Kaworu Nagisa 3.33. Does he want to be timeless?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Javi2541997
Adam

Kaworu Nagisa 3.33. Does he want to be timeless?

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:17 am

Hello there again!

I want to ask/debate with you one specific scene in 3.33 NTE. We all already know how Kaworu Nagisa has a lot of minute scene during this film. I guess it is literally a good timeskip between Shinji and him that many fans asked about.

But one of the secens that give a lot of doubts is the following one: when Kaworu is with Shinji in the EVA 13, he stars to feel so "disappointed" because he realizes that he is the "beginning" (first angel) and the "end" (last angel). So in the way he tries to explains to Shinji what is about changes, look forward, time, etc... Looks like he never expected that "everything" (speaking about time) depends by him. When he shows to Shinji how is everything went after the third impact he acts like nothing if 14 were never passed to him. So in the dialogues and the context looks like one of the advantages of Kaworu is being "timeless" beacuse for him it doesn't matter at all the process of "time" and "life" as humans understand.

Nevertheless he realizes that when they are about to pick up the two lances there is actually a "path" of kaworu life. Beginning-meeting Shinji-End. But he never thought about that when he shout out "I never imagined I would be the beginning and end"

PD: probably this sounds so stupid (lol) but idk is a doubt I want to share with you all.

PD 2: despite you already warned me not to connect NTE with NGE. It remembers me the episode 25 when Kaworu says to Shinji he doesn't care about life and death because for him is the "same"
Shi ni Itaru Yamai, Soshite

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Kaworu Nagisa 3.33. Does he want to be timeless?

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:44 am

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean. Could you please clarify?

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:55 am

Yes sure!

I mean that I feel that he is afraid of being "temporary". While clearly all the rest of the characters show uncertainty about future, what happens in the past etc... Kaworu, when he speaks with Shinji in the Piano, he explains to him why humans suffer and painful emotions. Looking like he is above of all human "thoughts"
Nevertheless, when he realised that he is the 1 and 13 angel it looks like he is disappointed no to be an angel itself but for being the "end". So it looks like (In my humble opinion) that he wanted to be timeless or probably some "human" things like time didn't affect him. So in this rule, he will be affected emotionally by the "human" instrumentally programme despite in the beginning he didn't thought about that.

I know I sound pretty abstract/nihilism here lol.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:07 am

Do you mean that Kaworu doesn't feel the time go by, for him 14 years was a “blink of an eye” and that he is “afraid” of death and would like to be eternal to help Shinji?

I'm also having a trouble to get it what you indeed mean.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:18 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Do you mean that Kaworu doesn't feel the time go by, for him 14 years was a “blink of an eye” and that he is “afraid” of death and would like to be eternal to help Shinji?

Yeah! I mean exactly this. The pass of time in Kaworu's perspective and also be "eternal" or timeless

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:07 pm

I confess that I don't have a deeper knowledge about; it's a difficult question.

I think Kaworu does have a sense of time, maybe he doesn't mind about. He says he was waiting for Shinji, after Asuka retrieved the Teseract with EVA-01 from the space. For me, it's a perception of time.

Angels have the Fruit of Life, which guarantees them immortality and infinite power, however in NTE it still unclear whether it's exactly the same principle as NGE. Perhaps that is why he dosn't matter much with the passage of time and death :shrug:

Kaworu's goals and his lines are mysterious, almost coded (lol), so it's pretty hard to know what he really means by all that.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Kaworu's goals and his lines are mysterious, almost coded (lol), so it's pretty hard to know what he really means by all that.

Agree lol. Kaworu is the most mysterious character in Evangelion. I feel like he is speaking every time with codes or philosophy. It is hard to understand him but also is interesting debate and speak about his quotes, personality, thoughts, etc...
Also I even think that somehow he is "above" everything related to EVA. I mean if we draw a pyramid about EVA importance or storyline I will put him above because I feel he is always been/never been there. It is a rare feeling.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Ah, about Kaworu's lines, there's a thread: “Theory about Kaworu's intentions”.
On the Wiki, there's a condensed version: “Theory and Analysis: Kaworu in Eva 3.0”.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm

These forums are not at all kind to the UwU angel.

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:55 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Ah, about Kaworu's lines, there's a thread: “Theory about Kaworu's intentions”.
On the Wiki, there's a condensed version: “Theory and Analysis: Kaworu in Eva 3.0”.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to check it out.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”