Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Dragon Mask
Lilith

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:11 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Jo means 2.0. Which in turn means they redubed the first three films, assuming this is indeed confirmed.

Actually, it's Jo-Ha-Kyu, Jo is 1.0.
Spoiler tagging talk about the apparent cast, just in case  SPOILER: Show
Hence Tiffany not being shown here. (I made the same mistake at first so no worries). Though I agree with mastafishere that since everyone else seems to be here (for the most part, Ritsuko is entirely new and Gendo is the 2nd and longest running VA), they almost certainly got Tiffany too.

Spoiler tagging talk about the apparent cast, just in case  SPOILER: Show
I think this would be a pretty interesting outcome if true. Spike, Alison and Amanda Winn Lee supposedly all returning. The last one in particular is a surprise considering it truly seemed she had well and fully burned that bridge by spilling the tea on the Netflix situation among many other things (she was also partially responsible for the messiness of the original EoE dub). That being said, I do like her slightly better than the Funimation actress, although I think she did a very good job replicating Amanda's performance. These three returning makes me think Tiffany is a guaranteed lock.

John Swasey was the 2nd actor for Gendo, for the Director's cut episodes, EoE and the Funimation movies. I think he did a pretty good job standing in for Tristan MacAvery, though for a perfect reunion cast I'd prefer MacAvery, since I think he matches the intensity of Gendo most of all. Mary Faber seems to be a new actress for Ritsuko, as Colleen Clinkenbeard was her voice in the previous Funimation dubs, and Erica Lindbeck was her original voice (and apparently her first role according to "Behind the Voice Actors"? I wouldn't have expected Ritsuko's voice was behind Futaba from Persona 5 for example). In any case, I look forward to hearing Mary's work, and hoping she can match a little closer to Erica's work.

Edit: I'm a dumb. Erica's not the first VA for Ritsuko, Sue Ulu is. I misread the Behind the Voice Actors page, as I explained below.

It should be noted that both Amanda's twitter post at the top of this page, and some social media replies Spike has been giving seem to have been hinting at this possibility. I guess we'll see in a week.
Last edited by The Dragon Mask on Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:15 pm

Uh, I think Erica Lindbeck was the Netflix dub, but I could be wrong. Really don't think she's old enough to have been in the ADV cast.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:19 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Uh, I think Erica Lindbeck was the Netflix dub, but I could be wrong. Really don't think she's old enough to have been in the ADV cast.

Whoopsie daisy :facepalm: , misread the Behind the Voice Actors page. (I assumed Sue Ulu was the newer VA since she was at the top of the list on the Evangelion listing, hence I thought she was newest since Yuriko Yamaguchi was at the bottom).

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:20 pm

Yeah, Erica was the Netflix Dub. Sue Ulu was the original Ritsuko. I'd love to hear her voice again but she hasn't had a credit since 2004.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:24 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Yeah, Erica was the Netflix Dub. Sue Ulu was the original Ritsuko. I'd love to hear her voice again but she hasn't had a credit since 2004.

Yeah, I really like her Ritsuko a lot more than the Funimation and Netflix ones (no offense to either intended). I just think her voice seems more distinct and mature, and her performance is engraved as Ritsuko to me. I think it's one of the reasons Ritsuko seems so much less interesting in Rebuild (the bigger reason being that she's straight up ignored for the most part, at least comparing 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 to the original show.

I suppose in retrospect I should have had more skepticism when I first thought Erica was the original Ritsuko haha. As thinking back on it now Netflix Ritsuko really does sound a lot more like Lindbeck (a much younger sounding performance to me at least).

I am interested to hear Mary's take. Hoping she can get closer to Sue.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:27 pm

I've been talking to "World Dubbing News" and, apparently, the credits are "incomplete" (when compared to the Portuguese version, that is).

I'm going to translate what they said to me.
Unfortunately the credits in English are not as complete as in Portuguese/Spanish
The other VAs (the ones not shown in the picture) are in the "additional voices section" and without the name of the character they played.
In 2.22 and 3.33 only the characters I mentioned in the text above appeared in the main cast section

Oh, these other characters are Kaworu (Daman Mills), Kaji (Sean Burgos) and Mari (Deneen Melody). No signs of Asuka, unfortunately.

