What should STUDIO KHARA Rebuild next?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

sithsauron
Adam

What should STUDIO KHARA Rebuild next?

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:43 pm

For me, It's gotta be VISION OF ESCAFLOWNE.

Came out around the same time as Evangelion, although the animation quality has not aged well, the soundtrack to Escaflowne is among THE GREATEST SOUNDTRACKS IN ANIME HISTORY imo. The original Isekai. So many childhood memories...

So in your opinion, what should Studio Khara Rebuild Next?...

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: What should STUDIO KHARA Rebuild next?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:18 pm

Honestly, I'd rather see them doing something original next. If I had to pick an existing property I'd say aim for the stars, Anno-directed Gundam series
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:53 pm

Escaflowne was a Studio Sunrise creation. Khara doesn't own the IP, so no Rebuild of that.

While I was about to say Aoki Uru (Uru in Blue), it appears that Gaina, the restructured entity that came from the remnants of Gainax, is going to be releasing that in 2022 with Hiroyuki Yamaga leading the project. So Khara isn't going to Rebuild that either.

On the other hand, Khara is listed as a co-producer of Shin Ultraman, so they're likely to be involved with any sequels to the Live-Action Shin Ultraman and, who knows, perhaps an animated Ultraman TV series to go along with the movies?

Alternatively, Anno might decide for Khara to go and help his old mentor Hayao Miyazaki finish his last movie project, and given Miyazaki's long friendship with Anno it strikes me as an appropriate way of thanking an old friend. If that's not an option either, it's likely that they'll get to work on a new project altogether.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:05 am

View Original Postsithsauron wrote:although the animation quality has not aged well

......well that's a take I've never seen...

Escaflowne is easily one of the most well animated TV shows of the 90s and a prime example of traditional celluloid on film animation reaching it's absolute peak before the switchover to digital began. It's one of Sunrise's highest budget shows of the time produced by their famous internal Studio #2 that would next make Cowboy Bebop with a lot of the same animation legends like Yutaka Nakamura, Hiroshi Osaka, Yoshiyuki Ito, Hirotoshi Sano, Koichi Horikawa and many more, with a lot of these people later moving to Studio Bones and continuing their prolific careers that get them accolades to this day.

I know some people don't like the noses but that's a question of character design taste and nothing to do with animation quality.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:27 am

^Interesting, I never knew the connection to Cowboy Bebop.

On that topic, there's a dedicated thread to Escaflowne so any further Escaflowne-related conversation goes in there.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:16 am

I'm very much for them doing something original as I think there is a danger like the US there could be this over saturation of reboots, so trying things fresh and new I feel is for the better.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Orpheus388
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Orpheus388 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:29 am

Evangelion left itself open to reinterpretation and and a Rebuild. I cant think of a reason for Anno to do this again with any of his other properties unless he decides to he really really wants to do Kare Kano again without the author making him quit. But I dont see that happening. I see them either expanding of the short films from the expo into a feature film or doing something completely original. Perhaps even go into a tv show.
You can call me Thanatos, kupo!

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 am

I would love for Anno to either "rebuild" or give a proper ending to Kare Kano, but the chance of that happening is sadly rather slim. Besides from that, Anno adapting Miyazaki's Nausicaä manga (as he has expressed an interest in) would be cool as well.

With the notable exceptions of these two possibilities, I would prefer for both Anno and Khara to do something original.

Orpheus388
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Orpheus388 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:52 am

I don't think Anno would make Nausicaa sequels without Miyazakis involvement. Assuming that hes still interested in just having sequels to the original film. Specifically to show volume 7, I believe because it expresses Miyazakis dislike of humanity more than anything else hes done apparently. I think the ship has sailed on this. Miyazaki seems content working on How Do You Live until he physically cannot work anymore.
You can call me Thanatos, kupo!

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 am

Miyazaki has already said Anno can do Nausicaä stuff without his involvement, whether or not Anno will actually feel comfortable with doing so is a different question. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't think he required Miyazaki's involvement.

I actually forgot that Ursus said Khara could help with the production of Miyazaki's new film, like they did with some other Ghibli films. That's a possibility I ain't against, for no other reason than it could give us more Miyazaki sooner rather than later.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 am

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I would love for Anno to either "rebuild" or give a proper ending to Kare Kano, but the chance of that happening is sadly rather slim. Besides from that, Anno adapting Miyazaki's Nausicaä manga (as he has expressed an interest in) would be cool as well.

With the notable exceptions of these two possibilities, I would prefer for both Anno and Khara to do something original.

The problem with Kare Kano is that the manga it's based on goes downhill sharply from the point that Gainax left it...

Also, I agree that new work would be more interesting.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:03 pm

I'm aware that the Kare Kano manga, well, does what it does. I guess I should have clarified that Anno being able to do whatever he wants without having to worry about the source material too much is something I would consider a necessary prerequisite for any potential return to Kare Kano from him.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 am

With Shin Ultraman having already drawn to a close (just waiting for that release), I think the studio might be interested in another animated film. Something original would be nice. Anno has already referenced all of his a animated works in some fashion in NTE, what with the Kara Kano music score in Eva Ha, the Nadia score, the Nadia-referencing costume/set designs and cinematography, and even a subtle GunBuster nod with the time skip and space battle in Eva Q. With these references already at play in NTE (with possible more to be revealed with Shin Eva's release), Anno may not be interested in revisiting any of his old works in the same way he revisited Evangelion. The next project might be a stand alone animated film. I'm just so used to Anno's animated productions being somewhat episodic in nature that I have absolutely no clue as to what a stand alone animated feature length film from him would look like.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:38 am

I hope they Rebuild nothing.

I hope Khara does a complete original next. The Animator Expo expertly showed the world they have a ton of great artists with unique voices on staff. Whatever their 2022 project is - if it hasn't been delayed because of Covid causing production issues - I hope it's not a remake, reboot or update of any existing project. I want to be surprised by something original. I'm also hoping it's something directed by someone other than Anno. Khara needs to be more than Evangelion and Anno if it wants to keep producing good work.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I hope Khara does a complete original next. The Animator Expo expertly showed the world they have a ton of great artists with unique voices on staff.

Absolutely agreed. On that note - a full size Iconic Field series/OVA is still my pipe dream
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:10 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Whatever their 2022 project is - if it hasn't been delayed because of Covid causing production issues - I hope it's not a remake, reboot or update of any existing project. I want to be surprised by something original. I'm also hoping it's something directed by someone other than Anno.

Same here. While like some other posters, I would be interested in seeing his version of Nausicaa based on the manga, an original work would be best. My hope is that a group of animators and other creative types approach Anno and say something along the lines of "Sir, we have an idea for a project. Could you take a look at it?"
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:58 am

View Original Postsithsauron wrote:The original Isekai.

Excuse me, but that is Dunbine.

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Honestly, I'd rather see them doing something original next. If I had to pick an existing property I'd say aim for the stars, Anno-directed Gundam series

Ohohoho that's gonna make the Eva Hating UC Gundam Elitists SQUIRM.

I owe one of those my love for Eva. Had he not STFU about it made me get interested.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:38 pm

I think Kamen Rider is a good choice.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:16 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I think Kamen Rider is a good choice.

You’re gonna love it when you hear about the latest installment in the Shin series. Or are you just joking? :wink:

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:12 pm

^
Maybe? Perhaps? Probably?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”