Reverse Nostalgia

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

Reverse Nostalgia

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:25 am

Ever since I first watched NGE back in 1996, I’ve been hearing about this previous Anime by Hideaki Anno called “Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water” and how Evangelion references it a here and there, but never quite got around to watching it.

Instead, since 3.0 came out in 2012, I’ve watched and re-watched it many times; I’m quite familiar with all the dialogue, story, and music. Recently, I finally decided to watch it, if only to get a better glimpse at Anno’s world as a whole (I did watch Gunbuster long ago). Fortunately, the whole series is available for free on Amazon Prime (at least in Amazon Japan), so I binge-watched the whole 39 episodes in just two days. I really enjoyed it, and decided to secretly refer to it as “19th Century Boy” (for those familiar with the manga by Naoki Urasawa, also center around Science and the World Expo).

To my surprise, three of the themes from Evangleion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo are actually recycled from Nadia (the one that plays near the end of Operation US, when the final Eva appears from within the coffin, and the themes that play when Wunder launches, and when it defeats the Nemesis series).

Personally, it felt very weird, a sort of “reverse nostalgia”, given that most certainly Anno’s intent was the opposite (i.e., a nod to the people who had watched Nadia before NTE 3.0). But it was nevertheless a very powerful feeling, given howe attached I am at thins point to what arguably are some of the most epic moments of 3.0.

Anyway, how many of you have experienced the same? :D

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Reverse Nostalgia

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:37 am

I didn't experience Anno's work in the same way, in fact Nadia was the first thing from Hideaki Anno that I ever saw back in around 2007, and yet Nadia still gave me a sense of nostalgia. I have no idea why. I never saw the show as a kid growing up in the United States, but when I watched Nadia in 2007 it gave me nostalgic feelings of my personal childhood.

That show is weird like that.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:40 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I didn't experience Anno's work in the same way, in fact Nadia was the first thing from Hideaki Anno that I ever saw back in around 2007, and yet Nadia still gave me a sense of nostalgia. I have no idea why. I never saw the show as a kid growing up in the United States, but when I watched Nadia in 2007 it gave me nostalgic feelings of my personal childhood.

That show is weird like that.

I got that too, if only because to me, the period between around 1987 and 1995 is the “Golden Age” of anime (at least in terms of visual style). Think anything between “Gundam ZZ” and “Neon Genesis Evangelion”.

I need to catch up on more classics from that period!

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:15 pm

As for myself, watching evangelion give me a weird off feeling of nostalgia, as if I did knew it since my childhood.

Or that's it reflect my life, in certain subtle way and the feelings I had for that's matter.
Ban me forever.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:10 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:, so I binge-watched the whole 39 episodes in just two days. I really enjoyed it...

The island and Africa episodes too? :devil:

Have you watched Love&Pop and Ritual too? If not, very recommended, as is kare kano.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:09 am

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:Have you watched Love&Pop and Ritual too? If not, very recommended, as is kare kano.

I second all of those recommendations. Great stuff.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:09 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:The island and Africa episodes too? :devil:

They weren’t THAT bad :D

And there’s the kiss!

Have you watched Love&Pop and Ritual too? If not, very recommended, as is kare kano.

No; I guess that’s next in the list!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”