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I tried using Express VPN to access Japanese Prime. Unfortunately, the site recognized I was using a VPN and blocked me from watching 3.0

This also happened to "EvangelionBR", initially. It only worked for them after using "Hola Plus" (the same VPN used by the original leaker).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:32 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Yeah, I really like her Ritsuko a lot more than the Funimation and Netflix ones (no offense to either intended). I just think her voice seems more distinct and mature, and her performance is engraved as Ritsuko to me. I think it's one of the reasons Ritsuko seems so much less interesting in Rebuild (the bigger reason being that she's straight up ignored for the most part, at least comparing 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 to the original show.

Fully agree 100%. Her breakdown in episode 23 moves me to tears. To be fair to Colleen and Erica, they're actually really good, particularly Colleen who doesn't get much of a range of emotion to play but certainly conveys the maturity and intelligence that Ritsuko needs to exude. Not her fault that her role was cut big time (especially since it appears she won't finish Ritsuko's arc, whatever that winds up being).

If that credit screen shot is legit, then Mary Faber will be the FOURTH actress to portray Ritsuko! I hope she delivers. I've always loved Ritsuko.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Oh, these other characters are Kaworu (Daman Mills), Kaji (Sean Burgos) and Mari (Deneen Melody). No signs of Asuka, unfortunately.

Wow, I'm shocked they didn't get Trina Nishimura back as Mari. That's a shame, she really gave it her all (though I wasn't a fan of her potty mouth in HA, which is a translation issue, not her fault)

Please, do not double post, unless it’s necessary — JoelcrNeto

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:45 pm

That's a shame, she really gave it her all (though I wasn't a fan of her potty mouth in HA, which is a translation issue, not her fault)

Did she ever. Even people who despised Mari as a character and for simply existing said her English VA tore it up.

Three words: "POINT BLANK SHITHEAD!"

As much as she nails it as Mari I'm sure Trina's not to upset about it, she's got a massive fan following due to being Mikasa in AoT. She'll be fine ^_^
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:54 pm

So it's kinda what I was expecting, a complete mish mash of VAs that managed to get the big three, and possibly Grant too, back to avoid the previous drama. I've haven't heard of the other actors, so I'm curious what studio is actually dubbing this.

Personally, I really liked the Netflix Shinji and Misato, so it bums me out a bit. But most dub fans will be happy, so who am I to complain. Also, I suspect that the new studio worked with Khara to avoid another Funi 3.0 situation, so that'll be a big plus.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:17 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Fully agree 100%. Her breakdown in episode 23 moves me to tears. To be fair to Colleen and Erica, they're actually really good, particularly Colleen who doesn't get much of a range of emotion to play but certainly conveys the maturity and intelligence that Ritsuko needs to exude.

Wow, I'm shocked they didn't get Trina Nishimura back as Mari. That's a shame, she really gave it her all (though I wasn't a fan of her potty mouth in HA, which is a translation issue, not her fault)

Yeah, she's the reason Episode 23 hits so hard for me as well. I hope 3+1 gives Ritsuko something to do beyond just be the "science woman" facsimile of NGE Ritsuko.

As for Mari, I do wish they kept every Funimation VA who couldn't return from the ADV set, and Mari is basically the pinnacle of the new people imo so this is kind of unfortunate news for me. But I'm willing to give her her own shot. Mari's basically been hard to properly define for the whole Rebuild series anyways, as she sort of activated different between 2.0 and 3.0 (way more irreverent against danger and more bemused by what was going on than concerned, rather than bloodthirsty berserker like she often was in 2.0). So I'm hoping a cohesive full perspective performance of Mari may be able to ease the fact that it seems to be a different VA this time.

View Original PostJayfive wrote:As much as she nails it as Mari I'm sure Trina's not to upset about it, she's got a massive fan following due to being Mikasa in AoT. She'll be fine ^_^

Yeah. If I recall correctly one of the reasons people were hyped for her casting as Mari is that I think she's half Japanese (or partially? As Nishimura is a Japanese last name.) so similar kind of to Maaya Sakamoto who's bilingual and speaks English perfectly as Mari. I hope Trina's not worried about it, as you speculate.

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:So it's kinda what I was expecting, a complete mish mash of VAs that managed to get the big three, and possibly Grant too, back to avoid the previous drama. I've haven't heard of the other actors, so I'm curious what studio is actually dubbing this.

