Commentary: Episode 08 (Comments Closed)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Commentary: Episode 08 (Comments Closed)

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:45 am

(After a hiatus of several years, the commentary project is slowly unfreezing itself from the Antarctic ice, and is asking for a few more volunteers to get things going.)

EvaGeeks is pleased to announce that Epsiode 08 is now open for your comments.

Link:
https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_08

Post your comments in this thread.

Please index your comments by the Cut number, or we won't know where to put them.

For reference, please take a look at the Episode 07 commentary thread. Feel free to comment, it's open to all regardless of whether you're brand new to the site and to Evangelion, or an old stalwart from 15 years ago.

EDIT: Comments closing by July 4. Forgot to include this in the title.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Commentary: Episode 08

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:19 pm

Hopefully I didn't mess up the cuts when doublechecking, and they're obvious where they go :sweatdrop:

014: Fellow Initial D fans should recognize our Over the Rainbow captain (seiyuu Tomomichi Nishimura) as Yuuichi Tachibana, Bunta's friend/the gas station owner!

039: I never realized, either!

076: Asuka immediately refusing to lose to wanko-kun....

098: Oof. The scene becomes one of many that are downright painful, come Director's Cut 22'.

130: Real subtle, Asuka.

135: Animation-wise, I've always appreciated the nice detail of Kaji growing serious.

141: Wasn't this a Junichi Sato* episode (under "Kiichi Hadame" for his Eva storyboard work), too? Or was that mainly 9? The fun animation feels like his style. *Of Sailormoon fame. Also Aria, Princess Tutu, and many others.

239: This episode is seriously just too fun, despite the underlying character drama surrounding Adam.

273: All my (battle) ships are sailing!

298: Love how they repeat this joke in Episode 9 :D

314: Isn't there some issue where the date on the chalkboard is incorrect, considering the next episode?

30 second preview, 04: I don't know why, but I love the phrasing.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:36 am

^
076: This bit also had a closeup zoom on Asuka's displeased face, which I think really highlights her envy and possibly foreshadows there is worse to come.

031: Misato's remark about Asuka's height hints that they may have known each other at some earlier point. This may have been when Asuka was a major contender for being an Eva pilot and Misato oversaw some of her initial induction/training.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:16 pm

-Edit- sorry in advance for the too many emojis. Tell me if you want me to edit this, and I will!-

001 : Bruh, Gendo you'r such a sinister boy :scared:

005-007 : This whole sequence feel so good everytime I watch it! I mean it's so good to see them out of their usual town, taking a apparently carefree airplane trip~~ This whole episode felt heartfelt for the introduction of such a tragic character, honestly.

018 : Her figure is framed so over the top threateningly for a indeed, really fierce head, but frail and childish (I'm not saying it in the bad way you think.) character... The last time I saw this "shadow framing menacingly unknow character" was in animes of 90 "for kids" like Pokemon or Cardcaptor Sakura :doh: Why Anno, why?

029 : Unecessary mean, Asuka. I'm not saying Toji is justified in what he do next, but it's not wonder that's people will attack you if you provoke them first like kids at playgrounds :shrug:

032 : *Sigh*....Give him his hat back already, Asuka! :facepalm:

Title1 : Ok I know this will seem contradictory with my previous complains, but the punch noise emphasised by a callback title to it "Asuka Strike! Asuka arrive to Japan!" is so hilarious -o-;

040 : Lmao Shinji facepalm face ! This whole sequence, even Toji stupidity is hilarious, honestly :lol: ! Did you know I actually used this "Shinji facepalm" face as a profil pic for facebook dating :wink: ? Yeah...

053 : Duh Misato, you'r face is so attractive, here :smirk: *sarcasm* Got Nadia feel from these two guys and this boat, indeed...

058 : Poor Misato has her daily bowl full of humilations and cartoonish faces, here :nyao:

065 : Cartoonish hilarity continue to ensue in the elevator....

071: Kaji is such a charmer :crush: Your Kaworu is showing, Kaji!

079: Oooh beware Asuka to not fall of the railling :hide:

080 : ...And "No way!" to how this poor railling can support your such huge ego, Asuka :)

086 : Why do Asuka remind me so much of Misty -pokemon-? She always did, but particulary in this caption and I dunno why (:|

087 : Such an interesting shot. Too bad they cut it.

089 : Seriously Asuka stop going on such huges platform! She will seriously hurt herself at some point if she continue this dangerous habit! Oh, wait...It already happened *Pride before a Fall tv trope page flashback appear*

098 : This smile of her is...Scary.

114: Why do Asuka change in such a open public place? Don't they have just a small bathroom in which she cand do it?

124: This Asuka pointing finger moment, many memes will be born because of it. Thank you eva :thumbsup:

180 : I still have a hard time to believe this is a angel...Look like a random huge whale fish to me...Too bad :shrug: He don't have this mystic and ominous feeling that's his brothers did/do have.

187 : ...But, observing it better, it really is a huge, and beautiful fish..Love his colors schemes.

203: So there is a city engulfed in the deep seas :cringe: ? Is it because of Second Impact, right? Incredible :w00t: !

229 : Beautiful and frightening mouth at the same time. I understand Asuka repulsion. Who wouldn't be repulsed? So...This angel wanted to eat them, I guess?...

303-306 : Boohoo! What are you guys are ploting smiling sinisterly like this, I wonder :chuckles:

And to finish, I like pretty much this last scene with the poors guys and Asuka smiling flamboyantly at her poor targets :D

Aaaah *huge sigh of relief* my Eva homework is finished, now ! I can now relax myself~~~~ See ya in the next episode commentary project...If I want to.
Ban me forever.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:26 pm

The emojis won't display in the wiki, so if you're alright with the text alone being used, it's fine.

