Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu May 20, 2021 8:41 pm

Netflix dub debate goes here
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Fri May 21, 2021 6:55 am

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:rumors have it that some spanish speaking fans got a hold of a leaked rip, but I've done some digging and looks like another fake rumor, possibly trying to get people to join their telegram. Wish we would stop getting teased and would actually get the damn movie

Could go for a Demon Slayer style accidental streaming release at this point.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Fri May 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Years from now we'll look back on this time and remember the wait and the frustration. And we'll laugh about it! I wish Khara were more forthcoming with their international plans but, let's face it, we're all going to see this movie sometime this year. Whether we get a theatrical run in our country or it goes to Amazon or the Japanese blu ray gets ripped immediately, we're all gonna see it in a few months. Believe me, I know the wait has been maddening (I drive my wife CRAZY with my Eva obsession) but we're in the thick of it now. Just a little more time and this whole thing will be an experience we can laugh about later.

When NGE was released in the US, we would get 1 VHS with two episodes every other month. I got them as they were released and believe me, the wait was EXCRUCIATING for 14 year old me! The two months at least gave me time to scrounge up the $30 I needed for each tape! Worse, it was another 5 years before they released End of Evangelion stateside! Of course, by then, I had already watched it via a bootleg with fan subs by sending a money order to some shady website! Now, of course, I have the Perfect and the Platinum Collection, I can watch it on Netflix and I have the Japanese Blu rays (legit and ripped with English subs) and can look back at that time and laugh it off. It'll be the same with the Rebuilds and with 3.0 + 1.0, I promise!

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Fri May 21, 2021 3:56 pm

View Original PostJeo228 wrote:fuck netflix, let funimation finish the dub or let gkids use the funimation cast

While I can understand people wanting one cast over the other, THIS is what should happen to be honest. Let the cast that's already done 3/4 of the films finish what they started (while also letting Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant, and Allison Keith go out with a bang/pass the torch to a new generation of VAs) and once it's all said and done, go back and re-dub it with a different cast if Khara and/or the fans of the Netflix dub want it. I'll be happy regardless but I also think it would be extremely petty and a big douche baggy move to not let the Funimation cast dub the entire thing.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat May 22, 2021 1:04 pm

I really just don’t get this perspective that Khara is morally obligated to give 3.0+1.0 to the old cast. Business is business. They have ZERO obligation to the Funi/ADV cast, especially when both sides have made it clear that they don’t really want anything to do with each other anymore.

If you wanna say that it would be your PREFERENCE that the Funi cast would return, then... sure, I can’t argue with anyone’s preference. But the idea that Khara OWES it to them to let them dub the movie (which is, obviously, something that costs a lot of money) is just stupid, especially given their history over the last 10 years.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:46 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:I really just don’t get this perspective that Khara is morally obligated to give 3.0+1.0 to the old cast. Business is business. They have ZERO obligation to the Funi/ADV cast, especially when both sides have made it clear that they don’t really want anything to do with each other anymore.

If you wanna say that it would be your PREFERENCE that the Funi cast would return, then... sure, I can’t argue with anyone’s preference. But the idea that Khara OWES it to them to let them dub the movie (which is, obviously, something that costs a lot of money) is just stupid, especially given their history over the last 10 years.

Thank you. It's not a matter of what we think is right, it's the fact that Khara has a right to do what they want with their IP.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sun May 23, 2021 1:35 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:I really just don’t get this perspective that Khara is morally obligated to give 3.0+1.0 to the old cast. Business is business. They have ZERO obligation to the Funi/ADV cast, especially when both sides have made it clear that they don’t really want anything to do with each other anymore.

Pretty sure neither myself nor anyone else in this thread (which is so long at this point that I'm not gonna bother to double-check the entire thing as A. I'm lazy AF and B. It's currently 2:08 in the morning where I live and I'm gonna hit the sack after posting this OTL) has said that Khara was obligated in any way to use one cast or the other. I've said it would be the right thing to do to let the Funimation cast finish what they started as they've already poured so much time and energy into this film series. To not let them do so all because of a bunch of stuff that happened over four years ago (which partially came from how different/fucked up the English language is in comparison to Japanese, which will require changes in dialog and what not 50% of the time) I think would be very petty of them. Not to mention the fact that as we're still in the middle of a global pandemic, now is NOT the time to be petty over something as trivial as which cast members get to dub the last movie in a film series due to something that happened when the world didn't have a deadly virus killing so many people. If Khara lets the Funimation cast finish what they started, I'm gonna be one of the happiest people in the world when watching it. But if they decide to use a different cast (regardless of if they release 3.0+1.0 with the new cast before re-releasing the first three films with them...which would be really weird IMO) then I'm perfectly OK with that decision and I'll just watch the movie subbed instead. Khara doesn't owe the cast that's done the movies so far anything but the chance to finish this series and even if they don't, I'm still gonna but the movie.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun May 23, 2021 9:03 am

When you use language like “this is what they SHOULD do” or “this is what is RIGHT”, yeah, you’re very much saying they have a moral obligation.

