Driving force of instrumentality

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

Driving force of instrumentality

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:23 pm

I imagine this has been addressed already, but "instrumentality" is too vague for the search feature. Sorry, I didn't know what other keywords to use.

Anyhoo:
I hate to admit it, but episodes 25 and 26 still have elements that I don't understand and I've been watching them on repeat to absorb everything I can.

I'm not sure that the driving force behind instrumentality was addressed directly in the series (as far as I could see).
Does anyone have any ideas of who or what is causing it? I understand where it's happening in EoE, but there must be an intelligent force which designed it and controls it(?)

I think I've identified the parts where they're communicating amongst their true selves.

At the end of episode 25 (as one example) where Misato, Rei and Asuka have expressionless faces and voices, trying to convince Shinji to become one with them (like in episode 20). It's like something or someone is trying to lure him, using the likeness of people he trusts.
Who are what is driving this?

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Driving force of instrumentality

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:39 pm

In the TV ending, any real notion of "plot" or "narrative" gets set aside, and the focus moves to the characters. Instrumentality happens because that was what was going to happen once the Angels were defeated, and the details are not important, only the results in the form of letting the characters let it all hang out.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:02 pm

The build up to instrumentality throughout the series and the events in EoE add a form of narrative to these episodes.

My understanding is that Shinji has the ultimate decision over whether humanity is saved or they remain as LCL, but the beings within instrumentality are trying to sway him towards LCL. They even tried seducing him into "becoming one" in episode 20.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they're the souls of dead Angels in disguise, trying to lure him into choosing the extinction of the Lilum.

A further thought occurred, which I don't like, but it could be possible:
What if that's what Kaworu was for?
SEELE's own groomed Angel who was sent to die so that his soul could administrate their instrumentality project from within and steer Shinji towards the outcome that they wanted.

I'm leaning more towards them being dead Angels trying to end humanity through Shinji's mind. I think this would be why they were probing around inside of their minds, learning how to manipulate them through their personal experiences.

I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts.

***Update***

Scratch all that, I think I might have worked it out!

As mentioned in the "kitchen scene" thread, Lilith and Adam are controlling instrumentality and trying to convince Shinji to combine humanity into liquid form.

Part way into episode 26, it seems that Yui finally chips in and that's where the tone changes and the others try to convince him of his individual worth.
Lilith/Adam would be the driving force behind the interrogations and the timing suggests that Yui was the driving force behind the encouragement, with the help of the others in soul form.

I'm still utterly confused by the instrumentality foreplay before it actually started and where that fits in.
Did this ever get figured out?

Note acknowledged.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:48 am

My interpretation is as follows:

In EoTV, Instrumentality occurs when Gendou returns Rei to Lilith, presumably doing something with Eva-01 and Adam's embryo also. Adam (the person, not the body) and the Angels seem to have no role here (note that Kaworu never appears), and are apparently permanently dead. Probably Instrumentality couldn't start until all Evas & Angels who could resist it were destroyed. Seele seems to have no role here whatsoever.

As far as what's going on, my interpretation is simply that humanity is being combined into one omnipotent being, Adam Qadmon, and that Shinji is simply the facet of humanity that we're focused on. He confers with the rest of humanity (who are also himself, since they're now a single being) and ultimately decides not to stay as a single being (since that would mean he wouldn't exist anymore; there's a lot of discussion of why being a single being without distinctions is bad) and chooses to live with everyone separately (this is the congratulations scene, where everyone appears together separately again rather than momentarily appearing as facets of the single being.)

There is no sinister force at play here, only the pain of living and other such psychological forces.

