Ritsuko's love towards Gendo, does it have to do with Naoko?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Ritsuko's love towards Gendo, does it have to do with Naoko?

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:04 am

I think compare to Naoko, who was a brilliant scientist but not so smart as a woman, Ritsuko knew what kind of person Gendo is. She also knew her mother's relationship with him. She fall for Gendo mostly because her mixed feeling towards her mother: Admire and hate. So she wanted to get what her mother wanted, and somehow self destruct herself. But deep down she still wanted her mother's love, one of the reasons she let MAGI to self-explode was to let her mother pick side between her daughter and her lover. I guess deep down, Ritsuko could guess out the outcome but she still chose to do it.

GendoBus
Embryo

Re: Ritsuko's love towards Gendo, does it have to do with Naoko?

•      
  •      

Postby GendoBus » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:25 am

It's hard to tell the relationship between Ritsuko and Naoko due to the little screen time they have together and the most of the information about Naoko as person are filtred by Ritsuko thoughts, but I think that Ritsuko fell in love with Gendo for two reasons: because she has daddy issues (indeed she grew up without a father figure, she has an hard time with men and she has a substantial age gap with him) and because she has an inferiority complex towards her mother; from what I could notice, Naoko was a better a scientist than Ritsuko so she wanted to succeed in something that her mother never achieved (the love from Gendo) and this could explain her hate for all the Rei, indeed Gendo was really close to her so she was an obstacle to her goal I guess.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”