact manner you do. If you see more value in the Japanese version and dislike foreign language versions on principle, more power to you. That's how you choose to approach art and I can't fault you for that. But you do not get to tell me how I approach art. The English language version, in particular with key actors such as Spencer, Grant, and Keith, is significant to me and therefore is what I prioritize. I have seen all of Eva in Japanese now, I understand the many advantages that version has and elements that I recognize as outstanding. But that experience has not superseded the English version to me. It is not as important to me. And being able to watch 3.0+1.01 in Japanese on 8-13, which I will be able to do given I have Amazon Prime, does nothing for my primary concern which is who the English dub cast will include. If none of that matters to you or others, wonderful, I hope you enjoy the version you prefer. But those elements are paramount to how I interact with the Evangelion series, and I am offended at being belittled for not meeting your particular expectations on a work that has had an incalculable impact on my life and emotional development. There are no right or wrong answers about what an individual takes from a work of art, only what they personally get out of the experience.

I stepped in to clear up any misunderstandings about what Blockio meant because that reply to him seemed condescending, and I was clear that I was giving the user the benefit of doubt. Blockio is not alone in holding that opinion. I should also add that the board staff are as welcome to hold and express their opinions as any other user, and that a member of the staff expressing their opinions does not render contrary opinions invalid.

Furthermore, I was quite explicit that others don't share this opinion and I never suggested that everyone here should hold it. Neither was it meant to be condescending or demeaning to those who like the English dub. I'm afraid you've taken offense where absolutely none was meant.

Feel free to prioritize whatever is significant to you, just remember that others do not share that priority and that expressing it does not cast down what you like. If you believe that the original English dub was meaningful to you, by all means, let it be that way.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:32 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Furthermore, I was quite explicit that others don't share this opinion and I never suggested that everyone here should hold it. Neither was it meant to be condescending or demeaning to those who like the English dub. I'm afraid you've taken offense where absolutely none was meant.

Honestly, when I read your message, I though it was pretty condescending to people who like English dub. It's good to know it wasn't intentional.

Curiously, I don't find anything condescending in penguintruth message. The user was just saying their opinion why the English dub is important (Blockio sounds more demeaning in his commentary).

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:52 am

penguintruth's message sounded that way to me, just like you thought my message was condescending when I quite explicitly said it was meant to be clarifying, not condescending. Tone is one of those things that does not always come across clearly over the internet.

I stick to my defense of Blockio and his expression of his personal opinion. You are equally free to contest Blockio's opinion about a discussion of the dub.

BigSkeez0195
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BigSkeez0195 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:54 am

A part of me understood there would be some discussions about interests regarding dub actors and I can agree with some takes on style in which spike and Tiffany almost give a cliche effort to their roles. But I’ve grown accustomed to hearing their voice when I see these characters. I was at no point trying to push the idea of superiority with any language. I enjoy watching the Japanese dub as well. There’s many ways to enjoy content. Also I’ve had a few interactions with spike via Twitter. Earlier this year I had inquired into his involvement with the final film and received this response https://twitter.com/spikespencer/status ... 70372?s=21

Now just last night I again reached out to him and received a like by him

https://twitter.com/bigskeez0105/status ... 58310?s=21

Again this is hardly confirmation but certainly seems promising!

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:41 am

Honestly I really hope it's the Funimation cast.
While I can see why some prefer it would be the Netflix cast, the Funimation cast is just the one that I've known, just like with the ADV dub. It's weird, because I was fine with Neon Genesis in Japanese after watching it dubbed, but hearing a different English language version was really something I couldn't get past. I've done the Rebuilds subbed and dubbed too, but I don't think I'd bother finishing it dubbed if it was the Netlix actors. There's also the fact that to me it would just be really annoying if the Funimation cast weren't able to finish what they started, because I mean, they started dubbing in 2009, and for them to be unable to finish all this time later would be kinda sad.
Either way: no matter what happens, at least I'll have the subbed option too!
wait waht

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:18 am

My post wasn't intended to be condescending, I was just trying to point out the importance of English dubs as a selling point for anime, and thus the reason for all the controversy over who will be in this dub. If it was too obvious a statement, I apologize.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:30 am

Thank you for the clarification, penguintruth. No worries! And to be honest, I can't question the fundamental points that you've raised.

I personally wouldn't want to speculate about the English dub cast, or in fact any of the other dubs at the moment, because the way I see it there are a great many options on the table and not enough clarity about how things will play out. Had Khara been working with Netflix again and not Amazon, I would lean towards a re-dub of all four movies (not just Shin Eva) with the Netflix English cast. But with Amazon, I have no idea what will happen. (I can't recall if the press release said anything about Amazon having the rights to release the Funi dubs of the last three movies)

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:32 am

Netflix has nothing to do with it since they weren’t the ones that dubbed it anyways, they just got the distribution rights. So I don’t think the Rebuilds being distro’d through Amazon are indicative of which dub cast is being used.

Personally I’d be very surprised if it was dubbed by Funimation, and rumors suggest they HAVE went back and re-dubbed the first three movies. I suppose it’s possible that they put together a new cast and independently contracted some of the old VA’s (I dunno enough about the dubbing industry, are VA’s tied to the studios they work for? I assume they’d be able to take independent work as well). But either way we’ll find out soon enough.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”