The One That Gets You

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

GunmetalSnail429
Embryo

The One That Gets You

•      
  •      

Postby GunmetalSnail429 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:07 pm

So I found a better title for a story I've been working on and finally finished the first chapter and published it. Here it is for whoever might be interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13788956/1/The-One-That-Gets-You

I'm still working on it, but I don't have a specific time table in mind.
God's in his Heaven because He's scared of our superior firepower...-Yui Ikari

GunmetalSnail429
Embryo

Re: The One That Gets You

•      
  •      

Postby GunmetalSnail429 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:33 pm

Here's what I have of the second chapter so far. I've got quite a ways to go before it's ready to put up, but I wanted to share it here if anyone is interested.

The trip passed by both peacefully and quickly, much to Kaji’s satisfaction. The kids managed to keep themselves entertained, both the teenagers and the grade-schooler. The only mark against the relative peace was an argument between Shinji, Toji and Kensuke over an anime series they all watched. They could not, or more precisely would not, come to an agreement over which of the main female characters was the best. Kensuke liked the strange, quiet girl who, seemingly unbeknownst to her, happened to be the lynchpin in some madman’s plan for the complete and total destruction of human civilization.

Toji, on the other hand, liked the spunky, intelligent girl who helped keep one of the hot-headed mecha pilots under control through her calming influence. And of course, the fact that she was desperately in love with said mecha pilot in no way played a part in his decision.

And then there was Shinji, whose dedication to the fiery, foreign girl who was always giving her co-pilot a hard time about, well, everything, was resolute and unyielding. They bickered back and forth, each of them listing at least a dozen reasons why “their” girl was the best. Anything was fair game, their personality, their looks, their combat prowess, their intelligence, even their hair color. Any defense they could muster up was swiftly brought to the frontlines and deployed without a second thought.

“I’m telling you guys, give me a girl with weird colored hair any day,” Kensuke said as he leaned back in his seat, his arms crossed, “The stranger, the better.”

Toji and Shinji looked at each other and then back at him.

“You’re crazy. No one’s hair is naturally blue, Kensuke!” Shinji moaned, pinching the bridge of his nose, “It’s too unrealistic!”

Toji nodded.

“I agree wit’ Shinji. It takes me outta… Oh, what’s it called….” He squinted in concentration, “Oh yeah! It ruins my suspension of disbelief when some character has a weird hair color.”

There was silence. Asuka and Hikari, who up until this point had managed to not pay too much attention to the boys, looked up and turned to stare at Toji. They were joined by Shinji and Kensuke, as well as Misato and a short glance by Kaji through the rearview mirror.

“What?”

“…”

“Nothing, Toji.”

The boy blinked and looked around.

“I don….”

“Anyways, you guys have it all wrong,” Shinji interrupted, “It’s not about the hair color, it’s about how she treats the people around her.”

Kensuke snorted.

“Okay, but your girl treats her co-pilot like shit.”

“Language, Kensuke,” Kaji and Misato said from the front seat.

“Sorry. She treats her co-pilot like crap and is generally just the worst.”

Shinji shook his head.

“She treats him like crap because she’s in love with him, but she doesn’t know how to show it. She grew up without other kids her age so she never learned how to properly show emotion! And it’s obvious he loves her back, but he’s just as awkward as she is, just in a different way.”

They continued like this for some time, the other passengers becoming steadily more annoyed as the miles rolled by outside the van. Asuka and Hikari did their best to ignore as much of the nonsense as they could, but every time Toji or Shinji listed another reason why he liked his girl the most, their ears automatically perked up. They pretended to be busy playing a game on their phones but couldn’t help keeping tabs. They shared a look of exasperation, though whether it was due to the boy’s constant bickering, or something else entirely, they weren’t sure.

Kensuke leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms. He was losing. Badly. The other two boys were as relentless in their defense of their chosen girl as they were merciless in their criticism of Kensuke’s. He huffed and looked out the window, Toji and Shinji turning on each other for a moment. He needed a way to, if not win, then at least derail the conversation so much that it would become irrecoverable.

He glanced around the van, hoping against hope that he would see something he could use. Kensuke wasn’t an idiot. He knew how to read a room, how to pick up on non-verbal social cues, even if his friends didn’t. His eyes settled first on Asuka before flitting over to Hikari. They looked beautiful, as always. But, something was different. Something in their eyes, their postures. He had rarely seen them looking this… Deflated. They kept glancing at… Something. Kensuke managed to follow both girl’s eyelines and traced them directly to...

His eyes widened, a devious grin forming on his lips.

“Oh. So that’s it.”

“Hey Toji, Shinji…” He spoke up, his two friends quieting as they turned to him, “You keep stepping all over me because I like my girl’s hairstyle and color. Remind me again what kind of hair your girls have? Style and color wise, I mean.”

The two boys stopped, glanced at each other, and looked back at Kensuke.

“Why does tha…”

“It’s just a question. I haven’t paid much attention to them as the show has gone on. I’ve had other, better girls to ogle.”

Toji spoke first.
“She has dark brown hair that she keeps in pigtails.”

Kensuke nodded to Shinji.

“She has bright red hair that she keeps pulled back with a couple of red hair clips.”

