Question regarding DC and OA episodes

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
kenzotenma
Embryo

Question regarding DC and OA episodes

•      
  •      

Postby kenzotenma » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:49 pm

Hello everyone! Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

I started watching Eva a few days ago for the first time and I'm coming up on episode 21. My question is: should I watch the original episodes 21 to 24, watch only the director's cut episodes, or both ?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Re: Question regarding DC and OA episodes

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:48 pm

Welcome to EvaGeeks, DOKUTAH TENMA. Although this is more of a question for General and Chit-Chat than Discussion, I understand your confusion.

If you're pressed for time and just need to choose between one or the other, stick to the DC episodes. Those add several new scenes, fix minor mistakes and add improved animation in places, so you're not missing anything of substance from the original versions if you watch those alone.

However, if you're a completionist or just want to watch things in the order in which they were made available, I'd say watch the originally aired(OA) episodes and then the director's cut(DC) episodes. Or if you really want to see how the DC episodes cleaned up/expanded upon the OA versions, watch the OA episode first, and then the DC counterpart. It's quite interesting, and we have a set of pages on the wiki showing the changes.

You might want to visit the pages below - after viewing the episodes, of course -

https://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_21_OA_vs._DC
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_22_OA_vs._DC
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_23_OA_vs._DC
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_24_OA_vs._DC

I hope this is of help!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:51 am

Some fans believe that the OA episodes better lead into episodes 25 and 26, whereas the DC episodes better lead into episodes 25' and 26' (also known as the film The End of Evangelion.)

Personally, I'd recommend watching the DC episodes no matter what. I don't think there's anything in the OA version that is superior to the additional materials we get in the DC episodes.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:44 am

the DC eps are basically exactly the same but with extra scenes and cleaned-up animation so you wouldn't really miss anything by skipping right to the DC.

IF you wanted to watch the OA (I suppose you could argue that the very presence of extra scenes would alter the emphasis), I'd recommend watching the OA ones and the last two eps, and then watch the DC eps and EoE, as they basically add extra stuff to foreshadow/explain the movie.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:12 am

Yeah, across the board DC is the better option if you're just doing one of the two.
the DC for 24 is a bit of a mess as far as the continuity is concerned, but that's just pedantry, hardly something that matters on a first watch.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kenzotenma
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kenzotenma » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:57 am

Thank you to everyone who replied, really helped. :thumbsup:

gibbdude
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gibbdude » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:58 pm

I'm going to go directly against what everyone else is saying and recommend that you watch the OA versions of the episodes, then the original Death (not True or True^2) movie, then EoE, and only watch the DC episodes if you're curious. I find that the fact that the DC additions were made retroactively means that they don't cohere well with the original material, and since they were all taken from Death, it's best to watch them there in the context for which they were originally conceived. The original Death is the most complete version of it in my eyes. True and True^2 are edited in a more interesting way, but their revisions to the concept of Death leave them feeling halfway between it and their own thing. With all this said, my take is not the end-all, be-all. It's just what I think based off of my own values and taste. If you see someone else saying something that resonates with you more, then go for that. I just want to offer my viewpoint in case you're like me and will be the most satisfied with the approach I like.

:facepalm: Oh yeah, and I also prefer a lot of the animation in the OA version as well. Look here for a comparison between the broadcast and Renewal animation of the famous elevator scene. I like the vulnerability you see in the older animation, even if it isn't as in line with the show's aesthetic and possibly as much with Anno's vision.

Please do not double post unless either a significant amount of time has passed from your previous post or it is necessary. Thanks.
-Zusuchan
Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:14 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the extra scenes we see in the DC are actually extracted from Death and Rebirth. Later, most of them were taken down from Death (TRUE) and Death (TRUE)2.
Death (TRUE)2 made its way to the Revival of Evangelion and the DC episodes were featured in the Renewal of Evangelion.
That's why a lot of these things seem tailor-made for The End of Evangelion. They were conceptualized at about the same time. Death was a great way to synthesize the original series (while also having its own flavor) and Rebirth hyped everyone up for EOE. Both segments were intrinsically connected, so it makes sense for Death to set the stage for Rebirth (and, by extension, EOE). Maybe that's why the extra scenes were cut once Death became a stand-alone product. I don't know.
These days, I prefer to watch Death (TRUE)2 and then proceed to The End of Evangelion (as if I was experiencing the Revival of Evangelion). I mean, this is the best of both worlds. You get arguably the best cut of Death plus the entirety of Air. Anyway, there is still some value in Death and Rebirth (its ending, for example, is simply great).
As for the DC episodes, I really like them. Renewal is, in my opinion, the true form of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Episode 22 is my favorite of the series. Its only true competitors would be episodes 25, 26 and EOE. That said, the DC iteration of it (22') is much better. It's one of those things that literally makes your jaw drop, at least for me. They are also available on Netflix (making them extremely accessible to the casual audience)!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”