---

In EoE, Instrumentality is more complicated. Essentially, it begins twice:

*Seele capture Yui using the spears and start to use her as an equivalent to Lilith. Their MP-Evas have the Fruit of Life, and Yui has the Fruit of Knowledge; Yui also has the Fruit of Life, but this is incidental (Seele didn't want to "create a god", a god being a both-Fruit being)- it's only the Fruit of Knowledge and/or being a clone of Lilith that they want from her.
Seele's explicit agenda is to unite all life in death- apparently making a single being, which is, of course, nothing but death (as Gendou says, and as EoTV explains). Their motivation for this is probably to bring an end to all suffering. It is not to become gods, since they are vocally distraught at the thought of making a god. They're just a suicide cult.
*At the same time, Lilith is resurrected and joins with Adam (the "forbidden union"). Obviously this is a god, and note that not only is Rei's spirit within, but also Kaworu's (though Rei seems to be the dominant partner).
What Gendou's agenda was is unclear. He asks Rei to unite all souls (just like Seele wants) but clearly his aim differs from Seele enough for them to be at war over it. His agenda clearly does involve creating a god, or even two (Yui, and then the "forbidden union of Adam and Lilith"). Probably he intends Instrumentality to be only a temporary state, and probably whatever Yui ends up doing is similar to what he wants.
But Rei is no longer following Gendou's agenda. I think she genuinely doesn't know what she intends to do at this point; she's just heading for Shinji.

Seele, however, take Lilith-Adam's appearance in stride. They simply comment that it's time to start the sacrament, and have the MP-Evas assimilate (I forget the exact word used) with Lilith. From this point, until the deaths of the MP-Evas, Lilith-Adam is probably not in full sober control of herself. If she were, then Seele should be a little concerned about Lilith just showing up. Since they're not, she must be somehow contained, and obviously the assimilation is how they do it.

Seele then provoke Shinji / wait and let him be provoked into embracing despair, as they do, and ordering what they wish- the death of all life. It's important to understand that what Shinji and Rei are confronted with aren't just illusions made by Seele, but their own psychology, the human condition. The world really is overflowing with sorrow, as Rei says. Shinji really does feel all the anger and despair that he does. These desires don't need Seele to be there. In fact, the only reason I think Seele is doing anything here is because obviously they must have some reason to think that things are going to go according to plan, meaning they must have some sort of leverage or control.

All life is joined into one being, as Seele desire. But as part of this the MP-Evas die, and whatever spell they had cast on Lilith-Adam is broken. Rei and Kaworu then visit Shinji and help him reject Instrumentality.

I don't know whether Rei actually needed to get Shinji to agree or not for her to end it, or if she just wanted his support. Fuyutsuki says, at separate times, both that the outcome is up to Shinji and that it's up to Lilith- both must be true. Perhaps both Shinji and Rei, the boy and the girl each holding all the power in the world, need to agree? Or perhaps they just want to agree?

There's a lot else going in EoE Instrumentality- regarding Yui, regarding Kaworu, but to recap I think the gist is this:
*Shinji and Rei (with Kaworu along for the ride) independently have the power of gods (Fuyutsuki says this), and can decide what happens.
*Seele use the MP-Evas and the False Lances to pressure them to follow their scenario; they don't resist.
*The MP-Evas are killed, which eliminates Seele's considerable forces.
*Shinji and Rei decide together to reverse Instrumentality.

My guess is that Yui-Gendou-Fuyutsuki's plan was essentially what happened here: let Seele win (eliminating themselves in the process), and then let Shinji and/or Rei reverse it. Probably Gendou intended to be the focal point with the power of gods himself, rather than entrusting it to either of them. And probably the reason Seele didn't want to make a god was precisely because a god could undo their work.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:35 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:My interpretation is as follows:

In EoTV, Instrumentality occurs when Gendou returns Rei to Lilith, presumably doing something with Eva-01 and Adam's embryo also. Adam (the person, not the body) and the Angels seem to have no role here (note that Kaworu never appears), and are apparently permanently dead. Probably Instrumentality couldn't start until all Evas & Angels who could resist it were destroyed. Seele seems to have no role here whatsoever.

As far as what's going on, my interpretation is simply that humanity is being combined into one omnipotent being, Adam Qadmon, and that Shinji is simply the facet of humanity that we're focused on.

This - the last bit is more or less explicitly stated. I'd always held that EoTV is 'Gendo's instrumentality' - though she's conflicted in such a way that you can see why she might backstab him in a different timeline, her last sequence ends with her going "Yes, Commander" and that's it. The next telop is "Thus begins instrumentality" & Gendo explaining his plan. Also, in the end, Shinji thanks Gendo, not Rei, implying that he did it.

