What is Rei doing in that weird Sephirothic LCL pool in EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FriedGlutenDisc
Embryo

What is Rei doing in that weird Sephirothic LCL pool in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby FriedGlutenDisc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:26 am

Just finished rewatching the whole series, and this scene stuck out to me, but I can hardly find any mention of it online, let alone discussion. Where is she? The Eva graveyard? The Dummy Plug Plant? What is she doing? Why is she doing it seemingly unsupervised?

If anyone has any answers or even guesses, please let me know.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: What is Rei doing in that weird Sephirothic LCL pool in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:06 pm

It's been a hot minute since I've seen EoE, but if memory serves me, it was somehwere in Terminal Dogma. The Eva Graveyard is too large to be the one in that shot, so it'd need to be some other Sephirotic Tree tho.
Sorry I can't be of more help there, lol
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Shun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shun » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:22 pm

Considering that Rei is inside the Sephirah Malkuth, the one closest to the earthly world, I imagine that symbolically it means that she is preparing for the ascension along the Tree of Life, to reach at the end of the ritual the spiritual world represented by the Sephirah Keter (the crown). Remember the crown of MP Evas on Lilith's head, and the Tree of Life that enter inside her from the third eye. Narratively it could be a purification ritual or something related to AT Field to prepare the body/soul for merging with Lilith, nothing else comes to my mind.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
My articles about Evangelion
My Evangelion website

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:36 pm

The indentations do seem to be the same ones as in the EVA graveyard.

My attention goes mostly to how she's neatly folded the clothes. Maybe an allusion to the stereotype that ppl who aren't planning to come back or are suicidal leave their clothes all neat, or how she's 'cast off the veneer of humanity'
Though it's also a market difference to how Rei II would just throw her clothes wherever (see eps 5 and 6) and then pick them up later.
It's hard to pinpoint if this is a difference between the two incarnations or simply due to the situation, the 'promised day' having finally come.

As to the actual function, my thought was also that it's some sort of preparation, or alternatively, the preparation's already done and the LCL is meant to keep her together till Gendo comes to pick her off. That, or some sentimental purpose. Ritsuko does tell us that this is where Yui died, so, also where they got the scraps of meat that Rei was created from.

At least when she climbed out there & goes to the dummy plug plant that probably was for sentimental reasons, if Gendo's line is any indication.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:41 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote: Ritsuko does tell us that this is where Yui died, so, also where they got the scraps of meat that Rei was created from.

Yui died in the setup at the Eva Graveyard where Eva-01 was created, and there never was a corpse left behind. Yes, both look very similar visually (and this is wholly deliberate) but this isn't the same place.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”