JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Demon Slayer tangent

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:16 am

Split from here

I have no knowledge about Demon Slayer. Briefly, and without deriding this thread... is it worth watching?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:36 am

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:I have no knowledge about Demon Slayer. Briefly, and without deriding this thread... is it worth watching?

Never seen it, but I think it depends if you like Shonen shows as it is a Shonen Jump property. If that's your thing, I gather it's pretty good.

As for me, it really does not look like something I'd be interested in.

Edit: Based on the replies below, maybe I'll check it out. I fully respect that the animation itself is fantastic, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the story/characters. But it's widely available so I may as well check out a couple of episodes.
Last edited by hui43210 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:02 am

The anime deserves to be watched for the animations alone. What they achieved is marvelous. The first season itself in terms of plot is pretty much a long prologue that ends on a cliffhanger for the movie.

Episode 19 is great.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 am

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:I have no knowledge about Demon Slayer. Briefly, and without deriding this thread... is it worth watching?

I enjoyed the series, but I wouldn't say it's perfect; well worth watching, though. I took a couple of episodes to get really comfortable with the visual style, but then the animation really is something.

The film I found a disappointment in comparison - still good, but things to criticise in the pacing. Some of the CGI also felt poor, but maybe I couldn't judge that right on a camrip.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:05 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
View Original PostJuanSorel#919165 wrote:I have no knowledge about Demon Slayer. Briefly, and without deriding this thread... is it worth watching?

I enjoyed the series, but I wouldn't say it's perfect; well worth watching, though. I took a couple of episodes to get really comfortable with the visual style, but then the animation really is something.

The film I found a disappointment in comparison - still good, but things to criticise in the pacing. Some of the CGI also felt poor, but maybe I couldn't judge that right on a camrip.

The general opinion of the story is that there’s a reason why it had almost finished without anyone knowing about it until the anime blew it up. By most accounts the story is average at best and the ending was rushed and subpar.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:16 pm

Thanks.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:19 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:The general opinion of the story is that there’s a reason why it had almost finished without anyone knowing about it until the anime blew it up.
I guess it depends where you take the pulse of the anime/manga scene. The manga was regularly featured on /a/, right from the beginning, in the same way that Shingeki no Kyojin had been, enough that it getting an anime came as no real surprise.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:50 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostArcher#919237 wrote:The general opinion of the story is that there’s a reason why it had almost finished without anyone knowing about it until the anime blew it up.
I guess it depends where you take the pulse of the anime/manga scene. The manga was regularly featured on /a/, right from the beginning, in the same way that Shingeki no Kyojin had been, enough that it getting an anime came as no real surprise.

Manga sales before/after the anime (which I think is a pretty objective figure) shows the massive boost it got.

busterbeam
Adam

Re: Demon Slayer tangent

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:26 pm

I think the manga art is underrated. It has such a great human touch and looseness to it, while I would not be surprised if the anime uses heavy AI inbetweens. Some of it just looks unnaturally fluid. The mix of shoujo softness and shonen harshness in the manga also fits the series very well thematically.
aaaaaa

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:36 pm

The show's pretty good. I'd definitely sell it more on the designs and skill of the animators/voice actors than the plot, though it's also enjoyable from a story standpoint as well. I'm sure there are plenty of issues to dig into for people who have a bone to pick with KnY, but I quite liked it and am waiting to have time to watch the Infinite Train movie.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:44 am

Demon Slayer is way too stock and derivative for me. Can't really understand why it's so big.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:03 pm

It was a'ight. Not as good as the hype would lead you to believe, at least for me. Zenitsu was also the most annoying thing I have had to bare witness to in a long time and genuinely made me enjoy the show less.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:17 pm

Yeah I can't do it. When one of the biggest selling points is character design and I don't personally like any of said designs, I don't think this show is for me.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:39 pm

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Zenitsu was also the most annoying thing I have had to bear witness to in a long time and genuinely made me enjoy the show less.

