Groups of Three

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

Groups of Three

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:42 pm

I don't know if this has been observed before, or if there's even anything interesting about the pattern, but a thought just came to me.

Most of Evangelion's main cast can be placed in groups of three.

Shinji, Asuka, Rei.
Misato, Kaji, Ritsuko.
Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Yui.
Toji, Kensuke, Hikari.
Maya, Hyuga, Aoba.

You could also group the three dead mothers (Yui, Naoko, Kyoko) and instead group Gendo and Fuyutsuki with Keel, but I think it makes for a weaker fit.

I thought it was a neat detail, though probably just coincidental.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Groups of Three

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:00 pm

It's not a wrong or coincidential observation by any stretch! The answer to that lies simply in the way out minds work; groups of three are the dynamics that we can keep track of the best. Two can be a bit onesided awful pun, I do not apologize, while four and higher can be a bit hard to follow all at once, so when writing it's generally the most intuitive to have sets of three.
Those sets can and often do have overlapping members, for a very typical example the protagonist might be in a love triangle with two characters and have a rivalry with two different ones; you can have a lot of fun with character dynamics and story structures if you play around with that a bit
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Groups of Three

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:57 pm

Yeah, lots of people like that analysis. I'm not sure if there has ever been official comment by staff, but that is also often made by assigning each one of them an Ego, Superego and Id role, or sometimes anima, animus and shadow (not strictly correct, I know).

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”