What kind of outfits would Rei wear?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

What kind of outfits would Rei wear?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun May 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Ok, so say that Rei was given a more distinct personality, like a kind of bubbly and cheerful disposition as shown in EOTV, I’ve been kind of wondering what sort of outfits she would wear to match her personality.

Would she wear something fancy or casual? Or something that would fit today’s trend?

I’ve seen many fan arts, though I’m interested in what be considered close to canon.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: What kind of outfits would Rei wear?

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun May 02, 2021 4:57 pm

I'd look at the official fashion art for the Evangelion clothes lines as they have lines just for Rei. Though if this is for fanfiction writing I'd say write what ever you want. ^_^

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 02, 2021 5:54 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote: a more distinct personality,

implying she doesn't have one already.

And if you were to just give her a random one, then obviously the choice of clothes would be "whatever goes with the personality you chose to give her"

Let's look at what choices she does make:
- The first Rei was evidently just gotten the same hairdo as Yui, but while teen Rei maintained something roughly similar out of habit, it's actually NOT the same - she doesn't mind it falling into her face, and it's notably shorter, and poofier (probably Yui used expensive shampoo to 'tame' it)
- She was given the black socks precisely because they were unfashionable, but then after EVA aired they became popular because of the show's wide success

Otherwise it might be good to look at official artworks (especially from peeps actually involved with the show like Yamashita or Sadamoto) or that one page from the 2.0 CR where they briefly considered having her come in civilian clothing (though I'd agree with the decision that it )

I'd say many of these get it about right with either 'classical' elegant look or comfy practical stuff.

Obviously she is overdoing the minimalism out of self-neglect that resulted from the external neglect & could benefit from just trying new stuff for the fun/pleasure of it, but minimalism, strong introversion or choosing practical hairstyle/clothes/etc. is not in itself pathological, I wouldn't assume she would immediately default to the performance of conventional feminity, that's swapping one role-based identity for another, not discovering authenticity.

If you wanna get a better read on her it might help you to read the script & pay attention to her stage directions.
I'd just take the way she normally acts & maybe soften some of the more extreme edges, or further expand on aspects that only became clear later in the series (like an unmet need for connection)

I'd describe her as
- stoic, serious, driven, determined ("mature for her age" as Kensuke puts in ep 14, or the 'strenght' Shinji points out) - there's a certain 'grin & bear it' attitude which doesn't mean that she doesn't actually suffer the stuff she's put through - on a related note, she starts out genuinely believing that Gendo's plan is for the best (not just robotically obeying - she smacks Shinji & all), she shouldn't be like robotic or super clueless about everything like some ppl write her, but like a soldier used to deprivation who eventually can't really bring themselves to buy the propaganda anymore
- pessimistic, sad, resigned (she's ultimately cynical about her importance/situation & even Gendo - see ep 11) - this is a factor that rly gets lost a lot of the time though Anno considered it like, the main one. She's not so much blank as subdued & resigned, knowg from the beginning how everything would end.
- direct, bold, genuine, brutally honest - because of her inexperience & tendency not to value things & a lot of detaching to cope with her crappy circumstances, she doesn't always have awareness of what she wants but when she does is becomes quite clear quickly.
- insightful/ perceptive, pensive (this becomes apparent in fight scenes, internal monologues, the odd philosophic statement... but she also reads those thick-ass books some of which seem chosen to understand her surroundings, like biology books)
- kind, caring - though this is something that by its very nature is an interpersonal trait that wouldn't show itself until she got some interaction. Still, she consistently expresses concern or desire to help when anything unpleasant befalls her fellow pilots. Like trying to give Asuka advice, or hesitating to fire on Touji.
- though obviously there is some inexperience & unconventionality in direct interpersonal interaction & life in general. Though I'd think she'd always remain a bit unconventional/ having less pronounces social instincts & thus seeing things from an unique perspective.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

caser713
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby caser713 » Sat May 22, 2021 5:36 pm

this is just my opinion, but i think that if someone let her choose what she wanted to wear (like if Misato took her shopping) she would pick out neutral colored, frilly clothes :} maybe also things like white button-ups and plaid skirts, since they'd fit in with the uniformity she's had all her life.

like this! sorry the image is massive lol

(i imagine this scenario happening if Rei 2 hadn't died and was able to get more in touch with her emotions. also if eoe never happened lol)

as for slice of life universe Rei, I think she'd wear casual, almost beachy clothes like Asuka!
Last edited by caser713 on Sun May 23, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you're all you need, you're all you have

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:12 pm

View Original Postcaser713 wrote:this is just my opinion, but i think that if someone let her choose what she wanted to wear (like if Misato took her shopping) she would pick out neutral colored, frilly clothes :} maybe also things like white button-ups and plaid skirts, since they'd fit in with the uniformity she's had all her life.

like this! sorry the image is massive lol

(i imagine this scenario happening if Rei 2 hadn't died and was able to get more in touch with her emotions. also if eoe never happened lol)

as for slice of life universe Rei, I think she'd wear casual, almost beachy clothes like Asuka!

^That outfit is pretty nice! Really matches her!

I could also imagine her in something casual as well, maybe like a blue T shirt of some kind with some jeans, something a little on the plain side. She could also wear something cute to match her childlike personality full of wonder.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 23, 2021 9:26 am

^^ id agree with both of the last two suggestions
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 pm

This might sound a little weird, but could anyone actually imagine her in some sort of goth girl outfit or something on the punk or rebellious side? Not that she actually is one.

caser713
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby caser713 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:52 pm

I think it would look really cute on her! Personally I think lolita-goth would suit her best, but really any style would work on her. Plus it might be fun to have her style contradict her personality if you wanted to give her a more bubbly one
you're all you need, you're all you have

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue May 25, 2021 6:13 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:This might sound a little weird, but could anyone actually imagine her in some sort of goth girl outfit [...]

There's this official art:
From 2008 calendar  SPOILER: Show

I believe that any outfit suits Rei, she is a girl with a unique beauty.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Tue May 25, 2021 11:13 am

It took me a moment to realize that her hands are just behind her back, not absolutely non-existent...
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”