Episode 20 - Kaji's capsule discussion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AngelsHalo
Embryo

Episode 20 - Kaji's capsule discussion

•      
  •      

Postby AngelsHalo » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:39 pm

Split out of the "Scribe sign-up sheet" because it turned into a substantial discussion of its own

Hello, I was sitting here rewatching NGE when I got to episode 20 and I noticed something I hadn’t before. At the end of the episode when Kaji and Misato are having sex he tried to put the capsule he gives her. Like. Inside of her, and she has to stop him and ask what it is. I just thought this was a really weird detail and I went to the episode 20 wiki to try to get some more information and I noticed that the synopsis there didn’t mention this at all. I was just interested in either requesting someone add that to the synopsis or to be given a wiki account so I can do it myself. If people think that the information shouldn’t be on the wiki’s synopsis that’s ok too; I just think it’s an odd plot detail that could be thought about more.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Re: Scribe Sign-Up Sheet

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:28 am

Haven't seen Episode 20 in a while, but I'll watch the scene and the capsule part again. From what I remember, Kaji's telling her he put something in the capsule, he didn't literally try to put the capsule inside Misato!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:04 am

He did; she says "Don't put weird stuff in there!" But, contrary to what some people believe, he tried to put it in her mouth and not some other orifice, as evidenced by her muffled voice. He might have delivered the capsule via a kiss, too, instead of his hands. Keeping it in his mouth for safekeeping doesn't seem too far fetched; he is nude, so where else would he produce it from? And in case he gets into a sticky situation or gets captured, he can swallow the capsule and destroy the evidence that way.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

AngelsHalo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AngelsHalo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:54 am

But why does he want Misato to keep it in her mouth? It might make sense for Kaji to do it cause he's like a triple agent but I don't think it makes sense for Misato to do the same

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:45 am

He doesn't want Misato to keep it in her mouth, he expects her to use it to obtain information about Nerv and its real mission.

AngelsHalo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AngelsHalo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:58 am

I just didn't understand why he tries to give it to her with his mouth and not just handing it to her. I guess it's kinda supposed to be a surprise gift for her and that's just his way of giving it to her.

Originally I thought he was maybe trying to give it to her without her noticing or something.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:02 pm

I couldn't really say why Kaji decided to give it to Misato in the way he did, though maybe he considered it something of a parting gift, in case they wouldn't see each other again.

AngelsHalo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AngelsHalo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:04 pm

Yeah that's basically what he says in his next lines so it's probably just like a "sexy" way to give her his last gift

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:56 pm

I actually had no clue about any of this until now! My dirty mind assumed that Kaji was trying to stuff a pencil or something up Misato’s you-know-what. None of their actions were on screen, and Misato's lines were very suggestive, so you can probably see where I was coming from.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm

I think part of that was entirely intentional. ;)
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:50 pm

Very likely, Kaji assumed there were listening devices in their room (I think Ritsuko did imply to Misato in a previous episode that Nerv knows they were seeing each other unprofessionally), so it was the best way to sneak the info right under Section 2's noses. Nerv would think Kaji was into some kinky stuff and leave it at that.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Episode 20 - Kaji's capsule discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:59 pm

I guess Kaji was being extra sneaky because there could ve eyes everywhere
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Episode 20 - Kaji's capsule discussion

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:11 pm

Having only seen the ADV dub lately, I also thought he was trying to keister it.
In this version, her voice isn't muffled, but she does start making sex sounds like something is going on... down there.
So, maybe how he gives it to her depends on which version you're watching.

He was able to give her the capsule without verbally making it obvious that he gave her anything, which I believe was his intent because his apartment was likely bugged.

*Edit (with Manga spoiler);
In the Manga version he snuck the capsule to Misato by kissing her in her office and transferring it into her mouth (very discreetly done).
I suspect that this scene was written in the Manga first and the anime used the same tactic, but in a sex scene where it didn't make as much sense. Kind of like the sex scene was an afterthought.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”