Personally, I really liked the Netflix Shinji and Misato, so it bums me out a bit. But most dub fans will be happy, so who am I to complain. Also, I suspect that the new studio worked with Khara to avoid another Funi 3.0 situation, so that'll be a big plus.

I gotta admit that Netflix Shinji at least sounded very good, although different. Much closer to Megumi Ogata in certain parts, such as Shinji's screams in End of Evangelion. That being said I still think it's a performance of an "equal, but different" quality. However I respect people preferring the Netflix cast, and it's just another reason why re-casting them for that was messy, since it divides the fan base, leading to this situation where the final movie is stuck between appeasing two groups. Ideally, they'd have a version with the Netflix people, but that's obviously not happening because there's no incentive, just as there's no incentive for Netflix to reach out to Spike, Alison, Amanda,Tiffany, etc. to make an alternate Netflix dub. It's just messy, as I said.
Edit: And Netflix Misato sounded very good as well. Really, they all did, just that NF Shinji stood out in EoE to me most. Arguably the two casts are equal in performance, it's just that the NF script is a bit clunkier and nostalgia makes the situation with NF more disappointing as a long time fan.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Oh, these other characters are Kaworu (Daman Mills), Kaji (Sean Burgos) and Mari (Deneen Melody). No signs of Asuka, unfortunately.
This also happened to "EvangelionBR", initially. It only worked for them after using "Hola Plus" (the same VPN used by the original leaker).

So has EvangelionBR independently confirmed the English leak?

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:22 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Guys, I have info on the English dub as well. Take a look:

SPOILER: Show

These are JO's credits, apparently.
I'm almost 100% sure that this information is accurate.

So shines a good deed in this weary world??

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:46 pm

1.0 redubbed?

LaytonsApprentice2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LaytonsApprentice2 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:48 pm

Here are the voice actors for the redubs for various languages:
https://youtu.be/Y0NcaZFQZ3A
https://youtu.be/FTyC2eMzFP0
https://youtu.be/WFXa58JjFUU

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:03 pm

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:06 pm

View Original PostLaytonsApprentice2 wrote:Here are the voice actors for the redubs for various languages:
https://youtu.be/Y0NcaZFQZ3A
https://youtu.be/FTyC2eMzFP0
https://youtu.be/WFXa58JjFUU

Already downloaded backups. If these mysteriously disappear we can be sure about them.

For those who want to know Asuka's VA  SPOILER: Show
It's Tiffany Grant yo. I'm still keeping some skepticism, since we haven't gotten corroborating independent sources both on the English side of things, but this video leak seems legitimate.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:18 pm

Assuming this is all legit, I'm breathing a real sigh of relief here. It is a shame that a lot of the FUNi cast isn't reprising (Nishimura as others have said, though Jewel is also my favorite English actor for Kaworu), but that they got Spencer, Grant, and Keith back is enough for me. Having Amanda back as Rei is also so interesting - I didn't mind Palencia's portrayal at all but having Amanda back is still really cool.

It'll be interesting to compare these dubs to the ones FUNi produced, especially since most of the main cast will essentially be doing it again with a tweaked script. It definitely necessitates rewatching the first three films before the 3.0+1.01, but I don't mind at all now.

Off topic, but this makes me even more curious about the GKids/Anime Limited set now. If Khara is allowing some of the old cast back due to the poor public reception of the VSI dub, would they be alright with that dub being included? Would they allow the ADV/Manga dubs since they have the same set or a new dub with this revised cast? So many more questions. But I can take all that for now, I'm just so happy we're getting what we are.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Wow, they even got Brett Weaver to return?!

Edit: YES!!! TIffany Grant as Asuka, baby!!!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:22 pm

If true, then i am disappointed. I was planning on re-watching both NGE and NTE dubbed, however, knowing that Shinji's going to switch from a female voice actor to a male one, i'm not sure if i can get used to the latter after listening to the former
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:22 pm

View Original PostItalyzpizza wrote:Wow, they even got Brett Weaver to return?!

Edit: YES!!! TIffany Grant as Asuka, baby!!!

Who did Brett Weaver voice?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:23 pm

I'm surprised that considering all the turnover from Funi that it looks like Sakura is keeping her English VA. Was kind of curious what another VA would sound like.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”