Something I realized about Asuka

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Something I realized about Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:25 pm

There was something about Asuka that came off as tragic, and it’s the fact that she was a part of the machinations of Gendo and SEELE.

Yes, that much is obvious by now, but it was something I’ve picked up, and it’s really sad about what she has been through. I mean, think about it; if wasn’t for NERV, Asuka’s mother would still be around and she would’ve had a more normal childhood.

There was something else I’ve found out about her in Rebuild, but I will not discuss it here.

A kid born and raised to pilot an EVA and nothing else, could you imagine what that experience was like for her? She was just merely used as a tool for NERV and SEELE to achieve their end results. They totally screwed her life over, and that’s just tragic, to have her be a nobody without the use of an EVA. It’s almost as if NERV practically molded her into becoming an empty shell of a person for their sick twisted end game. You just can’t help but feel sorry for her.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Something I realized about Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:46 pm

The search terms being frequent as they are, I've not been able to track any of the posts where I had made the point that to NERV she was just a disposable weapon at the end. In childhood, she would have been a jealously guarded resource, especially by the NERV Germany personnel without access to the big picture conspiracy, a pampered princess when she wasn't doing pilot training and her hot-housed education, but a child soldier none the less.

The phrases "poor little rich girl" and "bird in a gilded cage" also fit her.

Related posts of mine
post/868096/Thoughts-on-Asuka/#868096
post/488078/The-Asuka-Langley-Soryu-in-my-mind/#488078
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:37 am

Asuka's bad temper and always tries to gain attention all got to do with her tragic past. She wanted to cover her sadness and weakness, no doubt a very tragic figure.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:41 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:Asuka's bad temper and always tries to gain attention all got to do with her tragic past. She wanted to cover her sadness and weakness, no doubt a very tragic figure.

Indeed. She did have a troubled past and tired to hide her weakness. When all that backfired on her, she was just left broken. No doubt she was set up by NERV to fail, they’ve broken her will in order to mold her into a tool to use for their end.

If Asuka had a more normal childhood or someone to truly care for her, no doubt would things be more different. But sadly, no one was there to give her comfort when her mom died, and that’s a real tragedy.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:16 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:
View Original PostSlowpokeking#920218 wrote:Asuka's bad temper and always tries to gain attention all got to do with her tragic past. She wanted to cover her sadness and weakness, no doubt a very tragic figure.

Indeed. She did have a troubled past and tired to hide her weakness. When all that backfired on her, she was just left broken. No doubt she was set up by NERV to fail, they’ve broken her will in order to mold her into a tool to use for their end.

If Asuka had a more normal childhood or someone to truly care for her, no doubt would things be more different. But sadly, no one was there to give her comfort when her mom died, and that’s a real tragedy.

Kaiji did give her some, which is why she had a crush on him.

But overall, she was also resisting others to avoid them seeing her true self. Nor did Kaiji understand her that well like Misato to Shinji.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:36 pm

When this occurred to me, I finally understood her anger towards Shinji. Although, not at all his fault, Asuka was raised solely as a pilot with a lifetime of training behind her.
I bet she spent her entire childhood driving up her sync ratio. She was probably even trained to suppress her PTSD to get her scores even higher.

Some kid the same age just "walks in off the street" (so to speak) and instantly outperforms her..
That's gotta sting!

If I was her, I'd probably hate him too, and it sucks because he doesn't even deserve it.
Last edited by AWinters on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:42 am

^
Exactly so.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

walucigi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby walucigi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:56 am

View Original PostAWinters wrote:When this occurred to me, I finally understood her anger towards Shinji. Although, not at all his fault, Asuka was raised solely as a pilot with a lifetime of training behind her.

Its a similar situation between Rei and Asuka. I think Asuka picked on Rei at times because Gendo praised Rei the most. And Rei didn't want or care for the praise and affection. Whereas Asuka is dying to recieve that from Gendo. So when she sees Rei basically throw that away, she gets mad. Especially since she was trained to become an eva pilot and Gendo is the head of NERV, yet he doesn't pay any attention to her.
currently: @ school
they or he / “get in the fucken robot Shinji!”

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:09 pm

View Original Postwalucigi wrote:Its a similar situation between Rei and Asuka. I think Asuka picked on Rei at times because Gendo praised Rei the most. And Rei didn't want or care for the praise and affection. Whereas Asuka is dying to recieve that from Gendo. So when she sees Rei basically throw that away, she gets mad. Especially since she was trained to become an eva pilot and Gendo is the head of NERV, yet he doesn't pay any attention to her.

It's a shame. Asuka actually made an effort with Rei at the start, but she wasn't interested.
Asuka was ready to accept Rei because she was fair and equal competition, being the other pilot who'd had lifelong training.

In a way, I think she wanted Rei to be pissed at Shinji too because he fast tracked ahead of both of them out of nowhere.
Maybe she flipped about Toji becoming a pilot because she feared the same happening again.
Either Shinji was spectacular or Asuka was substandard and I think she was afraid of another pilot stepping in and confirming the latter.

If Rei had accepted Asuka as a friend, I think it might have gone a little differently.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:43 pm

AWinters wrote:Maybe she flipped about Toji becoming a pilot

Asuka wasn't comfortable with Toji becoming a pilot for two reasons.
1 = Asuka didn't like Toji and felt that he wasn't worthy to occupy the same position as her.
2 = Asuka was feeling bad for Shinji, who wouldn't like the idea of seeing his friend piloting an Evangelion. She even thought of telling him the truth. However, she just couldn't bring herself to do it. There was also a bit of frustration involved. Asuka was starting to tire of Shinji's inability to understand what was going on around him.

AWinters wrote:Either Shinji was spectacular or Asuka was substandard

Asuka was a great pilot. As we can see during episode 12, she knew how to strategize. In addition, she was also able to perform a series of sophisticated movements and had a high sync rate. That said, Shinji had a lot of talent (and Yui's help). Sometimes a person shows up and outperforms you in every way possible. It sucks, but that's life. That's why you should never evaluate yourself based solely on the performance of others. Your "rival" should be yourself from the previous day. You can always be better today than you were yesterday and there is always someone better than you out there.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”