The size of Eva Mark. 6

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

The size of Eva Mark. 6

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Hi!
I stumbled upon a post in Taringa regarding the size of Eva Mark 6.
More especifically, the OP stated that the Eva is bigger than the regular Evas (i.e. 00-03).
As evidence he gives a size comparison between Eva hands, first, Kaworu sitting on the fingertip of Mark 6:
SPOILER: Show

And then of Shinji on the palm of Eva 02:

By this scaling, Mark 06 would be larger than the other Evas: we see a Kaworu slightly taller than a single Eva phalange vs Shinji, equal in height to at least two.

Furthermore, he argues that the "giant" Mark 06 that is fused with Lilith on Eva Q is, in fact, the real size of Mark 6:

We see here that while bigger, it is not that much larger, and may more-or less fit on the expected size scale of the first image.

As shown, it would appear that Mark 6 is indeed larger than other Evas, though some arguments can be do to and against that theory:
First is that the Shinji-Eva 02 comparison may be biased, as the Unit was deformed by the Beast mode. Even then, Unit 02's body seemed to stretch, so the hand would, in fact, be smaller.
Second is that Mark 6 and Eva 01 share one scene, and while not upright nor close, they do not seem different in size:

The scene where Mark 9 beheads Mark 6 is hard to use, as perspective and dramatic angles impede give an aproximation of size for those two Evas.
Next is the universal problem of changing Eva scale:

In this shot, Eva 13 looks smaller than in the 3rd image (take for reference, the size of Mark 06 arm).

What do you think?
Was he onto something or are the Evangelion sizes being inconsistent again? Given that Mark "60 seconds of screentime"* doesn't do much, drawing conclusions proves a bit difficult...

*I counted, it's ~87 seconds across all 3 movies. And that's counting all scenes, even when its without armor in 1.0 and 2.0 and the glimpses of the petrified unit in the background of the Terminal Dogma fight in Q... The Eva spends an astounding 8 seconds active (i.e, with Kaworu inside) in the films...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: The size of Eva Mark. 6

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 13, 2021 10:51 pm

The shot of Kaworu sitting on the finger could be a minor exaggeration, though it wouldn't be out of the question for the Mk.06 to be ever so slightly larger. The most dramatic difference is definitely between Unit 13 and the Mk.06 in Terminal Dogma, though we don't know what happened to it during the fourteen-year timeskip. We know humans modified it, somehow-- did they make it larger? Or did it increase in size when it fused with Lilith? Does being a vessel for the 12th angel have anything to do with this?

I'm hesitant to say it was just a continuity issue, but at the same time I wouldn't want to seize on the idea of it canonically growing in size. Those seem like the most reasonable options, though.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 15, 2021 3:05 pm

While NTE's size issues are far less rampant than NGE's, I guess this would be proof that they do still exist. Fwiw, in most merch lines Mark.06 is a little bit bigger than the rest on most figures, but not nearly to the extent that it lines up with the hand comparison
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sun May 16, 2021 3:01 pm

Holy crap while there is a small difference, there is indeed some and HOW AM I JUST NOW SEEING THIS!?!?!? xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 26, 2021 4:29 pm

For what is worth, we have another shot of a human being next to a Eva hand in Q, when Mark.09 come pick up Shinji:

From the look of it, Shinji is around the same height as a one of its phalanx, which is roughly the same size as Kaworu on top of Mark.06's hand.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed May 26, 2021 7:25 pm

And we later see the Mark.09 with Unit 02' crawling all over it, which would suggest relative standardization between those units. And as it happens, Unit 02 picks up and carries Shinji in 2.0. Perhaps this really was just an animation goof.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Just a quick necromance:
Official Eva merchandise from 3.0+1.0 shows a lineup of all Eva units seen in NTE, and indeed, Mark 6 is slightly larger than the regular Production Model Eva:

Not only that, but all Mark units are bigger than Production Models!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:28 pm

so that confirms what we've pretty much speculated for a while. On an aside - damn, I didn't realize just how massive the 4As and 07s were.
also I will not stand for this 04 erasure
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:also I will not stand for this 04 erasure

That conveniently didn't stop them from making figures with the old design

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”