Untranslated Material Compendium

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Zusuchan
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Untranslated Material Compendium

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:23 am

Understood.

FelipeFritschF
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:17 am

Hey Rikki, you might be interested in this. Since we've just gotten the extended NHK documentary, you might be interested to see Toshio Okada/OTAKING's commentary on it, from April 12th (I think?). I've noticed you translated some of his videos in the past and the NHK doc as well (please post it here too if you translate the extended version, I was waiting to see it!) so there's bound to be some interesting material too. From what I could gather, he's quite critical of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg0oc_kEUs

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:43 am

Hi Felipe,

Lol, I watched this video, too. I like his channel so I'll enjoy working it. Thank you for your suggestion!
I liked the part Okada talked about Pre visualization. He explained that actually Yamaga already tried in "Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise". NHK documentary show says it's a bland new idea in animation but according to his memory it's not true. It was interesting to hear him talk a little bit about what was going on at Gainax at that time.

About Anno documentary, I made a playlist on Dailymotion,
https://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x735r8

hope you enjoy it.

FelipeFritschF
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:05 am

View Original PostRiki wrote:I liked the part Okada talked about Pre visualization. He explained that actually Yamaga already tried in "Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise". NHK documentary show says it's a bland new idea in animation but according to his memory it's not true.

Yes, a friend of mine commented on it, he found it interesting that Okada seems to think NHK was trying to make it look like it was the first time anyone had such an idea, as if they wanted to boost Anno's image as a pioneer. It's understandable enough now that he has been more-or-less appointed as the new visionary of the anime industry.

Thanks as always for your work!

Zusuchan
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 am

Thanks, Riki!

FelipeFritschF
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 am

Hey Rikki, it turns out that one of sources was only partially translated. It was this, the SF Magazine April 26th 1996 talk, published in August of that year. You translated it here:

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/the- ... evangelion

You translated another article mentioning an untranslated excerpt here: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/it-l ... never-came

Because that was only the first page, here: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/the- ... evangelion

You can also find the other pages here: http://anime-room.jp/modules/evangelion ... -2.htm#top

http://anime-room.jp/modules/evangelion ... -3.htm#top

http://anime-room.jp/modules/evangelion ... -4.htm#top

Trello page: https://trello.com/c/jJS1ezQe/294-augus ... f-magazine

As usual of course, you can look into whatever source you wish.

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Mon May 03, 2021 3:05 am

Hi Felipe, yea you're right.
I totally forgot to go on to next page.
I'll work on it too after I finished the one I'm translating now. :wink:

Konja7
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Her take on the finale of Q is also interesting as she saw it, this was Shinji really trying to take an active role for once but then when it started going wrong he was really just panicked & confused, like, "but I was told this would fix it..."

I think the active role of Shinji that Ogata mentioned (where he didn't accomplish anything and dragged a lot of people) is his actions in Ha. That's why she mentioned everyone around him is a stranger after that.

After that, she starts to speak about the finale of Q with the lances.

FelipeFritschF
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun May 09, 2021 8:42 pm

Ogata's account of the choking scene from her "Evangelion Forever" interview has been summarized to me:
According to Megumi Ogata, Shinji's voice actress, the scene itself was modeled on a experience of a female friend of Anno's. This friend got into an argument with her boyfriend, and at some point he choker her in rage. Instead of reacting violently, this friend felt no fear, hatred or even a need for survivl, but rather a desire to caress him tenderly. In response, her boyfriend lost her grip. However, Anno's friend instead grew cold, and muttered Asuka's line from the EoE draft almost verbatim. Ogata believes this scene was how Anno wanted to "convey different ways how to bring feelings of love to a conclusion that exist in reality. You are you, I am I". Naturally, this reflects on the films of individuality and the duality of reaching out to others present in Eva.

Anno also guided Ogata to treat OMF partly as a separate story: "as something that just exists. As if everything that happened before in the movie is merely a dream that never happened. It is its own narrative unity, something that can fundamentally be taken away from its context in the movie and still be interpreted as a dramatic whole. It is and is not the final scene of EoE."

Furthermore, Ogata asked Anno to help her understand what Anno wanted to convey through the scene and how Shinji is supposed to act. Hearing this, Anno first stands silent and confused for a moment. Then he firmly wraps his arms around himself and hugs himself. This is on the "purpose" of what he is trying to express. As for how Ogata should play Shinji Anno asks her to not play Shinji: " ''"For this scene alone, I want Ogata to take on and express my feelings rather than Shinji's"'' - 『井手功二のエヴァンゲリオンフォーエヴァー』(アミューズブックス

Alternative translation by Richitzer, but it might need a revision.