I don’t think it’s petty at all. We’re not talking about a poor widdle small business getting fucked over by big mean Khara, we’re talking about a company whose employees and executives have badmouthed Khara on numerous occasions and with whom their working relationship has clearly deteriorated. And you speak about dubbing a film as if it’s something completely trivial that has no cost or effort associated with it at all, as if Khara could easily make an extra dub just to be nice. To a company. That has repeatedly shittalked them in the past.

Look, I get it if you prefer the Funimation cast. Everyone has their own opinions. But in this particular case, Khara owes Funi nothing. All this talk of “they SHOULD” or “it would be petty NOT TO” is just so juvenile and completely divorced from the reality that we’re dealing with two companies who very clearly, for reasons mentioned countless times in this thread, don’t like each other very much.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun May 23, 2021 9:56 am

What puts me off in all of this is the attitude from some quarters that "Only Spike Spencer can play Shinji" or "Only Tiffany Grant can play Asuka." I'm not saying anything bad about their acting abilities, but the abilities of other voice actors shouldn't be discounted.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun May 23, 2021 11:10 am

^This, a million times this. The voice actors for the Netflix dub all do a perfectly good job and have been very well cast. It's one thing to like the voices of the old ADV cast out or nostalgia or personal preference, but to denigrate the new cast because they're not the old cast is both illogical and unfair.

The only thing that I see that would make Funimation return for 3.0 + 1.0 would be an existing contract with Khara to dub that movie, which I don't see happening in light of the botched dubbing of 3.0 and Funi's highly unprofessional behavior. If there's no business contract, Khara has ZERO obligation to go to Funimation. It's well within their rights to go to Netflix and have 3.0 + 1.0 dubbed as well as have 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 redubbed with the new cast, which is what I think will eventually happen.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 pm

cyharding wrote:What puts me off in all of this is the attitude from some quarters that "Only Spike Spencer can play Shinji" or "Only Tiffany Grant can play Asuka." I'm not saying anything bad about their acting abilities, but the abilities of other voice actors shouldn't be discounted.

Would you feel the same if we were talking about the Japanese version? "Only Ogata can play Shinji' or "Only Miyamura can play Asuka"? If tomorrow Anno decided to replace everyone's performances because Ogata, Miyamura, etc. spoke out against something that happened in 3.0+1.0 and suddenly not only are they no longer going to be playing those characters going forward but instead all previous performances were re-recorded by new actors and the previous versions were officially discarded by Khara, would you say "Well, it's Khara's right to do so and we can't discount that the performances of the new actors."

For the record, I really don't think Khara owes FUNi or the ADV/FUNimation cast that they should be given the rights to the last movie. I do believe they owe it to fans to have a dub produced utilizing the FUNi cast, even if they don't involve FUNimation at all in the process of making said dub. To throw everyone who's kept up with the English release of the franchise from 1996, or at least the English release of NTE from 2009, under the bus at the finish line with one film left feels very unfair and in poor taste. Dubbing a film is expensive, sure, but we're talking about Khara and Evangelion. They can easily produce two dubs of 3.0+1.0 if they wanted to without breaking the bank, especially given they're going to recoup costs by making them commercially available.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun May 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Khara isn't obligated to keep the original cast around, full stop. Even Japanese VAs aren't subject to never getting swapped out-- sure, it's rare, but it happens. I wouldn't throw the blame for "throwing the fans under the bus" at Khara's feet, but rather at the feet of those who were apparently so unpleasant to work with Khara decided not to continue a 25-year streak of having the same actors voice their characters.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon May 24, 2021 2:39 am

What Nuke said. Anno isn't obligated to rehire a single one of the voice actors and if Anno wants to recast every single seiyuu, he is entirely within his rights to do so. It's his show, and it's his creative choice. He doesn't owe his fans anything to do with his creative decisions.

And it's not like it hasn't been done before with Japanese series - unless I'm mistaken there were some cast changes between FMA and FMA:Brotherhood, and Ghost in the Shell: Arise almost entirely recast their voice actors. Just because recasting isn't common in Japan doesn't mean it can't or won't be done, and Anno could have done it quite easily, given that some of the voice actors had aged considerably since NGE aired.

