Episode 26 dialogue between Asuka and Shinji

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
bogdanblue
Embryo

Episode 26 dialogue between Asuka and Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby bogdanblue » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 pm

Can anyone make out what Asuka and Shinji are saying in this scene from episode 26? It's just after Asuka gets Shinji out of bed then it switches to Yui and Gendo and you can hear them arguing in the background.

https://imgur.com/a/Jxm6GX5

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Episode 26 dialogue between Asuka and Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm

It's not Asuka and Shinji in the background, but some radio/TV with Maya as reporter:
— And now we are going to transfer to our reporter!
— Hi! This is Ibuki! In that other occasion I was watching the cherry trees blossom marking the begginning of the rainning season. But now I'm here at the Second Tokyo Tower where the traditional stairway climbing is about to begin. The participants are now doing some preparation exercises. Let's hear them.
— Excuse me. Where did you come from, today?
— I'm from Nerima district, at Tokyo.
— That's pretty far away, why all the hassle for coming here?
— It wasn't a big deal. I can see the Tower from where I live and Today I got a day off from work.
— That's the spirit! Give your best!
— Excuse me, and how about you guys from his school-
[children laughing]
— G-Give your best, too!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

bogdanblue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bogdanblue » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:41 pm

Yes it is. It starts at about 15:00

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:02 pm

No, the line “And now we are going to transfer to our reporter!” starts at about 15:00. It's the voice of the anchorman, not the Shinji.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:53 pm

Lol, I just noticed it, Gainax didn't even bother adding that part to the ADV dub that time(probably it had something to do with the budget issue). So at first I was thinking that I might've damaged my ears so bad that I couldn't hear that specific frequency but still the subs were showing those vocals. Anyway, it does get started at 15:00 and that's simply some morning news on tv or radio Gendo and Yui left on. And Joel, I see you basically pasted the sub here. ;)

On a second note, actually bogdanblue is right. In ADV dub, instead of the news part, you can hear Asuka and Shinji yelling at each other. I'll try making something out of it when I'll get time and if anybody else fails to do so.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:00 am

I thought he was referring to Japanese audio, as I saw the image with a caption, I didn't imagine it would be a dubbed version. There really is no voice for Shinji and Asuka in the background in the original version, just Maya as reporter.

By the way, I ca't help in this case, for obvious reasons.
Just a curiosity: in the ADV dub, was Maya removed?

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:28 am

It's not only Maya's dialogue removed in the dub, but the whole news thing in general. I mean, the Japanese one has the news thing in the background while nothing from Shinji or Asuka's side and in dub, the exact opposite. There's no news telecast or nothing of that sort. Instead it's Asuka and Shinji's dispute....over Shinji's penis apparently.
Asuka: Oh gosh ___. I see his pants go off!

Shinji: Get off it!

Asuka: Oh god, look at this ___. *screams*

Shinji: It's generally intentioned.

Shinji:Hey, it's a guy thing.

Asuka: Was it always that small?

Shinji: Just get out of my way, would ya?

The first gap is a word that sounds like twenty or something like that(which doesn't make sense). It does starts with "T", that I'm sure of. The second gap starts with "M" and it sound like mei. These two could be German words or maybe even english but it's unintelligible at this point because of the overlap. The 3rd and 4th sentence(italicized) of the dialogue are spoken almost at the same time as in Shinji starts speaking just after Asuka utters god.

I can see why the dub is so far from being a great one. The quality of the transcript is lousy enough to overlook the voice acting problems people talk about, being the problematic child in the first place rather than, again, the voice acting, which I don't mind that much.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:43 am

^
It's indeed an embarrassing dialogue. It's a pity that they removed whole the news thing, it is interesting to know that in this reality Maya is a journalist/reporter.
Thank you!

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:33 pm

Heh! I have JUST added this conversation to the dialogue thread (in Chit-Chat) and then noticed this thread! (I figured it out, so I removed it from my thread).

Yes! In the ADV version, their argument was glorious!
Here it is:

Asuka: "You stupid pervert, I didn't mean for you to get that up!
Shinji: "I can't help it, it's morning! I... I've gotta take a wizz or somethin.."
Asuka: "Eww! Don't point it at me! It might - go off!"
Shinji: "I can't help it!"
Asuka: "Oh God! Look at that vein!" Aghh!"
Shinji: "My general's at attention! Hey! It's a guy thing!"
Asuka: "Is it always that small?!"
Shinji: "Just get out of my way, would ya?!"

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”