Any way to watch or read a transcript of funi's original 3.0 dub?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Any way to watch or read a transcript of funi's original 3.0 dub?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon May 10, 2021 9:21 pm

funimation are incompetent dumbasses, we all know that, but apparently, based on this Reddit post-
https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/c3u5ph/context_on_why_khara_decided_to_closely_supervise/
-they did such a shit job with the dub of 3.0 that it was the catalyst for the massive gap between theatrical and DVD/BD release since they had to redo the whole thing with Khara watching over their shoulder like an irritated teacher. It sounds hilarious, I'd love to watch or read a transcript of it, but I can only find a few camrip clips uploaded by youtube channel xSweetInnovade, some of which don't even have audio. Is it archived anywhere, or just more EVA lost media like Cartoon Network's censored versions of NGE episode 1 and 2 for Giant Robot Week?
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

mastafishere
Lilith

Re: Any way to watch or read a transcript of funi's original 3.0 dub?

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Tue May 11, 2021 12:29 pm

Honestly I don't think anyone had the foresight to record it. It was a limited run plus the impression was that the home release was right around the corner.I saw the movie in a half-packed theater in Princeton, NJ and the reaction from the audience echoes that Baltimore screening. HUGE laugh at the "asshole" line and giggling all throughout the Shinji/Kaworu scenes. There was also a huge laugh when Mari and Asuka see Fourth Impact and Mari had a line like "Hooooly shit." (Sorry I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like this) I believe that was changed in the Khara-approved dub.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Tue May 11, 2021 2:38 pm

First of all: Wow at that YouTube channel. That's a time capsule if ever there was one....even the username itself. I hope they're doing all right these days.

Unless 3.0 was played off of a Blu-ray disc (not the usual delivery method for films in theatres as far as I know) that still exists somewhere, I think the original dub is forever lost for all intents and purposes, forever hidden away. I wish I could be more helpful, but yeah...it depends on the delivery method. There is always the potential it will show up one day if Funimation used Blu-rays, I suppose, which may still exist.

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:more EVA lost media like Cartoon Network's censored versions of NGE episode 1 and 2 for Giant Robot Week?

I'm not 100% convinced this is lost media. There are rumours the first episode was uploaded to the Internet archive for a while in the late 2010s. There's less talk of the 2nd episode being available, but there might be a copy as well. I'm not really interested in seeking it out myself...but I do suspect the first episode at least is out there. It'd be an odd thing to lie about, though stranger things have happened.

Here's a video essay on this subject, timestamped: https://youtu.be/ibJnAIx1_-M?t=420
Don't be.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu May 13, 2021 7:00 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:I'm not 100% convinced this is lost media. There are rumours the first episode was uploaded to the Internet archive for a while in the late 2010s. There's less talk of the 2nd episode being available, but there might be a copy as well. I'm not really interested in seeking it out myself...but I do suspect the first episode at least is out there. It'd be an odd thing to lie about, though stranger things have happened.

Here's a video essay on this subject, timestamped: https://youtu.be/ibJnAIx1_-M?t=420

OHHHH WE GOT IT BOY
This uh... this should have been linked under that video essay lol
The reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Toonami/commen ... _episodes/
The google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... St9jUUld52
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”