I can't disagree; the annoyance factor does reduce a bit with time, though (and somewhat more so in the film).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:39 am

Zenitsu pisses me off too, but I agree it does get easier to tolerate him over time.

I agree KnY is definitely an overhyped show, but I don't want to veer so hard into overhyped that I make it sound like the show isn't worthy of some hype, which I would say it is. I personally like the character designs, I like the music, I like the animation design. It's a nice little package that may have similarities to some other stories, but I find it a unique and enjoyable viewing experience.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:56 pm

I mean really, it’s just the Naruto/Bleach of this generation. If you’re older than 15-16 you’ve already grown out of the intended target demographic and have probably developed a taste for things beyond tropey Shonen fare.

MHA is another show I think is massively overrated, but at the same time I do get why it’s so popular. They know their demographic, we’re just not part of it anymore.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:08 pm

Maybe one day you'll reach your second childhood ;)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:08 pm

I'm no fan of Demon Slayer myself, but I'm fascinated by it for a different reason. See, the movie adaptation, Demon Slayer: Mugen Train achieved what many believed to be impossible. With a $19 million opening weekend, it now has the second-largest US opening weekend of any anime film, behind only Pokemon: The First Movie. This is all the more impressive given the fact that it was not distributed by a major studio, and had an R rating.

This makes me wonder-- will the success of Demon Slayer at all impact the trajectory of the American animation industry? At the very least, might it convince American animation studios to greenlight movies in a similar vein, now that it has demonstrably been shown that a market for such movies exists in the United States?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:
View Original Postpwhodges#919194 wrote:I enjoyed the series, but I wouldn't say it's perfect; well worth watching, though. I took a couple of episodes to get really comfortable with the visual style, but then the animation really is something.

The general opinion of the story is that there’s a reason why it had almost finished without anyone knowing about it until the anime blew it up. By most accounts the story is average at best and the ending was rushed and subpar.

The plot beats of losing a family, introduction to the other world, and taking up arms as shinigami-lite, sure, but the presentation is far from average.

The striking difference is in Tanjiro himself, the mindset he takes to his opponents and how the series builds around that. He is empathetic to every single one of his foes, looking for the humanity in all demons he encounters. The show then shows us the back story, the griping terror, or the existential drive sitting behind the demons; motivating their actions.

This is Shonen more in vein of Trigun, or Mushishi. Violence and aggression is thematically sidelined and in their place is empathy; there to make the lingering final moments of a fight, even in victory, somehow bitter sweet.

On the technical side, the fights are also not entirely magic or jutsu-driven. The demons have plenty of that to spare but the swordsmen themselves are more at a Rurouni-Kenshin level of performing still near-human feats, matched with a visual flourish meant not to symbolize chakra/chi power, but to help the viewer distinguish visually what is different about each fighter's particular style.

I'd argue that this focus on near-human scale along with the the emphasis on breath work is what makes these fights so incredibly visceral.

So, nothing the show is doing story-wise is incredibly complicated, I'll agree to that. It's just well executed, and offers a protagonist that allows empathy to be an omni-present theme. It also technically flexes on fights in a way that'd make One Punch Man proud.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun May 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Demon Slayer is pretty good. It's obviously aimed at teenage boys and it's clearly designed in a way that pushes that demographic choice's buttons hard, but season 1 was fun, and Ufotable is simply an excellent studio.

Characters are fuelled by believable goals and there's basically nothing creepy in it at all. It'll age fairly well. If there's a problem, it's that Demon Slayer is perhaps too safe for its own good, and the "monster of the week" tends to get old when it takes 2-3 episodes to slay them. Nevertheless, there are some excellent episodes in there, especially the first episode and that don't focus on a "monster of the week".

Don't get me wrong, I love Evangelion, but not everything needs to be pretentious to be interesting, and yes Evangelion was aimed to a significant extent at an identical audience. If you think Demon Slayer is something you outgrow, the same could be said for any anime really, including Evangelion. It's all just entertainment at the end of the day. Demon Slayer deserves its success.
Don't be.

Return to “Anime and Manga”