Commentary: Episode 08 (Open to EVERYONE for comments)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderator: Board Staff

Javi2541997
Adam

Re: Commentary: Episode 08 (Open to EVERYONE for comments)

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:57 am

12: You can see the sun reflected in the mirror. This is the Asuka's episode. Probably the first reference about her.

18: She is here. The three pilot. One of our heroes. Another reference to the sun. Even she is in the shadow waiting in the ship but anyways we all already know is Asuka.

24: The only kid who really enjoys the scene is Kensuke. I wonder why he never got a chance in an EVA.

34: Defiant look. So natural status from Asuka.

44: Misato looks like in the ID photo that she doesn't care at all but she is actually a good competent commander.

72: Everyone went exaggerated except Shinji. Probably because he already knows how really Misato is in her private life

79: She is always showing off something. This time is making physical exercise in the bars while speaking with Kaji.

84: First time Asuka challenges Shinji. A classic about her. We will see this during the anime a lot! I guess she believes in him since the beginning.

90: Here inthe hispanic countries we made a meme about this scene called "feliz jueves" happy thursday.

98: Chaaaance of showing off again and get recognition from everybody.

118: Despite she is ready to fight she looks like a little bit scared.

137: The only scene we ever seen Shinji with the red suit.

152: Misato clearly believes on Asuka and her potential. She cheers Asuka got into the EVA 02 and fight against the angel.

257: That defiant look of Misato with she makes an importante decision. We will look it more often along the anime.

310: Classic scene of "I am Asuka. Pleased nice to meet you!" So cute but this is exactly the same scene which appears when Asuka is confronting
her past and inner feelings with Arael at episode 22.
Shi ni Itaru Yamai, Soshite

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:31 am

Comments added. Keep them rolling, folks!
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:30 pm

021 I don't fully get this love Mr. Anno has for colliding American and Russian tech, but he had been doing it for a while by this point. Royal Space Force features a rocket that's a clear mishmash of a Soyuz and a Saturn V.

215 Given the "widowmaker" notoriety of the Yak-38 and that its engines suffered in the hot, humid environment of the ocean (and we know it's hot because, Endless Summer and all), I would think Kaji would be safer riding the bow of one of the ships with a sign saying "bite me".

270 Actually, the upright issue aside, I don't think any of that is a given. Not in the time frame the episode presents anyway. When it comes to the turrets the Iowa-class had clips which could have kept the turrets inside their rings. There are cases of older American battleships designs having done so at Pearl Harbor.

Now would they have fired? Most likely not. Even if they had, the velocity would have been so low I think we would have been waiting for the proximity fuses to go off.

289 If he is making that homage, then part of irony I see is that these ships are of the same class as the Missouri-- the ship upon which Japan's treaty of surrender was signed. Mr. Anno isn't exactly the most gracious about WWII; as his "There was another war; we took Hawaii" in Gunbuster demonstrates. Still, if he was able to put that aside to give these proud girls a warrior's due my hat's off to him.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:21 am

Folks, this is still open. Your comments are being added promptly. Feel free to comment, commentate even!
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

silvermoonlight
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:39 pm

018 I've always loved this shot in how the camera pans around Asuka though you never see her face. I love the use of sunbeams floating down as it symbolizes a divine presence which Asuka grows to be which is a force of nature in the early episodes.

039 I remember watching this and cracking up with laugher at Toji saying. "Its overpriced here's your change." Though this clearly ends really badly for him it's an interesting character moment in that Asuka has no time for anyone's crap even if she's not being so great herself in her attitude. It also hints that there is a violent undercurrent which is not controlled and dangerous as her mental state is very off kilter, but it's very well hidden from the viewer who might read this on first viewing as ego and unkindness.

EDIT:

073 I genuinely miss the theme that older anime and manga had with the exaggerated faces as to me it really helped humanized the character, I hope one day they will go back to this as I think it's a brilliant way to show intense emotion while still being hilarious. Plus the greatest strength of NGE was how it could balance its humour and serious tone flipping it like a switch on and off when ever needed.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

ASW_Canuck
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ASW_Canuck » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:32 am

119 Not a California-class nuclear cruiser, since she's got the funnels for a conventional power plant. The superstructure aft of the bridge has the Albany-class cruiser's distinctive dual funnel+mast design, but the bow could be off of an early Spruance-class destroyer with the Mk-112 ASROC launcher in front of the bridge.

203 Anno's used a lot of creative license with the water depth, because melting all of the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps would only increase ocean depth by ~70 m, not the hundreds of meters shown here. Would be rather anticlimactic for them to go overboard, panic about not having the B-type equipment for aquatic operation, and then realize that the water only comes up to Eva-02's chin.

ASW_Canuck
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ASW_Canuck » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:53 pm

119 Not a California-class nuclear cruiser, since she's got the funnels for a conventional power plant. The superstructure aft of the bridge has the Albany-class cruiser's distinctive dual funnel+mast design, but the bow could be off of an early Spruance-class destroyer with the Mk-112 ASROC launcher in front of the bridge.

EDIT: She's one of the JMSDF's Tachikaze-class guided missile destroyers, reference photo here.

203 Anno's used a lot of creative license with the water depth, because melting all of the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps would only increase ocean depth by ~70 m, not the hundreds of meters shown here. Would be rather anticlimactic for them to go overboard, panic about not having the B-type equipment for aquatic operation, and then realize that the water only comes up to Eva-02's chin.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:21 pm

My mistake with the Tachikaze as well. Derp! I'm editing your comment in, thank you so much for your help!

And OOC - do you have trouble editing your previous post? I've been trying to fix the edit permissions for the forum lately. (Reply to this via PM, just to keep the commentary thread clean)

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”