What does Evangelion remind you of?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

What does Evangelion remind you of?

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:10 am

Here on EvaGeeks we are always making analysis and talking about how Neon Genesis Evangelion touched our minds on a fundamental level. That said, I would like to explore a different side of our experiences with the series. I'm aiming for a more personal and laid-back thread. What does Evangelion remind you of? Keep in mind that I'm not talking about in-universe elements. It's more about how you associate random stuff to the series. That's such a volatile question. As we are all unique and watched the anime at different times in our lives, the answers will not be uniform. It doesn't help that NGE is a show whose episodes vary a lot from each other (in tone and overall structure). We try to group them into subcategories, but this can only go up to a certain limit. I believe this is really noticeable on the first watch. You find yourself watching episode 24 and wondering: "Damn, is this the same show that gave us episode 7?" It's not jarring, but different. Anyway, the uniqueness of the answers is precisely what makes them interesting.

Evangelion reminds me of the open sea. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because of episode 8. I remember watching it on a monday night. I was really happy and excited because my winter break was coming up (it was around the end of June). Anyway, Asuka Strikes resonated with me. It was a nice change of pace and a lot of it had to do with the setting. It's nice to see the characters using the unique environment in their advantage (Asuka's hopscotch is a classic).
On a similar note, NGE also reminds me of sunny days. I started watching it around the beginning of winter, but that doesn't mean much. Where I live it can be cold in winter, but the sunlight rarely goes away. Well, it could also be because, contrary to popular belief, Evangelion works with a bright color palette on several occasions. Air immediately comes to my mind as I think about this. Its color palette has a very low saturation (functioning under shades of white, blue and green).
The End of Evangelion reminds me of the sunset. I vividly remember the first time I watched this movie. It ended around 6:30 pm. Interestingly, the last time I saw EOE, it ended at sunrise. I remember not being able to eat properly for a week after watching this film. I remember feeling good about what I had just watched and having fun looking up information about the series (I miss the time when I didn't know anything about Evangelion). I also remember being isolated for a few days (which made me feel a bit lonely in the midst of my winter break). It reminds me of the book I was reading, the worst noodles I've ever cooked and the good days I spent with my girlfriend. Oh, good memories! It's funny how our brain makes these associations.
Oh, it also reminds me of Daft Punk and futuristic things in general. This is important!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: What does Evangelion remind you of?

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:46 am

Glad to see you back BC you always have such interesting posts.

Honestly I love the broken characters, because aren't the majority of us broken in some way? as for me I'm reminded of my absolute worst
personality traits. I have some of the worst portions of both Shinji and Asuka incorporated into my psyche (NGE specific) and it almost makes me blush watching it play out on screen every time I do a re-watch. I keep those demons crushed down where they belong of course but I shudder to think what I would
be like if I had either money or political power. (I'm pretty content to be a nobody)

I'm am also reminded, on the plus side, that we can at least at times, overcome these deficits to triumph.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

RichieIkari7
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby RichieIkari7 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:15 pm

There's been a lot of times that I'll watch something nowadays and I'll be like "Oh this song/moment/storyline reminds me of eva"

I think Big Hero 6 and Spiderverse remind me of Eva a bit, as for real life situations, certain colour combinations like purple and green make me think of unit 01 or when I watched Persona 4 and thought that Dojima reminded me a bit of Gendo (although that was mostly with his design).

YTPrenewed
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby YTPrenewed » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:47 pm

Other pop culture: It definitely reminds me of Sonic X. Though since Eva came out first and the Sonic franchise has a track record of shoehorning their characters into ripoffs of other shows, it's even possible Sonic X was partly imitating Eva. (Not that Sonic X goes anywhere near as far with the shock value or anything like that, but definitely the contrast in tone, and even little things like all eyes on a major character struggling with a tough decision come to mind.)

Real life: I could compare and contrast myself with damn near every major character in the series if it didn't border on identifying information. So much of it reminds me of myself and/or people I know.

Monarch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Monarch » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:25 pm

Eva, especially the character arcs, remind me of a cave. As you travel through a cave the light from the entrance disintegrates, it becomes easier and easier to feel claustrophobic, you start bumping into things you never expected to block your path.

I feel like most of the characters go through an arc that resembles going into a cave. Their reasons for being slowly dissipate overtime, they feel trapped and tortured by their mind, unprecedented roadblocks enter their lives.

Caves are escapable though, they don’t continuous spiral into nothingness, even if it feels like that. The challenges that Eva’s characters face are escapable, and by the end of the series a number of those challenges have been overcome.
You’re Loved

OutlawThirds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OutlawThirds » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:32 pm

Epic of Gilgamesh. Hear me out on this one. It follows the bad boy king and his savage best friend Enkedu in a brief, heroic romp in the first part where they fight a giant and a celestial beast... then does a complete tonal shift in the second half where Enkedu dies. We're treated to some touching scenes of mourning, then, driven by grief and fear Gilgamesh goes on a fantastical quest for immortality, which proves completely futile. He is left to return to his city and contemplate and make peace with his own mortality.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:52 am

NGE reminds me of a Colonel Kurtz quote from Apocalypse Now:

"I saw a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. This is my dream. It is my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving."

The snail is NERV. The straight razor represents the angel attacks, the siege of the geofront, and the third impact. It's a wonderful illustration of how NERV continually achieves victory by the slimmest of margins, and in the end, some of its people even end up surviving the end of the world.
[Redacted]

OutlawThirds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OutlawThirds » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:31 pm

Ok, another one, EoE reminds me of an old Harlan Ellison yarn called The Fear Of K which is about two people trapped in a timeless hell of their own mutual disgust.

Edit to add: Oh and the ending of EoE gave me distinct Ethan Frome vibes.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”