Is episode 7 skippable?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Is episode 7 skippable?

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 pm

Is the seventh episode where the Jet Alone incident occurs one to skip?

IMO, because it didn't really effect the main story and felt very much like filler material before the introduction of Asuka in the next episode, it could be. Maybe it springs more out of my desire to overall skip unnecessary bits in the TV saga like I know the first part of the 14th episode will bring with it being the committee reviewing the Angels defeated so far so in that regard maybe I should also skip that and go straight to the second half where the synchro tests go insane. :???:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Is episode 7 skippable?

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:11 pm

The only episode that can conceivably be skipped is 10 (unless you're LAS).
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:13 pm

No, it absolutely is not one to skip.

1) We see Gendo working behind the scenes to sabotage other ways of fighting the Angels, asking some interesting questions about what his goals are.

2) Shinji and Misato's home life, plus Misato's visit to school, sets the stage for the AU in the instrumentality sequence in EoTV.

3) We see post-2I Antarctica for the first time.

4) The whole Jet Alone banquet sequence is world-building, seeing as it takes place in Tokyo-2 and we get to learn a little more about how NERV fits in to the new political order in Japan.

5) Misato's cute butt in a skintight suit.

6) Misato getting to play an action role in the series for the first time since Episode 1.

7) More shady Gendo/Ritsuko details, suggesting that something murky is going on in the background.

8) General realizations of the relationship between Shinji and Misato, facilitated by Kensuke and Toji.

Episode seven isn't in my top five episodes list, but it's definitely a darn good one and not one to skip! It's certainly not boring, and gives us a window into the lives of the characters that I think ought not to be dismissed just because it doesn't affect the main story (I think it does) or because it's filler material (I don't think it is) or because it's unnecessary (I think it isn't). Interesting that you'd mention the first part of the 14th episode as being unnecessary recap, because it's the first time we get the names of a lot of these Angels, which makes it much more fun to refer to them.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:57 pm

Well Nuclear Lunchbox, you were completely right on every point you mentioned since after watching it on Netflix made me realize how much i take some episodes for granted! :D
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:20 pm

Jet Alone might not be the most memorable stuff, but the Shinji & Misato bonding is absolutely plot relevant.

In a sense it completes the prologue arc by really showing how Shinji & his general life have changed.
If you skipped straight to ep 8 you might be surprised by how snarky & competent Shinji suddenly got.
Well, actually a lot of ppl miss how much more competent Shinji's acting at this point because he gets put in a ridiculous outfits while everyone's distracted by the new hottie on the block. To be fair, Shinji was also distracted.

It's not in the Rebuilds, but that's because it was replaced by other scenes, such as
a) the trip to Lillith's chamber that also has the Second Impact explanation, and the Misato & Shinji bonding, including the specific point of Misato showing she's just as willing to risk her own life.
b) the sequence early in 2.0 when Shini goes to school & finds Touji & Kensuke waiting for him
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:34 pm

I still have a question regarding Ritsuko: If she says Misato was foolish for attempting to shut down Jet Alone due to the whole incident occurring according to scenario despite Misato's interference, why didn't she make a case to stop her from going? I can surmise she wouldn't want to blow her cover but Ritsuko was seriously going to let Misato die in a suicidal attempt to "make a miracle that happened according to someone's plan"?!

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:37 pm

Episode 7 is actually one of my favorites. What a well rounded segment! It's the perfect blending between world building elements and intimate character moments! It establish Nerv's place in the world, sets the stage to Asuka's arrival and develops Shinji and Misato's friendship! Furthermore, this is where Katsuragi's distrust of the institution she works for is born! I also love how they portrayed Ritsuko's character here (both as a scientist and a woman)! It's amazing to see that she only uses her lipstick when the Gendo is around! That's such a minor, but well thought out detail!
In other words, I don't think that this or any other episodes are skippable (but this is a topic for another discussion).

why didn't she make a case to stop her from going?

I imagine that's because she had everything under control. As she reported to Gendo, everything went as planned. It was better to let Misato perform her "circus" than to compromise the mission's secrecy. Ritsuko couldn't stop her from trying to save the city in front of everyone. This is where we begin to understand the true extent of Nerv and Ikari's power under the world. He is not playing around.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:42 pm

I see, once again establishing my limited track record of watching certain overlooked episodes in the original TV series that I tend to not notice details like those. Many thanks!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:56 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:I still have a question regarding Ritsuko: If she says Misato was foolish for attempting to shut down Jet Alone due to the whole incident occurring according to scenario despite Misato's interference, why didn't she make a case to stop her from going? I can surmise she wouldn't want to blow her cover but Ritsuko was seriously going to let Misato die in a suicidal attempt to "make a miracle that happened according to someone's plan"?!

JA was never actually going to explode, which we can see when it shuts down at the last moment thanks to some hidden programming. It's pretty clear by inference that Ritsuko and Gendo were behind the malicious insertion of code leading to JA's initial malfunction, and it follows they were equally responsible for its miraculous last-minute shutdown.

Following up on what Kendrix has to say, the moment when Misato takes Shinji to Terminal Dogma in the first of the NTE films does do a lot of heavy lifting to replace the bonding moment Shinji and Misato get in the earlier parts of the TV series. That hand-holding shot when they're in the elevator and when they're in front of Lilith speaks volumes, I think.