Kensuke glanced past Shinji and saw exactly what he was hoping for. Asuka and Hikari both reached up at the same time and unconsciously touched their hair before glaring from the corners of their eyes at the two boys behind them.

“Hmmm. That’s interesting,” Kensuke’s voice dropped to a whisper as he leaned forward, motioning Toji and Shinji to do the same, “Now, who else do we know that has hair like that?”

Toji and Shinji furrowed their brows for a moment before Kensuke motioned behind them with his eyes. They turned to the seat in front of them, but they didn’t understand what their friend was trying to get across. The only things in front of them were Asuka and Hikari….

Kensuke suppressed a laugh as he watched Toji and Shinji both freeze simultaneously, their bodies stiffening. They slowly turned their heads back to him and gave him a glare that could melt steel.

Kensuke only smiled.

“You…” Shinji began, before Kaji cut him off from the driver’s seat.

“Alright, here’s our exit. After this it’s only about ten minutes to the park so start getting your things together.”

The occupants complied, packing away books and snacks. Toji and Shinji went about it in almost complete silence, occasionally making eye contact with Kensuke, even if only to glare at him. He took it all in stride as they steadily approached the entrance to the park.

Kaji rolled into the main entrance gate and showed the guard the hotel reservation printout. She looked at it and relayed some directions to the man, pointing and motioning with her hands. He thanked her and pointed the van in the general direction she had indicated. After passing several turnoffs onto side roads that lead deeper into the park, he finally found the one he was looking for. The road was almost completely covered by overhanging trees, so much so that even in the early afternoon light Kaji had to turn the van’s headlights.

The trees eventually opened up as they arrived at their hotel, one of almost two dozen spread across the sprawling resort complex. He pulled the van up to the main entrance and killed the ignition. The van had barely stopped when Toji threw open the side door and practically jumped out. Kaji climbed from the driver’s seat and headed into the hotel to check in.

“Oh yeah. That’s better,” Toji groaned as he stretched his arms over his head as far as they would go, “My everything was starting to go to sleep.”
Hikari climbed out next, shielding her eyes against the sun. Asuka followed, Sakura holding on to the redhead’s shirt for balance as she jumped from the seat. Shinji and Kensuke were last, Kensuke emerging from the van with his camera plastered to his face.

“Wow. This place is beautiful,” Hikari said with genuine awe, “I can’t believe your parents paid for us to stay here, Shinji.”

The boy scratched the back of his head and grinned sheepishly.

“Well, technically the lab is paying for this, but yeah…”

“Speaking of your parents, weren’t they supposed to meet us here?” Asuka spoke up, looking around at the various guests also arriving, “I don’t see them.”
Shinji glanced over the crowd before shrugging.

“No idea. Maybe they forgot?”

“You parents never forget anything, Shinji,” Hikari replied as she reached into the back of the van and started pulling out bags, “They must be busy with something.”

Misato stepped over with her phone out and pointed at the screen.

“Yep. They just messaged me and Kaji and said they got held up in a meeting, so they want us to get checked in and they’ll catch up.”

Shinji shrugged again.

“See, no problem.”

He joined Hikari at the back of the van and started pulling out bags and suitcases and setting them on the pavement. He grunted when he grabbed both (both?) of Toji’s duffel bags and setting them on the luggage cart he had procured from somewhere. Asuka was busily dragging her own suitcase out, struggling more than she would like to admit. Like Toji, she also believed in the philosophy of “pack way, way more than you need” and her luggage showed it. The hard red plastic cover of her suitcase bulged out in several directions, the zippers doing an admirable job of containing the abundance within.

Misato looked up at Asuka struggling and was about to say something to Shinji when he made that unnecessary. He threw his duffel over his shoulder and walked over to the girl. He maneuvered his hands under the suitcase and nodded to Asuka. She gave one final pull as Shinji lifted the main bulk of the case. It slid out easily, Shinji stopping it from falling to the ground as he set it on its wheels. Asuka looked up at him and smiled.

Misato grinned.

Good boy.
“Thank you, Shinji,” she spoke with no small amount of gratefulness, “I think I can handle it from here.”

Shinji shook his head as he pulled the suitcase to his side.

“Nope, I got it.”

Asuka looked at him.

“Shinji, you don’t have to carry my luggage.”

“I know, but I… I uh…” he swallowed before continuing, “I want to. Also…”

He leaned in closer, his face suddenly only a few inches from Asuka’s face. Her breath caught for a single heartbeat. If Shinji noticed, he didn’t say anything.

“Also, Misato is watching, and if I didn’t offer, I think she would smack me.”

Asuka smiled, her cheeks beginning to burn.

Damnit, Asuka. You can’t turn beet red every time he says anything to you. Get it together.

GunmetalSnail429
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GunmetalSnail429 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 pm

Updated the story with Chapter 3 the other day.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13788956/3/The-One-That-Gets-You

Hope you enjoy!

GunmetalSnail429
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GunmetalSnail429 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:51 pm

Updated with a new chapter 3, as well as some new stuff added to the other chapters. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13788956/3/The-One-That-Gets-You

AJS
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AJS » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:16 pm

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13788956/1/The-One-That-Gets-You
Are there any current plans to update this? I really, really want to know what happens and how it ends

Return to “Fanfiction”