Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:38 pm

The only proper way an English dub should end is with Spike providing disgruntled commentary over the end credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGMuaXIlckU

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Even better if he's not invited to play Shinji lol.
/s

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:40 pm

Poster I made to celebrate the upcoming release of Shin on Prime Video!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:44 pm

Absolutely poggers, I can't wait to watch this subtitled and not have to constantly have my brain trying to run in Japanese while I'm appreciating the imagery!

Axx°N N.
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:34 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Absolutely poggers, I can't wait to watch this subtitled and not have to constantly have my brain trying to run in Japanese while I'm appreciating the imagery!

With the added benefit of an in-house translator, no less! Although I still predict many a "actually despite what the guy with a direct mainline to Anno thinks, this is how it should be translated so that my theory is correct" arguments.
Après moi le déluge!

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:02 am

Crazy to imagine how things have changed since Rebuild's inception. Imagine telling someone in 2007 that an Evangelion film would appear on home video in the west, officially subtitled, before the Japanese home video version, and prior to any physical disc release. Wild.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:37 am

Imagine telling them that three films would become four, the fourth film wouldn't be out until 2021, and that foreign fans wouldn't be allowed into Japan because of a global pandemic. They'd probably think you'd been watching too much anime.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:48 am

I still remember reading in the Newtype magazine that the final movie will come out in 2008.

Only took them 13 more years. :P
Also sprach Zarathustra

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:37 am

How crazy is it that the actual release situation of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 has come to resemble the timeskip from Evangelion Q? If Shinji had been dissolved in his Eva when 1.0 came out, he'd wake up in a very different world.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:54 pm

Originally, the release schedule was based on the concept that there'd be three "recap" (for lack of a better term) films in the style of 1.0, with only the fourth being "original". I bet they could have hit those original dates (or close enough) sticking to that scenario. Whatever one thinks of Rebuild, the thing that series became is at least more interesting than originally conceived, and in my opinion, well worth the extra time.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:14 pm

That was some of the earliest news we got, but it wasn't long before we heard about a "new character" and "new Eva" being mentioned in the advertising. My memory of what it was like 14 years ago is admittedly sort of mixed up (it's been far too long -o-; ) so I need to go back to the initial press releases and reports and find out what was reported by whom, and what was preliminary and what wasn't.

I do remember some low-grade disappointment with Evangelion 1.0 being little more than a compressed version of Episodes 01-06 with some changes (Lilith, Kaworu and the "Moon Giant") and a genuine desire to see things happen differently. And then 2.0 came with a major hate train attached to it. And then 3.0 came and the pendulum swung way too far in the "new and unexpected" direction for a lot of folks, except that there wasn't much open hatred because the 2.0 haters were kind of stupefied at the time... :lol:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BernardoCairo

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:36 am

I'm far from hating HA and Q, even if I have my reservations with them. Honestly, I'm glad that we got these different takes on Evangelion's story. That's because, at least in my eyes, these differences are what make NTE interesting. It broke the conventions that my mind set up about Evangelion after watching NGE so many times. It's fun to be surprised by all the changes (even the smallest details).
Still, I would like to know what the original plan would result in. NTE would probably turn out to be a lesser version of NGE in the long run. Well, some might argue that this is what happened after all. In any case, the Evangelion team is great at editing and compressing long narrative blocks into a single unit (Death (TRUE)², for example, is amazing and my second favorite EVA movie). HA and Q would likely end up being slick, fast-paced experiences.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Axx°N N.
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:03 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I'm far from hating HA and Q, even if I have my reservations with them. Honestly, I'm glad that we got these different takes on Evangelion's story. That's because, at least in my eyes, these differences are what make NTE interesting. It broke the conventions that my mind set up about Evangelion after watching NGE so many times. It's fun to be surprised by all the changes (even the smallest details).
Still, I would like to know what the original plan would result in. NTE would probably turn out to be a lesser version of NGE in the long run. Well, some might argue that this is what happened after all. In any case, the Evangelion team is great at editing and compressing long narrative blocks into a single unit (Death (TRUE)², for example, is amazing and my second favorite EVA movie). HA and Q would likely end up being slick, fast-paced experiences.

My current view (and this obviously could change after Shin) is that NTE is lesser but at least interesting. I'll always take something flawed but with interesting failures over something across-the-board mediocre like a total remake NTE might have been.
Après moi le déluge!

mastafishere
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:16 pm

My opinion is that NTE lesser than NGE, sure, but they're still pretty spectacular movies in their own right. They're incredibly directed and have a TON to offer. Not as much as NGE, sure, but they have their own themes, their own stories, their own merit and I don't judge anyone who prefers them.

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Does anyone know what timezone the August 13th date is for? Is it going to be available in aug13th jp time=worldwide or aug13 per timezone/region?

hmm
just noticed the page about 3+1 on amazon is form amazon uk
perhaps its aug13 British Summer Time
https://amazonuk.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/japanese-record-breaking-anime-blockbuster-film-evangelion30101
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

BernardoCairo

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:10 pm

It will be released at 12:00 GMT, I believe.
SPOILER: Show
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FullMetalBiscuit
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:24 am

Very nice, gonna watch 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 the nights before then, ready for a midnight viewing. Or maybe 3.33 the same night to go right into 3.0+1.0.

It's simply a nice thought that it's just over a month until that is possible.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:30 am

I might start rewatching the TV series again in August, and go through the movies and finally watch 3.0+1.01.

I actually haven't watched TV series fully since the late 90s.... so I don't remember a lot of things lol.
Also sprach Zarathustra

BernardoCairo

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:51 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:I actually haven't watched TV series fully since the late 90s

Holy moly! How did you manage to stay away from Evangelion for so long?! lol
Well, if you're planning on rewatching it, can I give you some suggestions?
Firstly, try to watch one episode per day (or two, at max). That way, you will have some time to breathe and think about what you just saw (things get wild around episode 22'). NGE is a show whose episodes vary a lot from each other (in tone and overall structure). We try to group them into subcategories, but this can only go up to a certain limit. It's good to digest each of them individually, in my opinion. Also, don't watch EOE right after finishing episode 26. Otherwise, you probably won't pay enough attention to either conclusion.
Of course, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to watch the series. You may have your own way of doing things and that's awesome! These are just a few suggestions that made my last viewing a blast.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:53 pm

Personally, I find two a day is a great fit, and that's what I'll be doing for my re-watch. The first two episodes kind of encourage it, and the rest work well that way.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”