Spoiler Policy for Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 [OVER!!!]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Spoiler Policy for Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 [OVER!!!]

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:57 pm

The Spoiler Policy is in effect beginning 14:00 UTC 7-Mar-2021, advanced one hour in order to test subforum password protection.

(7/7) The Spoiler Policy is scheduled to end on Monday 23-Aug-2021. Any further changes to the scheduled end will be noted here.

The password for the 3.0 + 1.0 subforum is one word, no caps - spoilmerotten

(8/30) The Spoiler Policy is now history, folks. Sayonara, Subete no Spoiler Policy!

UPDATE 7-7-2021: Scheduled closure date added.

UPDATE 8-30-2021: The Spoiler Policy is now history.

UPDATE 26-Feb-2021: Due to the announcement of the 8 March release date, this spoiler policy will go into effect at 15:00 UTC 7-Mar-2021. However, in case of content leaks or piracy (see point 1g.) this policy will be implemented suddenly and without prior notice.

1. All spoilers for the movies are to be confined to the 3.0 + 1.0 subforum only. Spoiler material for the movie does not include content available in pre-release social media, official movie trailers or the 10-minute Avant preview, since those are readily accessible. (The 12-minute premiere version of Avant 1, however, is a spoiler, and comes under this policy.)

1a. ALL 3.0 + 1.0 material after the Avant preview and all discussion about it as well as speculation about what lies beyond (if anything) goes in the 3.0 + 1.0 sub-forum. NO EXCEPTIONS. This includes the Evangelion 3.0 (-120 min) supplemental manga.

1b. The 3.0 + 1.0 subforum is password-protected (beginning January, sooner in case of a leak) so that only those users, moderators and administrators who log in will be able to see its content. The password, when set, will be publicly visible in the forum's description and anyone who wants to go in can do so. The password-protection means that users who don't log in will be unable to visit that subforum and unable to find thread titles from that subforum on the "search", "new post" or "unread post" functions.

1c. Threads dedicated to discussing spoiler material are restricted to the 3.0 + 1.0 subforum only. Inside the 3.0 + 1.0 subforum, spoilers may be unmarked in all threads and thread titles may contain spoilers. Do not go into the 3.0 + 1.0 subforum if you want to stay spoiler-free.

1d. Do not make an avatar or signature from any 3.0 + 1.0 material outside of the official pre-01/22 movie trailers, the Avant preview, or promotional materials readily available prior to the theatrical release, pre-01/22.

1e. Spoilery fanart and cosplay images for 3.0 + 1.0 go in this thread, see the first post for additional rules and clarifications. Fanart and cosplay based on pre-release materials go into the regular fanart and cosplay threads, but be warned that any fanart or cosplay that reveals clear spoilers will be treated as spoilers and deleted, and the offenders treated in accordance with the existing spoiler policy.

1f. Any 3.0 + 1.0 fanfiction goes into the spoiler subforum until the spoiler policy is lifted.

1g. As stated in the forum rules, don't ask for or provide links to illegally hosted copyrighted material. This includes Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 camrips or leaks, including the online 3.0 + 1.0 premiere video. Links will be deleted on sight. Violators will get a summary one-week ban at the very least, no exceptions, with the possibility of a longer ban if board staff deem it applicable. We have zero tolerance for digital piracy, and any repeat attempts at posting illegally hosted material, knowingly flouting the anti-piracy rule, or joining the forum for the sole purpose of selling or distributing illegally obtained 3.0 + 1.0 media on this forum will result in a permanent ban.

1h. If you think you see a spoiler, CONTACT THE STAFF AND DO NOT CALL IT OUT IN-THREAD. Making a public fuss about a non-spoiler can be a far bigger spoiler than the original post itself. For example, calling out a supposed "3.0 spoiler image" in public revealed a spoiler while complaining about an entirely non-spoilery image.

2. Regular, spoiler-free discussion of the previous Rebuild of Evangelion movies may continue in the Rebuild subforum, business as usual. However, in case you want to post post pertinent, non-gratuitous spoiler material (where it makes a meaningful contribution to the discussion and has been explicitly requested) in the body of a post anywhere outside of the 3.0 + 1.0 subforum, you must minimize its legibility in one of two ways -

2a. use spoiler tags to hide the text. The examples below will not be visible unless you click "show"-
SPOILER: Show
This text is a spoiler

Quoted User  SPOILER: Show
The quoted user text is a spoiler

2b. use hide tags to hide the text for smaller spoilers. The examples below will not be visible unless you click to make the hidden text visible, or double click again to hide it -
This text is a spoiler

Unmarked spoilers in threads outside of the 3.0 + 1.0 subforum and especially in thread titles and announcement threads (which are meant to be spoiler free) will be penalized. As a result of the difficulty consistently implementing the spoilers policy, temp-bans will be automatically issued for transgressions. These will be zero-tolerance except for very recent arrivals (who will be reminded of this thread's existence and held to it from that point forward).

The duration of a temp-ban depends on where the untagged spoilers were posted:
- Rebuild subforum: 3 days
- Other subfora: 1 week

2c. Posting gratuitous hidden spoilers (with or without hints at their content), is considered a deliberate violation of the spirit of the rules and will be treated as such.

Repeated offenses will draw longer bans if the moderation staff warrants them necessary.

