The Evageeks Writing Challenges: Discussion & Feedback

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

The Evageeks Writing Challenges: Discussion & Feedback

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:35 am

The place to discuss everything involving the writing challenges. Got questions or feedback - please post it in here!

Current Challenge:
The Holiday Writing Challenges Part 4: Happy Birthday, Shinji!

Archive of Challenges
The Holiday Writing Challenges Part 1: AsuShin New Year!
The Holiday Writing Challenges Part 2: Angel Attack!
The Holiday Writing Challenges Part 3: Valentine's Variations!
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: The Evageeks Writing Challenges: Discussion & Feedback

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Well, this is a fun idea & a cool way to keep things active~
Will these become a regular thing?
I shall endeavor to participate in all subsequent prompts that don't happen to contain the words "AsuShin" or "AsuRei" :devil:
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:20 pm

It was our hope for it to be pretty regular throughout the year. Might be fun to open up other prompts to "pairing of your choice" if it means more writer participation.

Part of it is adding constraints to what you can write, because writing with limitations we normally wouldn't have helps us expand that skill, but we want it to be fun too. It's really up to Dera at the end of the day.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Yeah, what Glor said! I guess AsuShin came up because it is a pairing everybody has an opinion on - and keep in mind, there's nothing stipulating what kind of relationship they share. So, it does not have to be happy or pretty, if that's not to your tastes - write a breakup story, then! Lots of things happen on new years eve - let your imagination fly!

Writing for a pairing you don't normally like is part of the challenge - brings you out of your comfort zone, gets those creative juices flowing. I don't know if every challenge will feature a pairing or not - could simply be scenes without character limitations (400 words of a character of your choosing thinking about a specific Angel attack), or a crack pairing like ... Maya & Kensuke having a romnatic dinner. :tongue: There are a lot of possibilities to keep this interesting, but limiting the scope and topic will remain part of the challenge.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:57 pm

PenPenSakura, your story reminded me of that picture of neko Asuka and dog Shinji. Cute.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:59 pm

I just want to say I think this is an awesome idea ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

PenPenSakura
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PenPenSakura » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:07 pm

OMG what a coincidence. I saw that picture years ago and didn't recall it while writing.
(Mari calling Shinji wanko-kun cemented him as the dog and Asuka being the cat is too natural)
~\(≧▽≦)/~
Thanks for reading my first ever fic!
The finished version is nothing like what I first planed LOL.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:25 pm

View Original PostPenPenSakura wrote:The finished version is nothing like what I first planed LOL.

Our stories rarely are, haha. Challenges like these are fun too. The prompts and word limits really make you consider your word choices and sentence structure in a different way.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:53 pm

Double post, please no kill.

I wrote three stories earlier today for the challenge, but missed the crux of the prompt: which was to set it during New Year's Eve. I'm not going to save them for another challenge, since I want to write something fresh each time, so I'll share them here.

Rocky: word count 399  SPOILER: Show
Shinji heard the crash more than he saw it. Horns blared and metal crunched. Smoke spilled from a van’s caved engine block, pieces of it spiraling down the road. One piece, perhaps the size of a softball, rolled into his foot.

He picked it up, just a bit bigger than his palm, a dull yellow, and just a bit hairy. It reeked.

Minutes later, Shinji barged into his apartment. Asuka jumped.

“I found this,” he breathed, opening his jacket and producing the little ball, which unfolded to reveal tiny clawed feet and a tail.

A shriek. “What is that?!”

“I dunno! It’s hurt.”

Asuka came to his side while he set it on a towel. She leaned closer as it squirmed with pitiful squeals. A crack speared along the armored shell and a heartbroken sound escaped her.

They spent minutes fighting on their phones, taking pictures of it, searching. Armadillo, just a baby. What kind? Three-banded. How to help it? They flew through video after video. The thing was still squealing and squirming, but not with any strength. Asuka pet it and cooed quiet comforts.

It was the nearest to tears he had ever seen her.