Episode four used to be my least favorite episode because "it's boring and nothing happens". It wasn't until I grew up a little bit that I realized how much insight it gives us into Shinji and how much more significant it makes his actions and development moving forward, and now it's one of the ones I look forward to when I rewatch the series, which is great because it comes before you're even five episodes deep!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:36 pm

Episode 4 is certainly something that you wouldn't find in most other anime.

Shinji was unconscious for most of the Sachiel fight; The one in ep 3 was the first he actually had to win himself, & their taking their sweet sweet time to show us the effect that had on him.

Also I really love Touji and Kensuke in this episode
Like the whole tent scene?
And when Touji says, "If anyone complains, I'll smack them one"?
Those are very important.

My personal favorite "underrated Episode" is Nr. 11. So maybe Matarael wasn't the single coolest angel, but the interactions between the pilots are GOLD.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Episode 7 is the most skippable episode of NGE, but that doesn't mean it is skippable. Nuclear Lunchbox makes a good case.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Episode four used to be my least favorite episode because "it's boring and nothing happens". It wasn't until I grew up a little bit that I realized how much insight it gives us into Shinji and how much more significant it makes his actions and development moving forward, and now it's one of the ones I look forward to when I rewatch the series, which is great because it comes before you're even five episodes deep!

Episode 4 was my favorite for a good portion of my first watch. I think Episode 15 managed to surpass it. I still love those two episodes dearly and think they're pretty underrated.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 pm

Quite frankly I don't see the point of this debate on the whole? Why skip a singular episode when it's not just new footage? I'm pretty sure everyone in this debate advocating for its skipability has now devoted more time to thinking how and why if it is skipable than it would have taken time to actually watch the damn thing
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 pm

When people rewatch shows, sometimes they like to trim the fat. Like "ah yeah, that's the filler episode, you don't have to watch it because it's boring as hell and nothing actually happens to advance the plot". Sometimes as Evangelion fans it's easy to forget that some shows really do have filler fluff that can be completely skipped without missing much.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 am

Oh yeah, I know, I just don't see the point of debating it, much less to the degree of making an entire thread for it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I also love how they portrayed Ritsuko's character here (both as a scientist and a woman)! It's amazing to see that she only uses her lipstick when the Gendo is around! That's such a minor, but well thought out detail!

A little nitpick here, Ritsuko actually uses her lipstick whenever she needs to put on a professional appearance - she uses it at Nerv when Gendo isn't around, and when she's going to the JA event. She drops it for the few times she doesn't need to be putting on a professional face, such as when she visits Misato.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:01 am

Yeah, you're completely right. She wears her lipstick in both episodes 7 and 9. I'm not sure why I thought that was the case. It was a good and old fake memory.
That's weird for two reasons. Firstly, I've recently rewatch the series and episode 7 was definitely one of my favorites. Secondly, I've already talked about this episode with other people and they also remembered this erroneous detail. Maybe there is some kind of Mandela Effect going on (in a smaller scale). Well, that's awkward. Anyway, thanks for clarifying things!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:27 pm

Episode 7 is the most important episode of the series, really. You can just sort of speed watch the rest of it.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:12 pm

Every episode, even episodes 7 and 10 contain at least one or more plot or character crucial information so no, don't skip any.
However, in an ideal world I would definitely prefer if Action arc was similar in structure to Prologue arc and Descent arc which had constant character and plot/lore progression whereas Action arc has more of a monster of the week feel where things more or less resets to status quo after each episode.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:31 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Every episode, even episodes 7 and 10 contain at least one or more plot or character crucial information so no, don't skip any.

Well, I'd say that Episode 10 is pretty skippable. It really establishes nothing that isn't established enough already in other episodes. Asuka is kind of into Shinji, but Shinji is too dense to realize it? We knew that already, and it gets repeated later on. The higher-ups at NERV are questioning Gendo's methods? That gets repeated several times later. Gendo is willing to take extreme measures to achieve his goals? Once again, we knew it already, and it's repeated later on. And to get all that stuff that's established firmly in other episodes, you need to suffer through Asuka wearing a fat fetish suit and Shinji getting a boner.

I would recommend watching the whole show on the first watch through. But if you want to skip an episode or two to make for a more condensed rewatch experience, Episode 10 would be the first to go in my opinion. Unless you're an Aushin shipper, it doesn't have much value.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:01 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I would recommend watching the whole show on the first watch through. But if you want to skip an episode or two to make for a more condensed rewatch experience, Episode 10 would be the first to go in my opinion. Unless you're an Aushin shipper, it doesn't have much value.

Episode 10 establishes Asuka already graduated from university and begins the (one-sided) rivalry between Asuka and Rei over Shinji. It's also the first and only time we see Nerv go on the attack against an angel before it strikes, and Gendo talking with the Committee about why they're doing it (which helps answer the question of "why don't they do this all the time"). It's also the first time someone else comments on Misato's scar (we see it for the first time in episode 07, I think) before we get the full explanation in episode 12.

And most importantly, it has Shinji literally saving Asuka at the end of the episode! That's not skippable, it's a formative character moment!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”