Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:27 pm

Thought we should make a thread for this

Following the announcement of Avant1+Avant 2 on Amazon Prime...

1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are now listed there as well. It seems quite possible they're gonna make it available worldwide. EM has noted in this video, even, that the English subtitles in the trailers are different from those made by Funimation. This might indicate Khara is remaking their localizations of 1.0 and 2.0 like they did for the Funimation 3.0 sub. Presumably by Kanemitsu as well. Nothing surprising considering the past few years of troubles with Funimation and Khara.

https://youtu.be/lIOkSWHpHbk

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:56 am

It's interesting they're going for Amazon, not Netflix, though I guess Netflix not caring very much when it came to devotion towards Eva was probably the main cause for it. In a way, Khara is really just cycling between various companies, searching for the opportunity to get the best version of Eva out in the West, isn't it?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:05 pm

It would seem so. People speculate that the main reason they didn't go with Funimation or Crunchyroll for NGE in the first place is because they wanted to go with a "serious" mainstream company, not an unreliable, niche otaku company managed by fans. They had bad experiences with ADV in the 90s and 00s, and then Funi as well. Remember they had to remake the 3.0 localization because the Funi release was so problematic, and when Netflix got the licence the Funimation president even complained about it publicly. So going with Netflix and/or Amazon would be a more logical step. They also obviously have deeper pockets and better infrastructure. Now we can't say if going for Amazon now was planned all along or if they just made that choice after Netflix's release was less than ideal - any potential differences we can see in the upcoming Blurei release will help illustrate that.

But the general impression we have that they now care much more about international releases (especially in English) is easy to confirm. It took me too long to find out the Italian translator outright said Khara orientated himto follow the text closely - though he kinda screwed that up. It might not be a stretch to think Netflix rushed their releases, though. Tiffany Grant also though that, but I think in her case it's speculation on her part, though of course her perspective is of more value than most others'. So perhaps Khara moved to Amazon because of that. Or was just given a sweeter deal.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/11/1813 ... -interview

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:29 pm

Having NGE on Netflix and NTE on Prime, would go some way to debunking the idea that they have any close relationship to each other (aka sequel or loop). Though who knows if they even care about people thinking that!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:58 am

The Prime pages are also available in Indonesian, interestingly. Another point of curiosity: When the narrator said "Shin Evangelion Gekijouban" at the end of 3.0's recap video, the subtitles say "Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time (Shin Evangelion)" which makes me wonder if both titles would be used for the international release for artistic reason like how Toho insisted on using "Shin Godzilla" as opposed to the localized "Godzilla Resurgence" title.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:47 am

I mean, the English titles of the movies were literally chosen by Khara, it's not like Shin Godzilla where Funimation came up with that stupid "Godzilla: Resurgence" title. I'd personally prefer if the Japanese titles stayed in Japan, they would just cause unnecessary confusion for people who aren't hardcore fans. The English titles are a lot easier for international audiences to understand.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:32 pm

I know, that's why I said both titles being included. It's unlikely as the film already has an official English title picked by Anno himself and that'd only cause confusion to casual audiences, but the "シン・[Insert Franchise Name]" is kind of the brand for three of his most recent films (I'm sure they won't allow Shin Ultraman to get a funny English title too) so it's not hard to imagine they want to snuck in the Japanese title.

Maybe something like:
Evangelion: 3.0+1.0
Thrice Upon a Time
(Shin Evangelion)

Okay that sounds stupid, so English name-only then. :rei_poke:

Anyway, at this point Amazon Prime sounds like khara's choice for Rebuild's streaming availability which is nice. Prime's library may not be as stacked as other OTT services out there but their original films have been consistently good (e.g. Manchester by the Sea, Sound of Metal, Honey Boy) compared to Netflix's so there's a sense of prestige with the tetralogy being available in there.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Is this gonna happen in the states or is this strictly in Japan?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:03 pm

We don't know; nothing has been announced.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Marynou_penguin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marynou_penguin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:33 pm

Although I can't tell the hows and whys I know that, Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is coming to Prime worldwide very, very soon.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:53 pm

I also have seen today another proof of it being already 100% dubbed.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:57 pm

.......May we see this proof?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Marynou_penguin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marynou_penguin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:03 pm

The movie is already dubbed and subbed in several languages. The work has been ongoing for months now. 3+1 was done quite a while ago for some languages.

I can't reveal my source though as they are so close to the project that it would probably kill a few careers.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 pm

View Original PostMarynou_penguin wrote:Although I can't tell the hows and whys I know that, Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is coming to Prime worldwide very, very soon.

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I also have seen today another proof of it being already 100% dubbed.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:20 pm

* fingers crossed *

...I have to ask if any of my family members still have prime.

I wanted to cut down on giving the Bezos man money but god damnit I really wanna see it :((
Last edited by Kendrix on Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Marynou_penguin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Marynou_penguin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:21 pm

This isn't hope though. Many people have known for months and now that the cat is mostly out of the bag, people start to come forward. Some of us even had access to the story.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:31 pm

View Original PostMarynou_penguin wrote:The movie is already dubbed and subbed in several languages. The work has been ongoing for months now. 3+1 was done quite a while ago for some languages.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:31 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:.......May we see this proof?

I think EvaGeeks is too big of a platform and I don't want to throw people under the bus in case someone at Amazon/khara/TOHO/Toei/whatever is reading this forum lol, but I've detailed a bit more on Discord.

To keep it vague, someone that worked on a dub said so.

EDIT: and to be honest, some fansites I follow have been reporting on a possible Shin Eva to Prime Video since December of 2020, much earlier than Eva Monkey.
Last edited by Joseki on Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Well, if this DOES prove true, I just asked my sister and she'll let me use her prime account.

Shoutout to Maria, the best sister in the world (except for perhaps my other two sisters)

Now plz have Mercy upon Shin-chan, Master Anno
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:45 pm

View Original PostMarynou_penguin wrote:This isn't hope though. Many people have known for months and now that the cat is mostly out of the bag, people start to come forward. Some of us even had access to the story.

Would it be possible to give me some idea of how soon "very, very soon" is? :rei_poke:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”