Shin evangelion for the 2022 oscars?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Shin evangelion for the 2022 oscars?

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:24 am

It may seem far fetched but does anyone think they will go for best animated feature film?

The oscars seems to be more diverse than ever now

The_Max
Adam

Re: Shin evangelion for the 2022 oscars?

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:43 am

Oscar to the most delayed film!
Hey there! I am using EvaGeeks.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:45 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:It may seem far fetched but does anyone think they will go for best animated feature film?

No
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:54 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:
View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin#915674 wrote:It may seem far fetched but does anyone think they will go for best animated feature film?

No

You’re very negative a lot ain’t you lol

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:26 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:
View Original PostJäeger#915688 wrote:
No

Wait until he actually sees the movie... :devil:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:32 am

The Oscars have always been dismissive of foreign animation; unless it's Ghibli being promoted by Disney, even short-listing is unusual. The negativity is just being realistic, regardless of the merits or otherwise of the film.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am

Your Name got snubbed by the Academy; Mirai got nominated at least but it still lost to the usual schlock. That should tell you something about Shin Eva's chances.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:04 pm

Don't see 3.0+1.0 even making the shortlist sadly. I think even if it does have some truly breathtaking traditional animation and CG, and I believe it will, it stands little to no chance. Definitely doesn't help that it is the fourth installment in a franchise that also semi-requires you to have seen a tv show and another movie. 99% of the Academy voters aren't exactly Eva fans I'd wager.
we are many, but you are alone

Saint Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Saint Eva » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm

Despite somehow awarding Spirited Away back in 2002, Academy Award voters still do not care about anime. Tale of Princess Kaguya was nominated in 2015 Oscars but lost to Big Hero 6. Those voters were later surveyed by a reporter and they admitted that they don't watch all nominated movies. One of the voters was pissed that Lego movie got snubbed in favor of Princess Kaguya "freakin obscure Chinese movie that nobody ever saw". That's all you need to know about Evangelion chances for next year.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:20 pm

"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:40 am

I doubt it, considering none of the previous films did and this film isn't somehow more special than they were-- it's a feat of animation, sure, but does it really have "academy" written on it? It's the fourth film of a tetrology that has to compete in what is effectively a best film category, so it can't win on its visuals alone. Or its sound design, or its voice acting, or anything like that. Something tells me it will lose out to a more self-contained animated or foreign film (if they went that route).

If we want to look at precedent, only a handful of foreign films have even gotten nominated in the best animated feature category and they've all been standalone films. The only sequels that have even been nominated have been from large American studios and the only winners have been from Pixar. (Toy Story 3 and Toy Story 4.)

Eva likely doesn't have Oscar dreams, but even people who work in the industry will tell you that the whole point of the Oscars is for the movie industry to pat itself on the back for what a wonderful job it did. Foreign live-action films are an afterthought at best, and foreign animation is unfortunately treated similarly.

Editing to add that Spirited Away did win in 2003, but it was also up against an extraordinarily weak field: Ice Age, Treasure Planet, Lilo and Stitch (not as weak), and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. (And are we really comparing NTE to Spirited Away?)

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:50 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:
View Original PostJäeger#915688 wrote:
No

No I'm realistic and I know how the Oscars work. Is not only about being a foreign film.

And Japan is not so stupid to propose the 4th film of planned tetralogy (no independent films like Toy Story) as a candidate

So it's not me me being negative : it's you being.....naive.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:21 am

The "Best Animated Feature" category was made so that animated films couldn't threaten live-action films in the "Best Picture" category. It usually tends to be used by the Academy members as "Best Movie I Saw with My Grandchildren."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:36 pm

This film is too good for the Oscars
...is what I tell myself to try and not be angry at the fact that it won't ever be there.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:40 pm

I remember that Madoka's third film figured in the shortlist in 2014, which was a super curious fact.

Considering how much marketing this movie is getting from Amazon, I wouldn't really be surprised if it was considered. Being a candidate for the final 5 selected is difficult. Winning just wouldn't happen.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:57 pm

There's too much egregious fanservice for it to be considered.
Après moi le déluge!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:00 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:There's too much egregious fanservice for it to be considered.

I'm sure that's not the issue. I doubt sexual content is something Oscar members look down on.
They look down on animation, that's the problem
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:28 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm sure that's not the issue. I doubt sexual content is something Oscar members look down on.

Sexual content in general, no. Sexual content that can be read as misogynistic or sexist, yes. Frequent, extended attention given to the nude and semi-nude bodies of adolescents in particular, absolutely. The tone, mood and atmosphere of modern Hollywood has been redefined by the Me Too movement and Epstein debacle. I don't see how Shin can fit into that context at all, especially when you can't even make the "but it's art" defense, unless you have a good reason for why Sakura's butt was given so much camera focus and illustration detail during a tense drama scene.
Après moi le déluge!

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:45 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Your Name got snubbed by the Academy; Mirai got nominated at least but it still lost to the usual schlock. That should tell you something about Shin Eva's chances.

Mirai actually lost to Spider-Verse, a really great film and one that was not made by Disney (made by Sony even if it was based on a character owned by Disney), who usually wins the Oscars.
Disney was so confident that Ralph Breaks the Internet (one of their worst animated films of all time) would win Best Animated Feature that they put Best Animated Feature Winner blurbs when advertising the Blu-ray release even before the Oscars happened and before Spider-Verse would be the twist winner.

Still, I really wish Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs won instead of Spider-Verse. I would say it was even better than Mirai. Wes Anderson is one of those modern filmmakers whose films are surefire greats. He's there for me with Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder.

Amazon Studios promoted the hell out of Shin Eva for a very short time until they dropped the Camilla Cabello Cinderella film from Sony/Amazon which they marketed the hell out of. I have seen that film and it is a so bad it's good extravaganza and the musical numbers are the only legitimately good things about it, kinda like Cats, it even has a famous pop star I like and James Corden in it. They are also burying Everybody's Talking About Jamie (from Disney/Fox/Amazon), another musical, in favour of continuing to shill Cinderella.

I really hope Amazon promotes Shin Eva for the Oscars instead of pushing for Best Original Song for Sony's Cinderella.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:58 pm

Prior to pandemic, Oscars only allow films that at least have a week of theatrical release in the US to be eligible (and Eva has none so far) and this rule was made in response to the ever-growing streaming-only films on Netflix and AmaPrime, although it was dropped since last year so streaming-only films are eligible for Oscars consideration, I feel like most people here already explains the logistics on why the chances for Eva are slim, so that's that.

But with how well-received it is in its home country, there's a chance it could win big at the Japan Academy FIlm Prize next year (essentially Anno repeating history after Shin Godzilla) so better watch that space instead.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”