EoTV Episode 25- an overlooked part in 'the real world'?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Lacissal
Lilith

EoTV Episode 25- an overlooked part in 'the real world'?

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:19 am

I did a rewatch of the series recently, as well as assembling a source compilation of statements by Eva staff on the production of the original planned Episode 25 before scheduling issues required it to be ditched, and one scene stuck out which I don't think I've really seen discussed. Most people here will be familiar with the scenes from the 'real world' we see in Ep 25- Ritsuko face down dead in the LCL, Misato bleeding out on the ground, Unit 02 in the fetal position in the GeoFront lake with Asuka in the cockpit, Gendo going to fetch Rei III, that we see again in the first half of EoE, but there's another scene which seems to be dialogue happening in 'the real world' rather than Instrumentality.

For reference it's around 10.20 into the episode, just after the half-way eye catch and the teleops stating 'the Instrumentality of Hearts and Souls begins'

Gendo: "No, it is not that we are returning to nothingness.
We are only restoring everything to its original state.
We are only returning to our mother, who has been lost to this world.
All souls will become one and find eternal peace. That is all there is to it."

Misato: "And that's the Instrumentality Project?"

Ritsuko:"That's Right. There is always a void, a part that has been lost to our hearts. [more teleops]
Every single person fears that darkness in their heart and lives life trying to escape from it, to banish it.
Even though it will never disappear as long as we remain human."

Misato; "That's why you're going to bundle all human souls together, so we can compensate for the void in each other?!
And you're just going to do thid to everyone?! Mind your own business!
That's nothing more than a conspiracy to deceive us!"

Ritsuko: "But you've been wishing for it to happen too."

In contrast to the rest of the psycho-analytical style of the rest of the episode, this seems to be playing out in the real world as in a scene where Misato confronts Gendo and Akagi about the Instrumentality project (this would be a natural conclusion to her story arc with Kaji and investigating Nerv, the Evas, Lilith etc) and I would argue it's probably 'actual' dialogue from the original ep 25 scenario included along with the real world images to give context. Gendo's line in bold also gives important info on the last minute reveal of Lilith. Also before the eye-catch, Shinji's lines describing the sensation of melting as Instrumentality commences might also be salvaged from the real world action of the original script.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: EoTV Episode 25- an overlooked part in 'the real world'?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:01 am

that is definitely a very important scene

I for one thing believe Misato & Ritsuko shot each other in this timeline.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: EoTV Episode 25- an overlooked part in 'the real world'?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:34 pm

Shinji feeling the start of Instrumentality comes before the eyecatch, this dialogue comes afterwards. Assuming the events shown in ep25 are in chronological order, which makes sense, this would be happening inside Instrumentality during the chaos that ensued immediately following Third Impact, when everyone was confused and terrified, before they became one and settled down [shown in the like 700 different still frames near the end of Komm Susser Tod in EoE]. We have no reason to believe this is an alternate timeline yet, and maybe the series and movie actually are the same timeline but from different perspectives, which is a theme of the TV ending after all.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”