"Child" or "Children" in Non-English Evangelion subs or dubs?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

"Child" or "Children" in Non-English Evangelion subs or dubs?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:00 am

This is a question to everyone who has watched Evangelion subbed or dubbed in any language other than English : are the children called "First Children", "Second Children", and so on in the plural, or the "First Child", "Second Child" and so on in the singular? And to those who have watched both the Netflix and pre-Netflix subs/dubs of Evangelion, has Netflix changed the Child/Children term? Thanks in advance to everyone who can help with this!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: "Child" or "Children" in Non-English Evangelion subs or dubs?

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 am

I've watched in portuguese once (Netflix) and it uses the term criança (child), in the singular.
Considering Normative Grammar, it would make no sense for this word to be in the plural. Like, not at all. I believe that's awkward, even in English. Unless you are considering the term "First Children", for example, as purely a title or name. In this instance, fine, because there's no "right" or "wrong" when we are naming something. But even so, I don't really understand the thought process that was used to devise this term.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 am

In ADV english dub its first, second, third child. (singular)
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 am

It's the plural form ("Children") in the Netflix subs.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”