Rei is making it happen superpowers wise though - in ep 26 we see her question the others as to what they want etc. though she also participates as a complementee.

Though it probably didn't end up like Gendo wanted - ie, he thought people they would stay fused, but they didn't. The stage shattering is, for me, a clear indication that Shinji did return. But he was probably among the later returnees. I believe ppl really did physically welcome/ congratulate him when he came back, though not necessarily as exactly we see them (ie, Yui would be EVA 01-shaped; Maybe Rei's an apparition but who knows.)
But Shinji still thanks him 'cause it helped him figure shit out.

Hence why SEELE says that gendo wants to "close pandoras box before hope can appear" - He wants to fuse people, but NOT transform them into a completely different existence. They'd just be tanged so they could theoretically come back like Shinji in ep 20.

Also, Shinji seems to more or less be caught unaware - there's that segment of him crouching somewhere, not unlike when he's under those stairs in EoE, and he describes the moment of tangifications as he feels it happening. ("this is just like when my body dissolved")

Presumably, he never did make it to EVA 01.

The result is still (as everyone says in the final sequence of ep 25) "the product of his wish/actions", but more indirectly - because he stayed curled up somewhere & didn't fight.

Everything concerning Asuka seems to happen pretty much as in EoE - She's in the lake, & eventually reaches the conclusion that she doesn't actually want to die. The Manga even includes some dialogue from ep 25 in its version of the lake sequence.

Yui's fate also seems identical ("goodbye, mother") - perhaps Gendo being shown next to her means that he went with her, like his Manga self, but it's not impossible that he figured his shit out, too.

What is clearly different is what happened to Misato & Ritsuko. They have a confrontation of sorts, and like Rei it doesn't seem that Ritsuko turns against Gendo in this, she's defending the plan to Misato in their scene together (perhaps like how in the proposal, "Gendo and Ritsuko are the last proponents of the plan") There was a rumor that they were meant to kill each other which indeed might be a conclusion to their escalating antagonist/ disintegrating friendship - note that Ritsuko is shot in the back, not the front.

So that might actually be the divergence point - either Ritsuko's decision to betray Gendo, or Misato's decision to either go confront Ritsuko or go collect Shinji.

I rly encourage ppl to look at the dialogue pieces that parallel all the four main characters, especially the three pilots. The whole 'I have nothing else' thing & how that's true for all of them...

EoE, by contrast, seems to follow SEELE's plan (or an adjusted version of it to account for Gendo's creation of "a real god"; It seems they originally intended to use "Adam and the Angels" (they say they won't rely on them any more and use EVA 01 instead), so probably Kaworu.)
Shinji gives it a good try, decides that it sucks, and decides to come back.

Rei had probably been brought up all her life to see the plan as the greater good but at this point she's no longer sure if Gendo can be trusted.
She has some separate motivation for wanting to join with Lillith, first just to end her painful existence and second to maybe find a place where she 'belongs' and doesn't feel out of place - but for the most part she's just quietly stewing until she senses Shinji screaming his lungs out upstairs. She says that "Ikari-kun is calling" - ie to some extent the last grain of rice that tipped the scales was just wanting to check on him/ help him out up there/ see him one more time before it all goes poof *insert bridge of 'beautiful world*. Fusing with Lillith was the quickest way to do that.
Alas, she shows up in giant monster form so Shinji is just a wee bit freaked out by that (though it's noted that there's a draft version where he eventually relaxes even without Kaworu showing up - but I guess to make up for that we get that moment later when EVA 01 fuses with Lillith. I like that he's there; He got way too little screentime and I like the parallel to the transition guides.)

I'd agree that Rei was probably genuinely conflicted (for all she knows, maybe it would be better for humans to be fused.), so she did what most of us would do - ask a friend. Alas she only has one of those and he's not in a good frame of mind at this moment.