3. The same ban policy applies for posting images of spoiler fanart, merchandise or cosplay outside the designated spoiler thread for those.

3a. Fanart, merchandise and cosplay based on pre-release materials go into the regular fanart and cosplay threads as well as the regular merchandise threads like the Evangelion Figures thread. But be warned that any fanart, merch or cosplay that reveals clear spoilers will be treated as spoilers and deleted, and the offenders treated in accordance with the existing spoiler policy.

So what is alright? Images of Rei Q staring with her mouth open, or Asuka and Mari in their new plugsuits as seen in the trailer, or fan interpretations of "Dark Wunder" are alright in the regular Fanart and Cosplay threads as long as they don't reveal details or plot elements not seen in the trailers.

3b. Fanart based on images from the Gainax Calendar and the Until You Come To Me short animation is acceptable as long as it is explicit that these images come from those sources and not from 3.0 + 1.0 . This point matters because it appears likely that imagery meant for end of Evangelion 3.0 has been recycled into these sources, and could conceivably appear in the next movie in its intended context.

4. Due to the release of the "One Last Kiss" Album by Hikaru Utada on March 9 and Shiro Sagisu's Original Soundtrack for 3.0 + 1.0 on March 17, the spoiler policy for those ceases early since they will both be publicly available by those dates internationally.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Spoiler Policy for Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:11 pm

This thread existing made me hyped, even if I will hate every single spoiler thread on this forum lol

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Get HYPED!

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPED!!!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks for implementing this :)

When will this be lifted? IIRC with 3.0 it was some weeks after the Japanese BD came out?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:35 pm

Oh, it's not implemented yet. We're setting it up so that everyone knows what the rules are in case we need to implement it in a hurry. Hopefully it'll be implemented as scheduled, 22 January.

We have no idea when Thrice Upon A Time will be widely available outside of Japan. If the pandemic causes it to be released to BD or streaming services early, we might very well have it lifted sooner than you think. We'll know for sure in the coming months. For now, do be patient. There's plenty to look forward to. ^_^
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Oh so do that's mean the Rei ":o" face isn't allowed? Because, I actually made a drawing of it that's I posted on a thread :blush:
Ban me forever.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:05 am

Spoiler fanart and cosplay thread is up, and I've updated the policy accordingly.
thread/20429/Evangelion-30-10-Spoiler-Fanart-and-Cosplay/

View Original PostLine wrote:Oh so do that's mean the Rei ":o" face isn't allowed? Because, I actually made a drawing of it that's I posted on a thread :blush:

No, it's allowed. There's a lot of stuff from the trailers like Asuka and Mari's new plugsuits that could be used for fanart/cosplay purposes without being a spoiler, since those images are readily available. What matters is that they don't reveal details that are NOT in the trailers, because anything that's based on material unavailable before 22 January is a clear spoiler.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:56 am

Great! I believe that policy is sufficient.
I don't know if I'll resist without looking at the spoilers: I'm curious.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:17 am

Feel free to take a look; just don't spoil it for anyone else!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:45 am

View Original PostLine wrote:Oh so do that's mean the Rei ":o" face isn't allowed? Because, I actually made a drawing of it that's I posted on a thread :blush:

That one's fine! We're more concerned about fan art of events in the movie that haven't been seen in pre-release trailers. So anything seen in the trailers before the film's release of perfectly fine to post here. Anything seen in the film itself or trailers made after the film's release that that haven't seen in the pre-release trailers goes in this other thread here.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:09 am

Small detail: "Q and Beyond" should be changed to whatever the spoiler forum is called right now - or do you intend to create a new subsection, @Ursus?
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Look again. :P

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:15 pm

I was wondering will there be anyone (a moderator perhaps) who will be able to watch the full movie early after release or maybe willing to spoil it for themselves. That person can then monitor posts and delete anything containing spoiler content. Your sacrifice will be greatly appreciated.

Come to think of it how will the moderator be able to stop themselves from seeing spoiler content? I imagine spoilers do come up every now and then
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:33 pm

Moderators (and Admins) who are willing to see spoilers will take care of enforcing the spoiler policy. A few have already said they'd be willing to have the movie spoiled; I'll be one of them, when the time comes.

As for not seeing spoilered content: if I got it right, the spoiler forum will be password protected. Only people who log in will see spoiler content; that should go for moderators as well, but Ursus knows better and will correct me if I'm wrong.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:43 pm

Luke 6:38
"Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

(Thanks a lot)
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:38 pm

View Original PostDerantor wrote:As for not seeing spoilered content: if I got it right, the spoiler forum will be password protected. Only people who log in will see spoiler content; that should go for moderators as well, but Ursus knows better and will correct me if I'm wrong.

I added a note confirming that this is indeed the case.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:17 am

How does 3.333 fit into the spoiler policy?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Good question. I've put it to the other staff, we'll get back to you in a while.

My personal take is that it shouldn't come under the spoiler policy at all unless you considerthe changes to plugsuit coloration to be spoilers. Of course, I would be willing to change my mind if 3.333 had new plot-relevant content like restored deleted scenes, for instance.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:52 pm

∆ Yeah, I share that view. It's of interest to discuss "visual updates", but new scenes can be considered new work, even if it exists within an existing film.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:04 pm

You would think we would have heard if there are new scenes by now, so I think it's okay.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”