Hikaru Utada comes out as non-binary

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hikaru Utada comes out as non-binary

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:55 am

Hikaru Utada came out as non-binary during an Instagram livestream with Hideaki Anno. Utada has also expressed preference for the pronoun "Mx" and expressed support for same-sex marriage. Congratulations are in order, I presume, eh?

Ursus also posted these news on the front page.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Hikaru Utada comes out as non-binary

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:45 am

I'm glad she's feeling comfortable enough to come out like that. Utada performed as a woman during songs and concerts before this, so I wonder if that'll change with this development, or if Utada's happier just being honest that the singing and stage performances are simply that: A performance.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:12 am

Congratulations to them, I hope this has an impact on Japan going forward and allows more stars to come forward. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:59 pm

I haven't really heard anything on that front out of Japan as far as big names go (although granted I don't exactly pay attention to celebrity business, so I may very well be wrong), so this is fairly big news; here's hoping that it'll do a thing or two for general acceptance
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:19 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Ursus also posted these news on the front page.

That Utada came out really is big news in itself. No idea how this will be received, but I sincerely hope this is positive for non-binary folks in general and that the positive response overwhelms the usual bigoted pushback against a reveal of this kind. Utada's fans were reportedly highly enthusiastic about the revelation; let's hope that their enthusiasm carries the day.

I do know for a fact that Evangelion has a massive LGBTQ fanbase. I personally haven't heard much about non-binary folks although I won't be surprised at all to discover a significant non-binary fanbase, given how powerfully Evangelion speaks about the nature of human existence. (And I, for one, am happy to keep my gender a mystery ;) )
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:50 pm

Awesome! Congratulations to Mx. Utada!
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:17 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I haven't really heard anything on that front out of Japan as far as big names go (although granted I don't exactly pay attention to celebrity business, so I may very well be wrong), so this is fairly big news; here's hoping that it'll do a thing or two for general acceptance

Last I heard, outside of whatever anime or manga you’ve already heard having queer characters in it, there is no such thing as queer representation in Japan.

It is nonexistent.

Hopefully this helps change that. The younger generation in Japan (from what I’ve seen, anyway) seems to be a lot more open to the idea than the older generations.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:03 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Last I heard, outside of whatever anime or manga you’ve already heard having queer characters in it, there is no such thing as queer representation in Japan.

It is nonexistent.

Hopefully this helps change that. The younger generation in Japan (from what I’ve seen, anyway) seems to be a lot more open to the idea than the older generations.

That's accurate from my understanding they do not have gay marriage countrywide, LGBT couples cannot adopt or have IVF and transgender men and women are sterilized.

The rumour was that in the 2020 Olympics Japan was going to make gay marriage a thing, but Covid-19 stopped this happening, Though this move had it happened could have been to avoid the same bash lash Russia got at holding the 2014 Winter Olympics while claiming LGBT a mental illness.

One Japanese court in March 2021 found the same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional, which is the first baby step but a long way from equal rights, though the 2022 Olympics may still force their hand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56425002
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm very happy for Utada. I hope more and more people feel comfortable to reveal their nature (if they want, of course). ^_^
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:53 am

Good for them!
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”