Privacy and pronouns

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

Privacy and pronouns

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed May 05, 2021 2:18 pm

View Original PostTastyCap wrote:They enjoyed it enough to want to rewatch the show as soon as we finished, so they're certainly engaged.

That's what I figured.

View Original PostTastyCap wrote: They're a quieter, less analytical person, not the type to do endless research or read other's thoughts on the show on their own volition, but Eva always comes up at some point in the day. I know for a fact they've had emotional reactions to the series and find it comforting, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with associating the series as an activity we did as a couple. Either way, I'm happy they liked it and gave it a chance, especially with how polarizing initial reactions to the series can be.

Maybe it's not my place to bring this up, but I can't help but notice you deliberately avoid gendered pronouns when referring to your partner. Do they identify as non-binary? Again, it's none of my business, so apologies if I'm sniffing around where I shouldn't.

TastyCap
Embryo

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby TastyCap » Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 am

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
View Original PostTastyCap#922140 wrote:Maybe it's not my place to bring this up, but I can't help but notice you deliberately avoid gendered pronouns when referring to your partner. Do they identify as non-binary? Again, it's none of my business, so apologies if I'm sniffing around where I shouldn't.

Ah, no, it's perfectly fine. I tend to avoid it for privacy reasons, I'm overly cautious about giving out information about others without their consent. Just a weird habit I've fallen into that I can't seem to shake.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Thu May 06, 2021 1:33 pm

View Original PostTastyCap wrote:Ah, no, it's perfectly fine. I tend to avoid it for privacy reasons, I'm overly cautious about giving out information about others without their consent. Just a weird habit I've fallen into that I can't seem to shake.

Gotcha. For what it's worth, I think it's a perfectly reasonable habit. I just felt compelled to ask, apologies if my prying put you in an uncomfortable spot.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 06, 2021 1:38 pm

I have mostly broken decades-old habits, and now use gender-neutral language when I can; not so much for privacy, but because nearly always someone's gender is simply irrelevant.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 06, 2021 1:43 pm

I wonder how difficult it would be to a third choice of gender marker, just as a "why not?" thing.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I wonder how difficult it would be to a third choice of gender marker, just as a "why not?" thing.

This has been the development here in Iceland, because they/them doesn't really work with our language like it does in English. I'm not convinced it's an ideal solution, because unlike they/them which is already gender-neutral and communicates an absence of gender, creating a "new gender-neutral pronoun" just kind of comes off like you're inventing a third gender, which is not really what identifying as non-binary is about (well, from what I know, anyway). Still, can't really see a better solution myself, and I don't identify as non-binary, so it's not for me to figure out anyway.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu May 06, 2021 4:13 pm

No no, I meant that it would be neat if you could click a third option on your profile (not that we should all use neopronouns by default or something that's infeasible & overkill)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 06, 2021 5:44 pm

On the forum I run I removed the binary gender selection (in the beta of the next release it's been generalised, though) and replaced it with a free text field called "personal information". Some people put a gender there, and others don't - but the system doesn't limit them.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Thu May 06, 2021 6:11 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:No no, I meant that it would be neat if you could click a third option on your profile (not that we should all use neopronouns by default or something that's infeasible & overkill)

Oh, lol, my bad. Isn't that kind of an option already, since you can just choose to not display gender?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”