Possibilities and theories for NTE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Possibilities and theories for NTE

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:37 pm

View Original PostSharpe wrote:If Shinji in his old plugsuit is simply just because they have one lying around or they make one for him, I’ll be somewhat disappointed, it would be cool if he got a new one (and you’d think khara would want to opt to give him a new one for merchandising). Unit 01 looks beautiful.

It's possible that Shinji's 01 plugsuit in the trailer is Khara's having modified it to keep the surprise (I mean, a completely new plugsuit would spoil that WILLE took him as a pilot and that he's now fighting for them for example), after all they already did a similar thing with the trailer showing Mari in a black plugsuit, which turned out to be the new white plugsuit with just the color swapped.

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:As I said in these previous posts of mine, giving up Evangelion Unit 01 would cause the Wunder to crash, so I naturally believe that even if it would be nice to have a scene where it is Misato who like Gendo tells Shinji to pilot the Eva 01, I expect instead that Shinji himself will have to take it back after it will no longer be in the hands of Wille's. There will be some good scenes of Misato regaining trust in Shinji,I don't doubt about this, but it would make more sense if Shinji were to make the decision he has to drive to fix everything. I mean up to now Shinji has never piloted without someone first explaining why he should do it (even when he went to collect Rei II Mari still told him something about why he should pilot). It would be the demonstration of his growth that he uses Evangelion Unit 01 for the first time as his initiative.

The theme of 3.0 is that people must communicate and work together to accomplish victory instead of rushing with a narrow-minded mindset that you are in the right and can fix everything, so to have Shinji do exactly that in Shin would betray that message, so I don't think this is how it'll go. Although I still have no idea how this scene of Shinji in front of 01 in what looks like its Eva cage from Tokyo-3 can happen. (except Instrumentality-induced mind fuckery)

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Yeah, I have the same feeling! I mean, post time-skip Misato takes a lot of visual cues from Gendo. She also runs an agency that maintains Evangelions and appears to be "colder" towards the world. So it would be fun to see her take on a role similar to his in the first two films!
At this point, I'm pretty sure that Asuka and Mari will have some problems during their mission and Misato, out of options, will have to encourage Shinji to get into Unit 01 and help.

Post-timeskip Misato is basically a Nadia's Captain Nemo with boobs, both in the attire, the drive and their aloofness. Both even command giant flying ship and the Wunder's first flight is even accompanied by a remix of a song from Nadia, the parallels can't be more obvious!

Edit: This is a thread that's been split from the "Shin Eva-New Trailer (12-24-20)" thread.
-Zusuchan
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:09 pm

I'd say putting Shinji in the 01 plugsuit is a bigger spoiler by itself, and if Khara wanted to hide something like they did with Mari, they would have just kept him in the 13 plugsuit.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:14 am

Would it be considered a "spoiler" if it's something the marketing team think safe to show in promo footages? Shinji wearing the old plugsuit is one hell of a tease but it's more of a large breadcrumb than anything else, for now we do know he will wear it and pilot Unit-01 at some point in the film, but how does it get to that point is still a total mystery.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:32 am

I still wouldn't bet in Instrumentality. Not after 2 "near impacts"
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:27 am

I'd say putting Shinji in the 01 plugsuit is a bigger spoiler by itself
For me they did it to maximize the hype. It's kind of like my earlier conversation with BernardoCairo about why Toei release so many trailers on the DBS Broly movie, some spoilers are needed to attract as many people as possible otherwise what's the other purpose of trailers shoul be?However, the spoilers that I feel they should have avoided giving us personally I believe are Gendo with the damaged visor and the battle between Evangelion Unit 01 and Evangelion 13.
for now we do know he will wear it and pilot Unit-01 at some point in the film, but how does it get to that point is still a total mystery.
Indeed, I believe that this was done on purpose to increase the curiosity of the fans, I'm sure a lot of us seeing Shinji piloting Evangelion 01 and wearing his old plugsuit instead of being angry for this revelation as a first reaction have wondered what the hell was going to happening and say that they couldn't wait to see the movie.
I still wouldn't bet in Instrumentality. Not after 2 "near impacts"
I don't even think I want to bet on what will happen, we don't even know what will lead Shinji to pilot the Evangelion Unit 01 again, it seems too early to give to be sure that Instrumentality will not happen or will happen.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:However, the spoilers that I feel they should have avoided giving us personally I believe are Gendo with the damaged visor and the battle between Evangelion Unit 01 and Evangelion 13.