Neither does he owe it to any English-language fans to have a dub produced utilizing the Funi cast.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Mon May 24, 2021 7:39 am

Guys, maybe it is better to move that discussion about the VAs to another topic. It's true that this is not entirely unrelated to the original topic, but for some of us, who are not from North America, it's a little bit spam. Sorry, I don't want to be rude.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Mon May 24, 2021 7:56 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:When you use language like “this is what they SHOULD do” or “this is what is RIGHT”, yeah, you’re very much saying they have a moral obligation.

I don’t think it’s petty at all. We’re not talking about a poor widdle small business getting fucked over by big mean Khara, we’re talking about a company whose employees and executives have badmouthed Khara on numerous occasions and with whom their working relationship has clearly deteriorated. And you speak about dubbing a film as if it’s something completely trivial that has no cost or effort associated with it at all, as if Khara could easily make an extra dub just to be nice. To a company. That has repeatedly shittalked them in the past.

Look, I get it if you prefer the Funimation cast. Everyone has their own opinions. But in this particular case, Khara owes Funi nothing. All this talk of “they SHOULD” or “it would be petty NOT TO” is just so juvenile and completely divorced from the reality that we’re dealing with two companies who very clearly, for reasons mentioned countless times in this thread, don’t like each other very much.

I'm saying when you factor into account how we're in the middle of a global pandemic that's already killed 3.46 MILLION people in almost a year and a half what cast dubs the movie really shouldn't matter when there are much more important things to worry about, such as getting as many people vaccinated as possible and make sure to limit the spread of the virus as much a possible.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon May 24, 2021 8:52 am

The coronavirus literally has NOTHING to do with a movie getting dubbed. The Funimation VA’s aren’t gonna die of the virus because they weren’t renewed for this gig. And if, by your own words, it “really shouldn’t matter” who dubs the movie, then why are you even here arguing that it should’ve been the Funi crew?

This is not even a coherent line of argument, and I’m not going to waste my time further engaging this train of thought. If this non sequitur is where this “debate” has devolved to, then I have nothing more to say on the matter.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon May 24, 2021 10:34 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I wouldn't throw the blame for "throwing the fans under the bus" at Khara's feet, but rather at the feet of those who were apparently so unpleasant to work with Khara decided not to continue a 25-year streak of having the same actors voice their characters.

In addition to everything else - this so much.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 am

I also feel compelled to point out that Eva itself has never had a consistent cast of dub actors. Major characters such as Rei, Ritsuko, Gendou and others have gone through multiple changes between NGE/EOE/DC/Rebuild which is all before the Netflix dub. Hell, the ADV dub had voices change in the middle of the series!

Also, this isn't really unusual for English dubs to get updated years later. Sailor Moon And Gundam Seed spring to mind.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon May 24, 2021 10:59 am

Yes, from what I understand, changes in voice actors isn't uncommon in the dubbing industry at all. And given that the English-language anime dubbing industry has vastly improved in terms of quality and professionalism since the 80s/90s, the updated dubs makes complete sense from both artistic and financial standpoints.

And, to my thinking, it's quite likely that Khara would redub 1.0 and 2.0 with an updated dub script and cast if they want to release all four Evangelion movies in North America in a boxset. (That would be after the 3.0 + 1.0 dub comes out, so I guess this is reaching pretty far into the future)

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:Guys, maybe it is better to move that discussion about the VAs to another topic. It's true that this is not entirely unrelated to the original topic, but for some of us, who are not from North America, it's a little bit spam. Sorry, I don't want to be rude.

Given that this is an English-language Evangelion forum and that it caters to a large number of Evangelion fans from the Anglosphere (including those for whom English is a second/third language), it is quite obviously NOT spam to talk about a 3.0 + 1.0 English dub or the choice of voice actors in the English language. Following your logic, it would be the same as going to a Portuguese-language Eva fansite and complaining that talk about a future dub of 3.0 + 1.0 into Brazilian/European Portuguese was a "little bit spam" for users not from Brazil or Portugal, even though those are the userbase for a fansite. If you were critical of the quality of discussion that has taken place on the issue so far, that's a different matter.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon May 24, 2021 12:11 pm

I think what they're saying is that a lot of people are using this thread to monitor information about the new movie and the discussion about the dubs is more speculative than anything else. No reason to take offense, but I also agree it might better suited in another thread for that specific topic of discussion. I don't think it has anything to do with the language on the forum, just that a specific thread could carry on this conversation while this thread continues to be news about the movie. Of course, that's for the mods to decide.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”