Shinji's just Done(TM) and in a "screw everything!" kinda mindset at this point. Rei actually wants them to think it through properly & consider both sides. (see the whole "then what is your hand for?" dialogue.) - but she can't rely give him an answer for if its OK for him to exist either (She doesn't have this figured out herself)

As for why Rei goes along with it, she says this while overlooking the dead soldiers:
"This world is overflowing with sorrow. It's people are drowning in emptiness. And loneliness fills their hearts"
(that's such an overlooked line/scene)
Ie she can kinda see Shinji's point about the world being crappy. Her own time in it was certainly big on the whole 'loneliness and sorrow' package. If it's really that bad, it might be kinder to make them all go splat.

So once everyone is mashed together (it's implied that Asuka's soul resisted the longest - "I'd rather die than do it with you". )

Cut to Shinji & Rei discussing the results... which boil down to "Nope, not actually better."
Note how they're shown to be 'overlapping' to signify the lack of barriers in the fusion (her arms being stuck in his chest etc.) and the beautiful visual metaphor when he plucks out her hand & actually shakes it - how they can really 'feel' each other & interact in a meaningful way precisely because they have surfaces for the other to touch.
Which, just like snapping Asuka's neck was a standing for his rejection of the world as it was, is a now a standin for him deciding that he actually wants to interact with ppl again.
Then Kaworu's like "U really sure? You do remember the consequences"
They then explain how restoring the world would work.
Shinji's like "yeah I can live with that", and Yui, (whom I picture as having been slurping a bubble tea in the corner the whole time) is like "Just as planned! Bye son!"
But she seemed pretty confident that Shinji would pick what she wanted & didn't really interfere herself besides asking Shinji what he wishes for.
...for some reason I always thought she was the one who delivered the "everyone can come back" speech but I just went back and rewatched it and it's actually Rei who says it, Yui really doesn't come in until the very end.

There is presumably a missing scene where Shinji materializes some underwear for himself and Rei, and is like, "Geez mom, At least let us put our clothes back on before walking in on us like that! Don't you see we're doing private stuff? Man, this is precisely why we need to do away with this instrumentality thing, I still got that image of Misato & Kaji boinking burned into my mind."
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:45 pm

I apologise in advance, I haven't worked out how to tag names in quotes yet.

This - the last bit is more or less explicitly stated. I'd always held that EoTV is 'Gendo's instrumentality' - though she's conflicted in such a way that you can see why she might backstab him in a different timeline, her last sequence ends with her going "Yes, Commander" and that's it. The next telop is "Thus begins instrumentality" & Gendo explaining his plan. Also, in the end, Shinji thanks Gendo, not Rei, implying that he did it.

I don't remember Shinji thanking Gendo at the end, I'll be watching it again soon to catch everything I missed last time.
This does sound significant.

I have wondered what instrumentality would have been like if Rei II survived, because she had a strong loyalty to Gendo that I don't think Rei III had. I think Rei II would have made his plan happen for him and he would have been consumed by Rei as a whole, rather than just his hand, merging them into one being before merging with Lilith.
I wonder what that giant Lilith would have looked like... either absolutely terrifying or maybe the combination of Gendo's and Rei's (Yui's) DNA would have looked like Shinji.

Everything concerning Asuka seems to happen pretty much as in EoE - She's in the lake, & eventually reaches the conclusion that she doesn't actually want to die. The Manga even includes some dialogue from ep 25 in its version of the lake sequence.

The idea of the series and EoE being concurrent is what I've been going with and that's what's confusing me about Asuka's timeline.
In one of the final episodes (before the start of instrumentality), Asuka appears before Shinji and it seems to be suggested that it's her true, conscious self (implied by her reaction to Rei accusing her of projecting).
I'm running with the assumption that Asuka would have to be dead for her to be able to communicate with him like this and that leaves only a short window. If I'm understanding this at all, then the only time this part could have occurred was during the process of Unit 01 being launched right after Asuka was killed.

There is no sinister force at play here, only the pain of living and other such psychological forces.

This is one of the things I'm confused about. It's the part at the end of ep 25 and the start of 26 that made me question this. Misato, Asuka and Rei were telling Shinji that they want to become one. This is something I don't think Shinji alone wouldn't understand, so I think that this influence would have to come from somewhere.