At the end of the day though we don't know if these are spoilers. Maybe it's minor stuff all things considered, maybe Shinji doesn't actually pilot 01, maybe he pilots 13 again. Maybe none of the scenes featuring him in his old plug suit are happening in the literal Eva world (still am suspicious about Nerv being restored like that).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:30 pm

kuribo-04 yes, I too am quite suspicious of the images of the presumed Nerv and Tokyo III restored. But I really think Shinji is the pilot of Evangelion Unit 01, because I believe that instead of Gendo and Fuyutsuki to control Evangelion 13 could be Kaworu's soul. Because the pose of Evangelion 13 in the trailer not only is it apparently quite similar with which Kaworu appears in Ep 24 but if you notice well in both scenes there seems to be the sunset in both scenes. Maybe Kaworu wants to look like the real villain to defeat in order to try to redeem Shinji in the eyes of the world.
Maybe none of the scenes featuring him in his old plug suit are happening in the literal Eva world
Do you think that maybe those scenes could even take place in Shinji's dream world where he was talking to Rei Quantum in 1.0 and 2.0 or even within some form of new space created thanks to Instrumentality?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:17 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:kuribo-04 yes, I too am quite suspicious of the images of the presumed Nerv and Tokyo III restored. But I really think Shinji is the pilot of Evangelion Unit 01

Oh I think so too. But I think some things might be different than we expect and there's gonna be surprises.
Do you think that maybe those scenes could even take place in Shinji's dream world where he was talking to Rei Quantum in 1.0 and 2.0 or even within some form of new space created thanks to Instrumentality?

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The Seele monolith with the Keel Lorenz voice in 3.0 was pretty much talking about Instrumentality, maybe it comes back in some form.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:52 pm

But I think some things might be different than we expect and there's gonna be surprises.
Given that it is Evangelion we are talking about it is really likely that we will be shocked seeing the film.
The Seele monolith with the Keel Lorenz voice in 3.0 was pretty much talking about Instrumentality, maybe it comes back in some form.
I hope it does not happen because a return of SEELE perhaps in some divine form would devalue Gendo's role as main antagonist (although in reality I believe that some betrayal by Fuyutsuki against Gendo is not impossible, or that they will be the Evangelion 13 and Lilith in one way or another that be able for give to Gendo some bad joke).If I remember correctly when Fuyutsuki had turned off the monoliths Gendo had said something like that their souls have returned to their respective bodies. I guess the bars on the moon could hold SEELE human bodies.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:22 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:I'd say putting Shinji in the 01 plugsuit is a bigger spoiler by itself, and if Khara wanted to hide something like they did with Mari, they would have just kept him in the 13 plugsuit.

Putting Shinji in the white 01 plugsuit is spoiler for them showing us at least some of what happened during the 14 year timeskip where Shinji was in Unit 01. Because the Shinji with the serious expression and the glowing purple eyes, isn't Shinji.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:47 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Because the Shinji with the serious expression and the glowing purple eyes, isn't Shinji.

Why not? He had both of those in ha's climax (Save for the eyes being orange)
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:59 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Why not? He had both of those in ha's climax (Save for the eyes being orange)

One, it reminds me a bit of the glow behind Asukas eyepatch in 3.33. Also purple in terms of color theory is often a sign of contamination or corruption or demonic possession in Japanese pop culture. As opposed to the angry red and orange in the 2.22 Climax.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:49 pm

Ray wrote:Also purple in terms of color theory is often a sign of contamination or corruption or demonic possession in Japanese pop culture.

