Evangelion 3.333 Bluray coming out on 8/25

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
xenosaga
Lilith

Evangelion 3.333 Bluray coming out on 8/25

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:44 am

The bluray version IMAX special version they was shown in January is coming out on August 25th.

They are also having special 3.333 -> Shin screening event on June 27th with another stage greeting event with the cast.
Also sprach Zarathustra

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Evangelion 3.333 Bluray coming out on 8/25

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:53 am

I got very excited for a second and then saw that it wasn't 3.0+1.0. Still, glad we're getting that outside of cinema.

Now it would be wise to assume that 3.0+1.0 wont come until after that date, which is still within expectations.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:07 am

Since 3.333 is just visual changes as far as I know, will we get a dub version too since they can just use the same audio track from 3.33?

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:15 am

Whenever I buy Blu-rays, there's always this expectation of new material and special features, but this is rarely the case for most movies. Evangelion 3.333 might be an exception but I just don't feel there is any novelty in owning Blu-rays copies anymore, except that they are more expensive DVDs.
Last edited by dzzthink on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:16 am

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:Since 3.333 is just visual changes as far as I know, will we get a dub version too since they can just use the same audio track from 3.33?

I think they redubbed few lines? I remember hearing that they changed Asuka's line "Mode change: Code Triple Seven" to "Back Code Three Seven" but not 100% sure if it's true or not.
Also sprach Zarathustra

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:01 am

Puts on Detective Hat:

August 25th is a Wednesday.
The next Wednesday is September 1st.
September 1st is the day the first Rebuild film, Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone, was released in theaters all the way back in 2007.
This September will mark the 14th anniversary since the new film series began.
14 is a very important number to this franchise.
Therefore, Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time will be released on Blu-ray on September 1, 2021.
Case closed.

Takes off Detective Hat. Sticker inside says it's actually a Conspiracy Hat.

Jokes/conspiracies aside, it's exciting this is getting a release and equally exciting is a 4K Disc version is being released! Just pre-ordered mine on CDJapan!

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:13 am

While I've made it a point to own at least one copy of each content revision of every Evangelion main title, I just can't get too enthused about this new 3.333 release. I don't have a UHD player, and beyond that I really don't want to pay ~$60 for the regular Blu-ray version since it doesn't have any new scenes.

I guess I might pick it up used in a few years once its pricing on the secondary drops by at least half, or else there's always the possibility of it being licensed in the US by whoever gets the rights for a 1.11 re-release (GKIDS, perhaps) at which point I would be willing to pony up ~$25 for it.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:45 am

One thing I'm curious about is the aspect ratio of 3.333. I'm not certain, but it seems that it's 16:9 instead of 21:9, judging by a cam recording of the new Shin preview included in the film. But is it expanded to 16:9 or simply cropped from 21:9?

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:10 am

I'd imagine that by the time we actually get our hands on this release, we'll at least know the release date for Shin's home video.

EDIT: In case you're trigger happy, 3.333 is already up for preorder on CDJapan.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:40 am

Did they at least update the NEP at the end of 3.333 with new footage?

Edit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdkFQ0A8hic

They did
Last edited by JupiterCallisto on Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:41 am

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:One thing I'm curious about is the aspect ratio of 3.333. I'm not certain, but it seems that it's 16:9 instead of 21:9, judging by a cam recording of the new Shin preview included in the film. But is it expanded to 16:9 or simply cropped from 21:9?

The official announcement at Eva Info has all its example screenshots composited in the 21:9 AR, so I would assume that isn't changing from its 3.0 and 3.33 predecessors.

This makes sense as it's one thing to do animation touch-ups and re-render the output in higher resolution, but another thing altogether to recomposite an entire movie's worth of shots to fit a "narrower" 16:9 AR.
Last edited by svenge on Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:42 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:EDIT: In case you're trigger happy, 3.333 is already up for preorder on CDJapan.