Everything they read said it would survive, but needed time, rest, and food. Shinji bolted out of the apartment. When he returned with kitten formula and bottles, the armadillo was wrapped in a blanket and in Asuka’s arms. She was still whispering to it. Shinji made it a bottle and watched while she fed it.

Ans that was that.

Over the next few weeks, they researched further. Their armadillo was a boy (he checked), and they decided to name it Rocky.

Most days one of them would hold him as they went about their business in the apartment, taking turns waking up at night to feed him or take him into the freezing cold to dig in the yard and play. Nocturnal little beast.

Afternoons he laid on his back under the windows, warming his belly. As he got older, his claws got longer, and sometimes he scratched Asuka’s arms in his eagerness to be held, but she didn’t mind.

They fed him bowls of bait worms, meal worms, and grubs. Filled tubs with water for it to roll and splash in. Its snout wiggled with happy grunts.

“We have a good kid,” Asuka said, watching him and Rocky play.

“Yeah – wait, what?”

Proposal: word count 400  SPOILER: Show
They were lying naked in bed when Shinji turned to her and said, “hey, do you wanna’ get married?”

Asuka sucked on her cigarette, brow wrinkling. “What for?”

Shinji shrugged. “Why not?”

She blinked, cigarette hanging from her lip. The smell of sex spoiled the air and she’d been enjoying the fading tremors of their tangle, only for this ball of iron to crush her. “Christ,” she mumbled, rolling out of bed and tossing the bud.

It singed his abdomen. “Ah! Hey – Asuka!”

“Get your crap on.”

“Drop isn’t until forty-five,” he stumbled out of bed, the quarters so tight he ended up behind her. His hands settled on her arms. “Come on, Asuka–”

She shoved clothes against his chest, ignoring the discouraged hurt that crossed his face. Shinji sighed through his nose and they dressed in silence. Just the idea of forming words had her chest quivering, on edge, and aware of the spacecraft’s trembling beneath her feet. Damn him.

Once they were in a public state, the door streaked open at Shinji’s command. They marched side by side down the crew quarters corridor, making their way to the hangars.

“I was only joking, you know,” he said.

Her tongue clicked. “Don’t say that. Just makes it worse.”

Shinji sighed. “Alright.”

She shook her head and he slowed his pace to stay out of her periphery. By the time they made it to the aft hangar most of K Company was in battledress. Catcalls and whistles greeted them from across the deck. Shinji grinned and waved. Asuka kept walking.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Yes, you did.”

“Okay, so I did. Can we just forget about it?”

“Already have.”

They entered the Eva’s insertion hatch, slipping into plugsuits. A wave of indignation swallowed her.

“So what if we sleep together? Why the hell does that mean I have to marry you? I don’t owe you anything.”

“No, you don’t, I just thought…” he looked at hangar’s closed bulkheads. “The fleet isn’t big enough to stop the Watchers from torching the rest of the system.”

When she didn’t speak, he finished suiting-up. Soon they were sitting in the dual-seated plug – waiting for entry. Shame twisted her in a knot. She leaned over his chair, hands in his hair.

“Hey, you know… I think... maybe we should get married too.”

He turned. Neither smiled, but his eyes did.

Comfort Food: word count 400  SPOILER: Show
“A boy at school hurt my feelings and I’m really pissed off about it, alright?!” Asuka hurried down the hall, her door thwacking shut.

Shinji and Misato stared, left in the ache of what had seemed an innocent question about her day. His guardian grimaced. “Girls,” she said, taking a long draw of beer. “Very emotional.”

Shinji frowned. It wasn’t until late that night Asuka came out of her room, finding him playing video games. She sat when he offered her a controller. He’d kept her food on a hot plate too and she ate between games. Fat, chewy noodles stir fried with vegetables.

Still hungry, but without leftovers, Shinji decided he would make something else. Asuka joined him, with great caution, and well-practiced disinterest.

He pan-grilled salmon fillets until they were bronze, instructing her how to make the teriyaki sauce. It always tasted better by hand: soy, sake, mirin, and a dash of sugar. Then she grilled the asparagus on the stovetop next to his, asking if she was doing it right, how long to grill them, what they should look like when done.