That's true. In Japan, purple is associated with things like poisoning. But, if you want to explore the color theory, there are more things to consider.
In broader terms, purple can be associated with elements like luxury, royalty and power. That's because it was hard to produce it for the longest of times (that's why we don't see many flags with the color purple in it today).
It can also represents dignity, devotion and pride (things that I expect to see from Shinji's character in 3.0 + 1.0). That's because this color is created by combining red (strong warm) with blue (strong cool). So, it retains both warm and cool properties.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:49 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:
View Original PostArcadia's legacy#909277 wrote:Why not? He had both of those in ha's climax (Save for the eyes being orange)

One, it reminds me a bit of the glow behind Asukas eyepatch in 3.33. Also purple in terms of color theory is often a sign of contamination or corruption or demonic possession in Japanese pop culture. As opposed to the angry red and orange in the 2.22 Climax.

During the initial discussion of this new trailer a reputable member of this forum suggested Purple in this case actually means control over the situation and other meanings more or less similar to that, even by the cinematography you can tell Shinji is more calmer/mature and apparently master his abilities in constrast to Ha!Shinji were he's much more angrier, destructive and immature, he clearly didn't master him power at that time.
It's implied this is the final move of the movie, it is obvious most NTE trailers are near incomprehensible without seeing the movies, but they reveal quite a lot of stuff (speaking for Ha more specifically), there's even an Awakened Eva 01 revealed before the movie came out at some point.

Saying this Shinji is another Shinji is equal to that dumb Japanese theory of having 2 Unit 01 in the movie and could be compared to the Loop theory.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:06 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:
View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man#908985 wrote:I'd say putting Shinji in the 01 plugsuit is a bigger spoiler by itself, and if Khara wanted to hide something like they did with Mari, they would have just kept him in the 13 plugsuit.

Putting Shinji in the white 01 plugsuit is spoiler for them showing us at least some of what happened during the 14 year timeskip where Shinji was in Unit 01. Because the Shinji with the serious expression and the glowing purple eyes, isn't Shinji.

Huh? What does the timeskip have to do with this? Shinji was in his school uniform when 2.0 ended.

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:Saying this Shinji is another Shinji is equal to that dumb Japanese theory of having 2 Unit 01 in the movie and could be compared to the Loop theory.

Or the kids who say the Asuka in Q is actually Sōryu because the old plugsuit is reminiscent of a screenshot from Maya's POV in EOE
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:30 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:
Huh? What does the timeskip have to do with this? Shinji was in his school uniform when 2.0 ended.

Lemme clarify.
I believe that part of the movie maybe even a solid 20 or thereabouts minute chunk of it, is going to be a flashback to what happened between 2.22 and 3.33, and this Shinji with glowing Purple eyes is not in fact the real Shinji. That is this is not the one who came out of eva unit 01 when Wille retrieved it from the Cross coffin in space. It is in fact, an angel imposter that emerged from Unit 01s core sometime during the timeskip and is the real reason noone trusts Shinji at the start of 3.33, and why he had the 'SI-03??" drawn on his foot when he was released from decontamination.

Huagh
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Huagh » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:37 pm

But the Shinji that is wearing the white plugsuit, and the one with purple eyes is heavily implied to be piloting EVA-01, and that would be impossible during the time skip as EVA-01 is out in space.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:45 pm

It's likely it wasn't in space for the entire 14 years.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:46 am

I personally think the whole "imposter Angel Shinji gets confused for the real Shinji" theory that GoatJesus created doesn't really hold up, for one main reason: the presence of Unit 13. That unit was the latest one yet in the time of 3.0, and its construction was just completed before the climax of the movie. The GoatJesus theory seems to be suggesting that the fight with Unit 13 takes place just a few months after 2.0, which creates a contradiction. That's why I think that the fight with Unit 13 has to be taking place in the "present day" of the final movie, and that Shinji will pilot again.

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:13 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I personally think the whole "imposter Angel Shinji gets confused for the real Shinji" theory that GoatJesus created doesn't really hold up, for one main reason: the presence of Unit 13. That unit was the latest one yet in the time of 3.0, and its construction was just completed before the climax of the movie. The GoatJesus theory seems to be suggesting that the fight with Unit 13 takes place just a few months after 2.0, which creates a contradiction. That's why I think that the fight with Unit 13 has to be taking place in the "present day" of the final movie, and that Shinji will pilot again.

This, all of this. I've been thinking about GoatJesus theory, and Unit 13 being being completed in 3.0 is a clear contradiction to it.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”