Another thought (just spitballing here): maybe when the other Angels were probing his mind, they were gathering data about the people closest to him and implanting the idea of instrumentality into his mind in the voices and formations of those people. That's if the Angels had any motivation to help instrumentality take place.

I'll respond some more to you both when I've finished watching EoE again. I'm in the process of editing subtitles, so I'll be going through it very slowly. Hopefully I'll come back more enlightened.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:38 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:In one of the final episodes (before the start of instrumentality), Asuka appears before Shinji and it seems to be suggested that it's her true, conscious self (implied by her reaction to Rei accusing her of projecting).

I'd assume that everything before "Yes commander/ And thus instrumentality starts..." is metaphorical/ in the character's heads.

Asuka has chewed out Shinji in a similar manner in ep 16 etc. it's just sort of the implied parts being said out loud, likewise Asuka has been called out on her crap by Rei before so naturally they get the 'critical voice' role.

& you can see Rei's relative isolation reflected in how her inner dialogue is basically just with herself, even Gendo is mostly just present as a distant symbol (the glasses)... the 3rd Rei doesn't rly have

I mean even the second half is like that, except it's ALSO actually them.

View Original PostAWinters wrote:I have wondered what instrumentality would have been like if Rei II survived, because she had a strong loyalty to Gendo that I don't think Rei III had.

There is the 'best ending' from the EVA 2 video game. She actually still refuses him, but she's nicer about it ("Thanks for giving me a human heart") and instead of merging with Lillith she just walks away. On her own route this ends with a monologue about how maybe she won't live that long because she's an artificial hybrid but she'll make the most of her time & find her own place to belong. Something similar also happens in Shinji's good ending, except she next shows up after he defeats the EVA series before poor Asuka could be pulverized.

Though it's anyone's guess how accurate that would've been/ wether that's how it would've gone in canonland (in the manga he fights the EVA series & it does jack shit; He loses control in the process & they just revive once he does)
Video games by nature of the medium need to be somehow "winnable" unless you're strictly within the horror genre or those endless arcade things.

View Original PostAWinters wrote:This is one of the things I'm confused about. It's the part at the end of ep 25 and the start of 26 that made me question this. Misato, Asuka and Rei were telling Shinji that they want to become one. This is something I don't think Shinji alone wouldn't understand, so I think that this influence would have to come from somewhere.

The phrasing is an aesthetic choicethat some might find confusing but ultimately they're talking about how ppl in general have a need to socialize, & the experience of emotional hunger.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:46 am

A little off topic, but eventually this will explain the question in hand.

I've seen that almost the whole fandom takes EoTV and EoE as two distinct ending, even I had taken that in account for a consensus. But after giving it a thought and noticing some things, it occured to me, what if EoTV and EoE are two complementary events of a coherent conclusion of the same timeline?

We all know that EoTV focuses on mid instrumentality, the psychological sequence of the characters questioning existence and things, supposedly when everyone's a collective being in form of LCL sea in Lilith's egg. Presumably, what Anno had in mind is that to create an ending which will influence people to make their own interpretions of the meagre things like action scenes and such while focusing on the deep, almost freudian complications with hints and pieces for the driving forces. Sadly, instincts compel people to crave for things like action and fan service-y stuff, which led a great part of the fandom to rather urge for an "alternate" ending with more those stuff mentioned back then, rather than the more meaningful stuff induced conclusion that is EoTV. Don't get me wrong, EoE is great. But I'm part of the minority here who actually prefered EoTV as an conclusion over EoE, which was actually a little much for my taste. I believe, even Anno had a similar impression, if I'm correct about the fact that he didn't plan on creating EoE until the fandom's insurgency, which probably made him think, oh you guys want more action and fanservice? Well, here you go, the whole package of it. A lot of people did love it then to this day, while it was much grotesque than what a few number of people had in mind, as a result they hated it. Anyway, on the contrary to EoTV, EoE focused more on the pre and post instrumentality part. While it did have a mid instrumentality part unlike EoTV which nulled the other counterparts, EoTV's demonstration of the said segment in its entirety is totally unparalleled. This speakes for itself. EoTV and EoE are not some distinct ending of their own, rather they complement themselves. Anno didn't want to focus on the events prior and posterior to instrumentality as it seemed less of value to a genius who likes to fiddle with deep intricacies, but the fandom forced him to. He did have his own mental image of those events, and wished for the same in case of the fandom but along with some hints given by him such as-
SPOILER: Show