May 10th Newtype is here too. It's about Shin. Not sure if these are the full scans though.

https://trello.com/c/0KHPuUXK/307-may-2021-newtype
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

FelipeFritschF
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:57 pm

Thanks as always. What about those excerpts from the scans being missing from the site? The ones here? thread/20814/Newtype-May-10th-issue-interviews/

Riki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Riki » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:30 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:What about those excerpts from the scans being missing from the site? The ones here? thread/20814/Newtype-May-10th-issue-interviews/

I haven't read the magazine interview, so I can't be sure, but I'm guessing that the web version and the magazine version of the interview probably have different content.
My guess is that the magazine interview has a more interesting story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I translated Miyamura part.
https://trello.com/c/0KHPuUXK

Hope you enjoy it,
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/rikki/inte ... pon-a-time

Zusuchan
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks, Riki!

FelipeFritschF
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:28 pm

DeepL'd this account in Italian of Sadamoto's 2015 Japan Expo appearance, since it worked for his Milano Manga Days, says Joseki. Might need a revision. Trello page. Source here.

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, character designer of the animated series Neon Genesis Evangelion and author of the manga, was the guest of honor for the anime section of Japan Expo 2015, also due to the fact that this year marks the twentieth anniversary of the airing of the first episode. And that's not all: 2015 is the year in which the events of the 1995 series are set.

On Saturday, July 4, Sadamoto was the protagonist of a long meeting with fans, in which the floor was given to the public: the opportunity to ask questions in the round ... except on any ongoing projects, of course. A limitation dictated, first of all, by a very specific need: the confidentiality around Evangelion: Final, the next film in the Rebuild of Evangelion tetralogy. The press silence also concerned Blue Uru, the planned sequel to The Wings of Honneamise; on this Sadamoto clarified, however, that the silence does not derive from specific confidentiality clauses, but more simply from the fact that there is still nothing definitive about this project.

As expected, the questions asked by the audience were mainly about Evangelion, with some digressions about 'old' successes such as Nadia or, more generally, about the path that led him to work at Gainax (message to Italian Sadamoto-fans: you can read the full text of the conference in a future article).

About Evangelion, the author first of all answered the questions of the readers interested in its genesis, recalling that the work for that project started after a rather critical period for Gainax, despite the success of Nadia, and Sadamoto was chosen to write the manga. He went on to point out how, at the time, there was no friction over character design development between him and Hideaki Anno, director of the animated series. "Everyone had a lot of creative space," Sadamoto said, pointing out that it was "very different from the work faced, for example, on Summer Wars with Mamoru Hosoda." In this case, in fact, the director put a lot of pressure on him because he needed definitive drawings to allow for the advancement of the writing of the story.

To define the characters of Evangelion, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto said that he had 2/3 months of time. He had identified a female protagonist, sexy and intelligent, and originally wanted all the characters to have very Japanese traits; then a sponsor expressed the desire to produce a video game, and it became necessary to make strong choices, with contrasts between different colors, to distinguish the characters. It was precisely in this context that the choice matured that led, for example, to the visual contrast between Asuka and Rei, the first with red hair and blue eyes, the other exactly opposite in her choice of color. When asked which Evangelion character he likes best and which he likes least, Sadamoto declared his preference for the character of Misato, above all for age reasons ("I wouldn't mind going out with her!" he joked), while the protagonist he likes least is Lorenz Keel, head of Seele.

The work on the Eva's, on the other hand, is the one that took the longest - about 10 months of recurring exchanges with mecha designer Ikuto Yamashita. The Eva are modern reinterpretations of the images of oni, traditional Japanese demons, and are different from the mecha of other series of the past, such as Gundam. A small graphic curiosity, finally: the Evangelion were the first successful characters to sport horns pointing forward, as well as for reasons related to make the appearance threatening, to pay homage to the Eastern tradition.

As in meetings with fans during other festivals and fairs, it was then time for questions about Sadamoto's well-known passion for cars (for example, it's common knowledge that the Renault Alpine A310 driven by Misato in Evangelion is the author's tribute to Lupin III, where a Renault Alpine A110 can be seen in a chase). But even more than certain Renault models, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto has admitted to being a big fan of Citroën cars. As he said, he owns several of them, including a 2CV and a Xantia; and a few days before Japan Expo, he took advantage of his stay in France to visit a car dealer...

On the dual career between anime and comics, Sadamoto - already in charge of design in several other series - has said he is now less and less suited to animation, which requires a lot of speed. It's not for nothing that his last job as animation director dates back a decade ago, with the first episode of the OAV series Aim for the Top 2! [Diebuster / Gunbuster 2]. For his future he sees himself more as a mangaka, which is why in the Evangelion manga he worked with great care on the details of the individual images, necessarily simplified in the anime to make the animators' work easier. "If I had wanted to make my own anime, I would have done it," he declared, adding, "the end I imagined for the Evangelion manga is actually very personal, also because I had no indications and no limits from the staff working on the anime." At the end of the conference, when asked about the use of digital in animation, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto stated that only the colorists' task is becoming easier, while the animators' task is becoming more complex, because it involves further intense manual work before moving on to the actual digital work.

To conclude the report of this long and passionate meeting with fans, our note - a bit otaku, we admit - is that we are sorry we could not take a picture of the author's new platinum blonde hair. For one simple reason: Sadamoto continues to be very strict about his own image, and has imposed a "No Video/No Photo" policy on everyone present, as is his custom in almost all public appearances.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”