They shared their meal at the table. Asuka tried to find wine when he told her whites paired best, but there was just beer and sake. The salmon was sweet with the tang of teriyaki, asparagus crunching.

The next day Asuka looked up recipes with him during lunch. They made wafu pasta seasoned with soy sauce and dashi broth that made their tastebuds feel full. And the next night, warm, pan-fried rice with ketchup and chicken wrapped in a soft, fluffy omelette. Dondori dishes, beaten egg and chicken cuts simmered in sweet dashi sauce that made his mouth water. Bowls with onion, sliced beef, and eggs tossed into a hot frying pan.

For that, they went through many eggs, because Asuka wanted to master cooking them over-easy without splitting the yoke. Poached suited him just fine.

They had baked tonkatsu, deep-fried to perfection, taking bites of tender, juicy pork chops encased in crispy panko. Dipped in their own sauce – garlic, ginger, sweet wine and brown sugar.

Every day, a new recipe, a new meal, a new challenge to tackle together. Dishes he never imagined he wanted to try, or cared to make. For Asuka, the more complex – the more beyond the scope of their imagination – the better.

For Shinji, the more she smiled, the better.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:35 am

Comments go here right? I liked Blockio's. Nice & simple yet with underlying feeling, makes one wonder about what alternate future is exactly going on there.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:22 am

Yeah! Also, nice to see so many people posting their stories. Still stuck with my own. I wanted to challenge myself extra hard and do something waffy, but it seems I can't. :bigeyes:

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:37 am

I guess the idea of these challenges is fun, but I really don’t like the prompt right now. The idea of Asushin has never been appealing to me. Because of that, I’ll be waiting until the next prompt. Hopefully it’s nothing ship-related.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:44 pm

I've had the same thought at first, but what is a ship story is a very loose term. Ultimately, all that it means here is that it has to focus on the two characters and what they feel about the other, whatever that means in the end.
I'm awful at writing proper romance, the whole reason why I went with what I did, there's a lot of power in subtlety and vague thoughts without going into fullon "oh they're so a thing" territory.

Kendrix wrote:Comments go here right? I liked Blockio's. Nice & simple yet with underlying feeling, makes one wonder about what alternate future is exactly going on there.

Why thank you! It's very loosely based off of the setting for the bigger fic I'm writing funny joke, hasn't gotten an update since August of 2019 that pretty much started as "what if 03 and 04 survived their activation tests" and spiraled from there
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:01 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Why thank you! It's very loosely based off of the setting for the bigger fic I'm writing funny joke, hasn't gotten an update since August of 2019 that pretty much started as "what if 03 and 04 survived their activation tests" and spiraled from there

That just immediately makes me think of Cowboy!Kensuke from the SIRP game's pathos route.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:13 pm

I really enjoyed your story Kendrix. Your description of the After Impact world reminded me of the H.P. Lovecraft short story "Dagon". I also liked that Asuka was never once mentioned by name, and we are given vague impressions of her through... how would you say? Shinji's emotional lens, I suppose.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:17 pm

I really liked the metaphor of to snakes biting each others tails. Those are the kind of things I wish I would think of. :tongue:

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:36 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:That just immediately makes me think of Cowboy!Kensuke from the SIRP game's pathos route.

I'm too unfamiliar with the various SIRP routes to really say anything meaningful to that :P
Well, apart from the fact that I did take Kensuke as 04's pilot from that game and Battle Orchestra.

Also yeah, your story does have some really cool ideas, definitely the one I enjoeyed reading the most out of all the submissions so far
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:24 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
Also yeah, your story does have some really cool ideas, definitely the one I enjoeyed reading the most out of all the submissions so far

View Original PostGlor wrote:I really enjoyed your story Kendrix. Your description of the After Impact world reminded me of the H.P. Lovecraft short story "Dagon". I also liked that Asuka was never once mentioned by name, and we are given vague impressions of her through... how would you say? Shinji's emotional lens, I suppose.