Each one of these are scenes from EoE, yet the first 3 scenes having been shown in ep 25, the other two in the preview of ep 25 at the end of 24. These imply that, again, Anno did have all these things prior and posterior to instrumentality in mind, but he had no intention to briefly focus and demonstrate them on them. For what it's worth, he did leave bits and pieces for the fandom to place them properly and have an interpretational answers of their own, conspicuous enough to have a consensus over them and not to be totally ambiguous about it and everyone having distinct headcanon over everything. Of course, EoTV didn't answer everything like EoE did. But those had little value in Anno's eyes, and he wished the same for everyone, in comparison to the greater things represented in EoTV.

So, this is my speculation and since EoTV and EoE ties up in this, it explains the things questioned as those are crystal clear in case of EoE. This is obviously a lot late to be a subject to reconsider, due to the fact that it's been 25 years after the show getting aired, 24 in case of EoE, not 5 or 10, also having a huge chance that this already has been discussed over in the past.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 am

View Original PostBerserker wrote:I've seen that almost the whole fandom takes EoTV and EoE as two distinct ending, even I had taken that in account for a consensus.

Actually, my impression is that it's a minority view.

But after giving it a thought and noticing some things, it occured to me, what if EoTV and EoE are two complementary events of a coherent conclusion of the same timeline?

This thread is perhaps the main discussion of combining the endings (and near the end are hints how to find edits which do that). The key word you need to use in searches either in the forum or on your favourite torrent site is "concurrency".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:48 am

Ah, "concurrency" project. That makes a lot more sense now. Instead of taking it in a literal way, scrolling past that thread in the fan works sub forum quite a while ago made me think it was something like a huge novel/alternate ending fic with the name being "concurrency project", before properly checking it out.
pwhodges wrote:Actually, my impression is that it's a minority view.

I'd say I've seen the opposite. The forum and social medias aside, even our wiki proclaims EoE being an "alternate ending to the series".
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:25 am

^Well, EvaWiki also says that EoE is supposed to "either replace or complement the original ending", so the fact noone can be certain of the exact nature of EoE and NGE's relationship is hinted at there. And EoE is an alternate ending either way, as it provides a new POV to the events of EoTV if genuinely concurrent with NGE.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:18 pm

EOTV seems to end way more happily than the angst ridden EOE so they feel very separate to me....so maybe "Mr. Mallory" has slid into
both parallel universes in order to give his POV.... :D JMHO
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:54 pm

I used to heavily favor Concurrency but over time I've drifted further towards the other direction. I think the endings largely communicate the same ideas and themes, and I think they mirror and complement each other to a degree, but I don't consider them two halves of one whole. I think they're two separate attempts at expressing a similar vision, constructed with different priorities, resources and motifs. Both are relevant, but one is not strictly an elaboration on the other. It's odd and somewhat hard to express; as much as I don't think 26' replaces 26, I do consider it to be a replacement. I guess you could say I'm a filthy little centrist when it comes to Concurrency. It's the same reason I always recommend that people go straight from 24' to EoE (and then watch 25-26). It sounds paradoxical when I say that even though I don't think one negates the other, one kind of negates the other. What I suppose I mean is that ultimately End of Evangelion was made, it is branded and recognized as the definitive ending, and since I consider EoTV and EoE separate, in some ways I think one has to choose between them. Which sounds silly when I also think that EoTV is invaluable and insightful. But, y'know, ultimately, they are different endings to one story, and when all is said and done I do consider EoE to be definitive. Not just in terms of how it makes me feel but in terms of how it follows up on the story that came before it. As an ending, EoTV doesn't really work and, honestly, as much as I like it, I think it's remembered fondly mainly because EoE managed to deliver an actual ending.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”