By the way, the next commentary project is Episode 19, so you might want to stick around for that!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:08 pm

I'm alright with it. Heh, cool. I dunno what the episode talk about. Might watch it before the commentary stuff.
Ban me forever.

Hikikoboshi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hikikoboshi » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 pm

Excellent!

Good thing that they never followed through with the "German accent" script direction. Considering how iconic Yuko Miyamura's portrayal of Asuka is, it's hard to imagine her emote with nearly as much of an impact if she had to bother with putting on an accent at the same time.

By the way, the Latin American dubs (three in total: Locomotion, Animax and Netflix) kept a different accent for Asuka throughout the whole series, including the “serious” scenes. It sounds rather absurd at first, but you get used to it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:06 pm

001 -- driving it home that Gendo has an agenda that goes beyond merely clearing up the monster of the week menace

034 -- we have the "beach"/onsen episode still to come, but is this the nearest we get to panchira by way of :misato_service: in the whole series?

044 -- biometric IDs were so primitive back then. Nowadays anime girls get under-bust and breast mass values in their profiles as well

065 -- this whole scene really -- Shinji clearly has only pure thoughts regarding Misato, though familiarity with her slatternly habits may be to blame here.

090 -- as in cut 018, and 083 Asuka is on the high ground, placing herself above the unknown quantity of the Third Child

150 -- Misato, fire the Chekov Gun!

166 -- contrast with Shinji back in cut 065...

201 -- from mid-ocean, we're suddenly very close to land (even if nothing shows on the horizon here)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:55 pm

I'm letting you know that since there are no emojis on the EvaWiki (unless I just somehow don't know about them), your comment for cut 034 has been changed and the Misato emoji has been replaced with a simple "service, service!". Similarly, the small text in your cut 044 comment is significantly larger than its counterpart here in EGF. Since I'm new to the editing business, it's possible I might have made a mistake, so, please, anyone, tell me if that's so.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:46 pm

You did fine, just remember to add links to any cuts mentioned the next time (For example, Cut 166: "Contrast with Shinji back in cut 065" - just add a link to cut 065 for ease of reference). Substituting text like "service, service!" is a perfectly acceptable alternative in context, and I've added a few text substitutes for Line's emojis where I found them applicable.

It would help if everyone specified an emotion in text - like *shifty eyes* or *shrug* or *glares evilly*, because that removes any guesswork from whether or not we should substitute text for an emoji or ignore it.

View Original PostHikikoboshi wrote:By the way, the Latin American dubs (three in total: Locomotion, Animax and Netflix) kept a different accent for Asuka throughout the whole series, including the “serious” scenes. It sounds rather absurd at first, but you get used to it.

Please specify a cut number the next time, even if it's in a reply. Otherwise it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to find the cut you're replying to and it is liable to be overlooked.

We've added all the comments made so far. Keep them rolling in, folks!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:05 am

*deep inhale* okay let's get started on this badboy
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 am

UrsusArctos wrote:
just remember to add links to any cuts mentioned the next time
Oh, man, sorry! Will do from now on!

Kendrix: I'm looking forward to your comments...

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:37 pm

002: Um... Sasebo is in Japan; is it just traveling along the coast?

011: It's an entertainment thing; sort of the same principle as when they show the asteroid belt so densely packed that you could almost hop from one to another, when the average distance between asteroids is actually about 100,000 miles.

(More later)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:011: It's an entertainment thing; sort of the same principle as when they show the asteroid belt so densely packed that you could almost hop from one to another, when the average distance between asteroids is actually about 100,000 miles.

When it comes to naval nerd matters, I'm afraid you'll wear yourself quoting the MST3K mantra at me. -o-;

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 pm

041: my first impression of those two was that they were gonna end up in a "will-they-won't-they?" kinda thing.

080: the first real confrontation Asuka had with the idea that being an Eva pilot was something truly special that set her apart, instead of the Freudian nightmare it really was. To Asuka, it is not that Shinji (and later, by extent, Rei) are as good as her: it means she is a "bad" as the other two.

134: never really understood what Gendo meant by "a spare pilot". I mean, I know he means Shinji, but what was the contingency he was planning for? Asuka being unavaliable? Eva 02's core would've rejected Shinji, right?
Also, it implies that Misato was ordered to take Shinji along, instead of the "date" she said had planned.

136: I always wondered just how did Asuka activated the Entry Plug ejection, opening and re-insertion. Chapter 11 states that they needed diesel generators for doing so at Nerv (somewhat implying that the Eva's internal battery could not do so).

204: compared to Nerv's operative budget, those sunken planes were pocket change...

221: Oh Kensuke... Maybe you'd have memory left in your camera if you hadn't recorded the frikkin' elevator!

224: I mean... Why couldn't it move? Water pressure? And why can it suddenly force the jaw open like nobody's business later on?

293: thank goodness Eva 02, incapable of moving in water, managed to be blasted out of the sea to land exactly on the ship's deck!

314: waiting for chapter 22, when we'll see this scene revisited again and again and again and again and again...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Commentary: Episode 08 (Open to EVERYONE for comments)

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:49 pm

090: I'm surprised she didn't suddenly realize that he could see up her skirt, and jump down and slap him.
123: Arrrgh!!! That's painful just looking at it.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:46 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:possible emoji replacements w/o just directly linking the images by URL from the forum. Your milage -- and font -- may vary

Thanks, Tines. Let me bring this up in the commentary subforum as a possible substitute and see what other editors think of it.

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Sorry guys :tongue: Didn't wanted to trouble you so much with my huge basket of emojis haha!
Ban me forever.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 am

This is still open for comments, folks - feel free to go ahead and point out anything you want, no matter how trivial it may seem!

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”