Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 spoiler policy and NOT post any open spoilers outside the password-protected subforum.
xenosaga
Adam

Re: Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:55 pm

Official from Khara

3.3 billion so far..
Also sprach Zarathustra

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:05 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:Official from Khara

3.3 billion so far..

Wow.. so using those figures from Joseki, it's closing in on 2.0's entire run in no time at all.

JuanSorel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:09 pm

And yet I got none of it. The thieves! Scammers! Villains!

hui43210
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:12 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:And yet I got none of it. The thieves! Scammers! Villains!

???
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:22 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:The Japanese press/analysists were expecting it to gross 6 billion yen. Shin Godzilla ended up at 8.25 billion yen total.... Predicting week 2 drops based on historical data in this case is a bit difficult considering the movie debuted on a Monday. I would expect it to be bigger than the week 2 drop of 3.0 but maybe COVID is pushing more people towards later showings.

Interesting. Was this before or after the release? Since the film is already more than halfway there after just one week I'm thinking 6 billion might be aiming a little low. I also wonder if the drop off will be much less than 3.0 had since what little I know of the film's story, Thrice is a much more upbeat and - I don't know if it's the right word - FUN movie than the dour 3.0 was. A fun movie, especially as the end of everything, might mean more repeats and more positive word of mouth getting people who haven't seen the film yet, or were disappointed by 3.0, to give the final movie a try. It doesn't hurt that the film doesn't have much serious competition for attention for about another month.

Either way, whatever it ends up at, the film is a big old hit!

Joseki
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ek/.170606

ANN article (PSA it contains the thumbnail of the new teasers)

Relevant parts

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time (Shin Evangelion Gekijō-ban :||), the "final" Evangelion film, has sold 2,194,533 tickets for 3,338,422,400 yen (about US$30.6 million) in its first seven days in Japan. It sold 760,000 tickets for 1,177,445,400 yen (about US$10.8 million) on Saturday and Sunday.

[...]

The previous film, Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, sold 771,764 tickets for 1,131,004,600 yen (about US$13.9 million at the exchange rate at the time) in its first two days (which were a Saturday and a Sunday). It then sold 2,032,147 tickets for 2,858,126,200 yen (about US$34.7 million) in its first nine days (which included two weekends).

The second film in the tetralogy, Evangelion: 2.0 You Can [Not] Advance, earned the equivalent of US$5,302,760 during its first two days (which were a Saturday and a Sunday). It eventually earned 4 billion yen (about US$43 million) during its entire 2009 run.

The first film in the tetralogy, Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone, sold 236,158 tickets for 280 million yen (about US$2.4 million) during its first two days (which were a Saturday and a Sunday). It eventually earned 2 billion yen (about US$18.7 million) during its entire 2007 run.

Shin avg ticket price (7 days) = 1.521 yen
Q avg ticket price (9 days) = 1.406 yen

IMAX and 4D are sensibly increasing the revenue.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Interesting. Was this before or after the release? Since the film is already more than halfway there after just one week I'm thinking 6 billion might be aiming a little low. I also wonder if the drop off will be much less than 3.0 had since what little I know of the film's story, Thrice is a much more upbeat and - I don't know if it's the right word - FUN movie than the dour 3.0 was. A fun movie, especially as the end of everything, might mean more repeats and more positive word of mouth getting people who haven't seen the film yet, or were disappointed by 3.0, to give the final movie a try. It doesn't hurt that the film doesn't have much serious competition for attention for about another month.

Either way, whatever it ends up at, the film is a big old hit!

I think it was a pre-launch estimation, it could definitely beat that I suspect, especially if people continue to see it in 4D or IMAX.

I still don't see it beating Shin Godzilla however. Q did 52% of its total in the first 9 days. I'd be surprised if by Sunday (2 full weeks) Shin hasn't reached the big majority of audience. We Eva fans are big nerds, we go early.

