What's next for the franchise

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

What's next for the franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:06 pm

I wish to see a prequel focus on the 2nd impact, much like Alien: Prometheus using Miasto's view. It would be truly awesome if handled well.

Is it possible to start a new era like Gundam? While I hope so but I don't think it would do well.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: What's next for the franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:12 pm

I don't know what "new era" really means, not knowing much about Gundam, but if you wish for Eva to be a Gundam-like franchise, then I guess you're lucky. Anno has outright said he wants Eva to become a "pillar of anime" like Gundam and that he hopes for new creators to have their own hands on Eva.

I myself always refer to this interview.

Regarding Eva, is there anything else you have to say about what’s to come?

H. Anno: We are making concrete progress on Shin Evangelion. I’m sorry for making fans wait so long. I hope to have the time to get it done now. Once it’s over, I hope other creators will do other Eva. Obviously, because I want them to be appealing works, it won’t be without specific conditions, but I will not confine them to what my works have established. Just like Gundam, which keeps continuously supporting the animation world, Eva can become a new pillar. After all, it is the purpose that led me to resume through the New Theatrical Versions. I want to maintain this pillar, which carries the animation world. The more pillars there are, the better for the environment will be, won’t it? That’s how I see it. Rather than for my company, I do this for the wellbeing of the animation industry. Gundam can be enjoyed though various works, and it would be nice if Eva can develop in the same way. I think it’s better if there is a diversity in the works.

I myself am not big on the idea, believing that most likely we'll end up with some good stuff and a lot of pointless drek, especially if what I know of Gundam acts as any indication. Now, if new Eva shows/movies were to be done sparingly and by actual artists (think Oshii, Yuasa, Urobuchi, Chiaki J. Konaka etc.), then I could stand behind it because the new works would, even if bad, at least be artistic and interesting. Alas, it seems Anno wants Eva to be something that has a lot of new works.

Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:16 pm

New era=New leading characters and possibly new EVAs.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:43 pm

That's still awfully vague and could mean a ton of things.
WARNING! SHIN SPOILERS UNDERNEATH!
SPOILER: Show
From all that we know, these two timelines of Eva are done. Anno has said what he wanted to say, and since unlike Tomino his point was never about the cyclical nature of war and considering that both NGE and NTE end in all Evas being gone from the world, I am confident in saying that there will be no new series set going forwards in these timelines.

We might get some more new timelines done by other directors, but what those will look like is anyone's guess.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:30 pm

I could see Khara doing some fun Animator Expo "What If" like shorts in the future but from what I've heard of Thrice Upon A Time - and I'm trying to stay as unspoiled as I can - Eva on TV & Film is complete. Hideaki Anno certainly isn't going to spend any time developing any. He's had five - likely six since Shin Ultraman is being heavily sold on his name - blockbusters in a row. He can do what he wants. Eva is over.

Aside from merchandize. I mean Eva Pachinko games, clothes, figurines, artwork and all that is going to continue for a looooooong time. Especially now that 3.0+1.0 has given that a booster injector. So many people who said they hated 3.0 still spent the next decade buying stuff of Rei in a Black Plugsuit and Asuka with an Eyepatch. Merchandizing is forever.

Maybe one day if Hollywood ever starts adapting anime as voraciously as they do comic books someone will do a live action Evangelion. All it would take for that to happen is for one theatrical anime adaptation to deliver big at the box office. For example, a few years ago adaptations of Stephen King books had retreated to mostly cheap VOD trash. Occasionally a mid-budget TV project would get made but "Based on a Book By Stephen King" was not a big draw. But once IT: Chapter One opened to $123 million the King adaptations took off. I think there's like 20 big budget King projects, TV mini-series and big budget film, in production right now. All these novels being adapted have long existed but there was no interest in adapting them. Not anymore. I think if Alita: Battle Angel - very good movie - had delivered at the box office we'd be having a series of live action anime movies getting made right now. If that ever happens I imagine Eva would be one of the key titles.

Now I'd argue doing a Live Action Eva is a flawed idea cause you can't do the story right buuuut that's another conversation.

But Eva by Khara? Haven't seen the last film but from what little non-spoiler filled talk I've heard I think that's over.

FransHalation
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FransHalation » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:08 pm

View Original PostSlowpokeking wrote:I wish to see a prequel focus on the 2nd impact, much like Alien: Prometheus using Miasto's view. It would be truly awesome if handled well.

Is it possible to start a new era like Gundam? While I hope so but I don't think it would do well.

If I could request anything, a what if series were Shinji actually has a backbone and responds to Asuka's and Misato's advances. But it's EVA, so everything still goes horribly wrong in a different way.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:38 pm

I'd say it's almost a certainty considering the precedent set and Anno's stated wishes. Y'all generally refer to that 2016 interview with Anno and that's generally speaking the earliest known instance of Anno talking about opening the franchise up, so this is somewhat assumed to be just one thought he had, and his comments on the NHK documentary (which doesn't tell the whole story, if Okada is to be believed...) do put some doubt into that, so I don't blame them.

In reality, he has been wanting to do this since 2000. At least. This is detailed in the 1.0 CRC (from 2007!)

I have some details from Anno's interview here: post/916956/Evangelion10-CRC-interviews/#916956

And you can see Tsurumaki's interview, recently translated by Rikki, here: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_1. ... .2F2007.29

Basically, "Gundamization of Eva" is a long time wish of Anno and the Eva staff in general. As of now, this seems to be completely obscure knowledge in Western fandom. Besides "Evangelion 2", there are also other more obscure plans, like the AoT like discarded sequel to EoE.

I can't say for specifics, but I imagine the most likely candidate would be someone close to Anno but no part of the traditional Eva crew doing something with lax Khara oversight - say, Nishigori, not Tsurumaki himself. It's worth looking into the production history of Shin as well. It is already known that Anno initially intended to be mostly hands-off and leave the film to Tsurumaki, but he couldn't keep away and progressively took over more and more. So I wonder if he'll truly stay away for good in a future Eva project. One interesting discussion is if the original cast is going to be kept, or maybe just take Shinji off (and/or Mari). I think this is a fair question, but somewhat unlike Gundam, Eva is almost inseparable from the specific dynamics of its characters. They tried original characters in Mana, Mayumi and more with limited success (even Mari herself might be considered one), but the core cast always stays there, and this is true in all the spin-off manga and games of varying quality and divergence from NGE.

Then again, it's not entirely impossible Anno changed his mind... but with additional context, I think it just won't be Anno at the center.

My pet scenario has always been a somewhat short but very dense OVA that's half prequel with Gendo, Yui, Kyoko and Dr. K, and half sequel with the pilots years after EoE. Of course, a sequel to EoE defeats its purpose, so an in-between/AU story would likely remain the standard.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”