I feel that also answers the question of will any of this years Japanese Rebuild releases include English subs...and the answer is no. That'll be an alternate acquisition for me, happy to import when there's subs but not much point without.

Really wish that was more common, it was very nice being able to just import the Heaven's Feel releases and not wait for local ones.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:46 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:
View Original PostTheFriskyIan#925066 wrote:EDIT: In case you're trigger happy, 3.333 is already up for preorder on CDJapan.

I feel that also answers the question of will any of this years Japanese Rebuild releases include English subs...and the answer is no. That'll be an alternate acquisition for me, happy to import when there's subs but not much point without.

Really wish that was more common, it was very nice being able to just import the Heaven's Feel releases and not wait for local ones.

The closest thing to what you desire would be the licensed Hong Kong Blu-ray (w/ English subs and locked to Region "A") of Shin Eva, which typically gets released 3-4 months after its Japanese counterpart but still well in advance of the Anglosphere (US/UK/AUS) markets. I own the HK BD of 3.33, and it's actually rather superior to the Funimation release in terms of video quality.

Of course seeing that you're in Scotland, you'd have to own a region-free player to make the HK BD a viable option as European players are coded for Region "B".

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:10 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:Of course seeing that you're in Scotland, you'd have to own a region-free player to make the HK BD a viable option as European players are coded for Region "B".

Yep, that's why I like the Japanese releases having subs. Don't have to worry about any region locks, I just take my expensive BD and go. Obviously there are other means to get releases around the day of release in Japan, which I'll also happily partake in until I can buy an appropriate release, but it's nice when you can just buy it early from Japan if you really want to.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:52 pm

Hopefully the Hong Kong release will include the 4K UHD. If not, I might import the Japanese 4K UHD, even without the English subs.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:04 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Hopefully the Hong Kong release will include the 4K UHD. If not, I might import the Japanese 4K UHD, even without the English subs.

There is some precedent for HK licensees of newer Japanese anime films getting rights for UHD discs (e.g. "Your Name" and "Weathering With You") so it is a possibility.

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:15 pm

It is mentioned that the film was remastered in a 2048x858p resolution (2K CinemaScope) so the aspect ratio was not expanded to 1.90:1, 16:9 or 4:3 for IMAX for 3.333 and 3.0+1.0.
Such a shame since Shin Evangelion (if it ever comes out here in IMAX) was the IMAX film I really wanted to see alongside Top Gun: Maverick, since the latter was shot in IMAX and fully expanded to 1.90:1 in IMAX. I would be even more excited if it expanded to 4:3 but I am already satisfied even with 1.90:1.

Yes, IMAX is sometimes 4:3, The Lion King remake was in 1.85:1 for most of the film but expanded to 4:3 for some showings in musical numbers. Christopher Nolan films also expanded to 4:3 for some scenes in IMAX while those same scenes are expanded to 16:9 on home video. Batman v. Superman expands to 4:3 for some scenes in IMAX but the film was in CinemaScope for the entire film in its original release, until the remastered version where the film shrinks horizontally but expands vertically for the IMAX scenes, having 4:3 and CinemaScope scenes in a 16:9 frame. Zack Snyder's Justice League, a film shot entirely for IMAX, was in 4:3 for the entire film.
Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame was shot in IMAX and was projected in CinemaCope for regular cinemas but expanded to 1.90:1 for IMAX.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:03 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnLnr_50jq8 Breakdown trailer. Really looking forward to this one too.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Tlalac
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tlalac » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:15 am

View Original PostHARVEST wrote:It is mentioned that the film was remastered in a 2048x858p resolution (2K CinemaScope) so the aspect ratio was not expanded to 1.90:1, 16:9 or 4:3 for IMAX for 3.333 and 3.0+1.0.

Do you mean for the IMAX projections ?
or
Can we expert a real 4K UHD Bluray on the 25th ? (remastered)
God's in His Heaven, Anno's in His thoughts, Everyone's trolled

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 pm

Mine was delivered today, so I can take some pictures of how it looks on my 50" TV when I get home.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”