GhostlyOcam
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:13 am

The rest of March should be relatively easy for Shin Eva to rule the BO even if the numbers began to drop steadily from this week onward, there's the PreCure double feature coming this weekend but other than that, not much. April on the other hand is absolutely packed with Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet, Crayon Shinchan Movie 2021, and Rurouni Kenshin: The Final coming in succession so March 8 was truly the safest date. -o-;

Next week should be quite interesting tho if everything went as planned, the emergency state should be completely lifted by Monday (meaning late-night shows should be allowed too by then) and that will also be the airing day of NHK's making-of documentary. We'll see how those will affect the BO performance.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Joseki
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 am

Just to highlight how hardcore the franchise is, on Monday alone 538.623 tickets were sold, close to the 760.000 tickets of Saturday+Sunday (around 342.000 tickets on Saturday and 418.000 tickets on Sunday).

GhostlyOcam
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:23 am

Yeah, the Monday numbers were crazy that medias outside Japan are talking about it. ^_^

We're also a week into the release and the film's audience consensus ratings in three major local film sites are still as high as ever (4.25/5 on Eiga, 4.32/5 on Filmarks, and 4.5/5 on Yahoo!Movies), so we know that the majority of people really liked it, time will tell but that should bode well for the theater longevity.

Joseki
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:46 am

190m yen today, for a (worthless) comparison Demon Slayer grossed 113m today.

JuanSorel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:48 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostJuanSorel#915598 wrote:And yet I got none of it. The thieves! Scammers! Villains!

???

It is just a bad joke about the fact that despite our joy on behalf of Khara, we wont see one single penny of all those millions, throwing in a silly commentary about entitlement while at it. Just a dumb joke. :wink:

Heaven Piercing Man
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:01 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:

Official from Khara

3.3 billion so far..

in before 3.3+1.1
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

GhostlyOcam
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:58 pm

Huh, I wonder Demon Slayer's home video release being announced today gives the film one last push because those are great numbers for a 5-months old film.

It's coming out in June with English subtitles, by the way. There's a lot to unpack and speculate here for Shin Eva's eventual BD release as both are Toho's.

Joseki
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Shin is not really a TOHO movie. It's a khara movie being distributed in theaters by TOHO and Toei.

hui43210
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:46 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Shin is not really a TOHO movie. It's a khara movie being distributed in theaters by TOHO and Toei.

Under that definition, Demon Slayer is a Ufotable movie being distributed by Toho. I don't know which company is in charge of BD/streaming distribution in either case.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Joseki
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:20 pm

I don't think Ufotable owns the IP of Demon Slayer

GhostlyOcam
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:47 pm

Forgot to mention that it's another case of a highly-successful Toho-distributed anime film being released on home video format in Japan with English subtitles after Your Name so there's a pattern of sort here.

Although it's not exclusive to just Toho (Macross Delta's Japanese Blurays have English subs too IIRC), one does wonder about what this means to Shin Eva, especially when khara themselves have been making their own official subtitles lately.

Joseki
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:48 am

https://blog.screenweek.it/2021/03/box- ... 71040.php/

Updated projections: 5 billion yen this week, 13 billion yen total. Just under Weathering with You (that sucked, by the way, one of the very few times I wanted to quit at half time in theater).

GhostlyOcam
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:45 am

130 million yen today, a good second week hold and 4 billion yen is pretty much locked come tomorrow. Theaters will get their normal operational times back next week and that should be a good way to start the third week.

(I also agree on Weathering With You, although I've never been a fan of Your Name too to begin with partially because my theatrical experience was super cringeworthy thanks to the overtly "participative" audience, imagine there's a constant whistling everytime some romantic shit happens and freaking singalong everytime a Radwimps number plays)

BusterMachine4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:(I also agree on Weathering With You, although I've never been a fan of Your Name too to begin with partially because my theatrical experience was super cringeworthy thanks to the overtly "participative" audience, imagine there's a constant whistling everytime some romantic shit happens and freaking singalong everytime a Radwimps number plays)

Wait, they did a Rocky Horror type screening? For Your Name, of all movies? I didn't know that movie had such a dedicated fanbase.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”