View Original PostDerantor wrote:I really liked the metaphor of to snakes biting each others tails. Those are the kind of things I wish I would think of. :tongue:

:rei_blush:

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I'm too unfamiliar with the various SIRP routes to really say anything meaningful to that :P

Someone put a walkthrough on youtube a while ago, it was kinda better than expected. There's one timeline that is kinda like the manga, a slightly tweaked retelling of the original story, but you can unlock two AU routes.

You basically need to get a certain stat up to get there & keep it up to stay there; In the earlier chapters, you're rewarded for collecting the points early with various silly fanservice moments like everyone going camping or running around in Bikinis... but then as you get to the third act it starts to be more of a serious AU.
Basically, you extract Touji alive & well
-> no 10 minute retirement
-> it's a coordinated 3 against one against Zeruel
-> EVA 01 doesn't go berserk
-> Zeruel's S2 engine goes not into EVA 01's tummy but to the science division
-> No freeze order on EVA 01, so you can safely push Asuka out of the mindrape beam before she gets all too fried
-> Now Asuka is actually helpful against Armisael, so Rei lives
-> Seeing that the timeline is away out of whack & fate not as fixed as he thought, Ksaworu comes clean & confesses all, especially informing everyone of SEELE's plans
-> Gendo more or less does the same & formed a truce with Misato
-> all this through some butterfly effect or another leads to a) Kaji eventually turning up again, having apparently fled successfully instead of gotten shot and b) Shamshel's S2 exploding before it's even put in EVA 04, so it's not destroyed.
They even scrape the Bardiel goop out of EVA 03 getting it back online, & since they got Zeruel's S2 engine the end result is all the kids vs. the EVA series (including Kensuke in EVA 04, having picked up plenty of "cool lines" in the states...) and, bam, victory.

Not sure than any of this would've been possible in canon, especially the Gendo redemption & just pushing Asuka out of the beam, but hey, it's a video game, those need to be winnable unless we're strictly within the horror genre.

It is even possible to get to the ep 26 AU route & decide to go back (Cue Misato waking up on her desk like "Wait was it all just a dream?") which I kinda love because then it looks like Gendo decided to change his ways because Teacher!Misato chewed him out at the PTA.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Can the next prompt be something Gendo related?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:46 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Someone put a walkthrough on youtube a while ago, it was kinda better than expected. There's one timeline that is kinda like the manga, a slightly tweaked retelling of the original story, but you can unlock two AU routes.

You basically need to get a certain stat up to get there & keep it up to stay there; In the earlier chapters, you're rewarded for collecting the points early with various silly fanservice moments like everyone going camping or running around in Bikinis... but then as you get to the third act it starts to be more of a serious AU.
SPOILER: Show
Basically, you extract Touji alive & well
-> no 10 minute retirement
-> it's a coordinated 3 against one against Zeruel
-> EVA 01 doesn't go berserk
-> Zeruel's S2 engine goes not into EVA 01's tummy but to the science division
-> No freeze order on EVA 01, so you can safely push Asuka out of the mindrape beam before she gets all too fried
-> Now Asuka is actually helpful against Armisael, so Rei lives
-> Seeing that the timeline is away out of whack & fate not as fixed as he thought, Ksaworu comes clean & confesses all, especially informing everyone of SEELE's plans
-> Gendo more or less does the same & formed a truce with Misato
-> all this through some butterfly effect or another leads to a) Kaji eventually turning up again, having apparently fled successfully instead of gotten shot and b) Shamshel's S2 exploding before it's even put in EVA 04, so it's not destroyed.
They even scrape the Bardiel goop out of EVA 03 getting it back online, & since they got Zeruel's S2 engine the end result is all the kids vs. the EVA series (including Kensuke in EVA 04, having picked up plenty of "cool lines" in the states...) and, bam, victory.

That's not actually too dissimilar to mine, lel. Although the exact ways that things happen are a bit different

Return to “Fanfiction”