Survey on the two English dubs of Evangelion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
GlassReality45
Embryo

Survey on the two English dubs of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby GlassReality45 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Hello, I'm trying to compile opinions on the two English dubs of Evangelion in order to see what the general consensus on both is. I'd like it if you could take a moment to fill out this survey on the subject: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScriruwMT5d6x14Sxcl_-A-TNtwNgLpQlEdsGI_1ERvf6n_9Q/viewform?usp=sf_link

There are three sections, with 4-5 questions each. I've only marked the last question as required, so feel free to skip any questions you don't want to answer or don't know how to answer! Just answer what you can, and don't worry too much about what you can't—and please answer seriously and honestly if possible.

I'll share the results after a certain period of time. (And yes, responses are anonymous.)
"That's right, I am no more or less than myself! I am me! I want to be myself! I want to continue existing in this world! My life is worth living here!"

Resident dub nerd. She/her or they/them pronouns, please c:

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Survey on the two English dubs of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 pm

I posted a response to this. In my opinion, neither English dub is especially better or worse, although the Netflix dub just barely wins in my opinion. I prefer the original Japanese with subs though.

But even though I prefer the subbed version, the elitist attitude of “LOL just watch it subbed” is pretty obnoxious in the realm of foreign entertainment in general. I can understand subs just fine because I’ve always been more of a visual learner, but some people just can’t read tiny boxes of text flashing across a bright TV screen. That’s completely fine, I know plenty of people like that.

crazytunes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby crazytunes » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 am

The ADV dub quality of voice acting is sub par in various scenes and is down right cringe in some. I feel people who like the ADV dub only like it out of nostalgia. The Netflix dub does better justice to the characters, but it takes itself too seriously for it's own good. Some of the dry humour, which tends to make NGE a bit light hearted, is missing. And of course, removal of Fly Me to The Moon is blasphemous. However, I don't have a problem with the translations as I find them more true to what the original Japanese script was. With that said, I'd still watch the sub over either of the dubs. May or may not be due to Megumi Ogata's blood curling scream in EoE. xD

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:29 am

I'm not an expert in the dubs, much preffering the subs, but my opinion is neither is great but neither is terrible either. They're both B- or C+ efforts.

The ADV dub is often too over the top - I'm not a sub elitist but I do despise Tiffany Grant's portrayal of Asuka - but in a lot of the action sequences and dramatic moments there's an authenticity in the performance. Not many of the actors are great - I think Allison Keith has always been the star of the dubs cause her Misato is very Very good but she's not playing a pilot so her work is undervalued by 95% of people - but they mostly do a fine job except for the moments they overact or the script has them go really goofy.

The Netflix dub is often too muted. The cast overall is more effective - while I find Grant's nagging aunt in the body of a child Asuka to be the worst element of the ADV dub I find Stephanie McKeon's rendition of Asuka to be the best part of the Netflix dub - and I think they handle the quieter scenes better but then aren't able to sell the emotions of the bigger moments.

There are a few other issues with both, the few times I checked I think a few of the voices used for secondary characters are too similar. I recall checking out the dub on one of the movies or an episode on Netflix and the VA's for Gendo & Fuutsuki sounded so much alike it was like one person talking to themselves and not in a "We're making a point here" but simply just they miscast.

I don't mind the dubs existence. They're just not for me. But all the Eva dubs - Rebuild 3.0 aside which is really bad - all get the job done IMO.

GlassReality45
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GlassReality45 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:54 pm

I'm still taking responses for this, by the way, if anyone is interested in responding that hasn't.
"That's right, I am no more or less than myself! I am me! I want to be myself! I want to continue existing in this world! My life is worth living here!"

Resident dub nerd. She/her or they/them pronouns, please c:

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 pm

Decided to complete the survey to show my thoughts.

Can I first say how I hate it when people say that people only like the ADV Dub more because of Nostalgia? Because it's a horrible argument and makes people like me just feel terrible.

I do feel the ADV Dub is better. Netflix is very muted in my opinion and my main point of draw is the main cast (Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Misato etc.) And ADV does a better job with these characters compared to Netflix. The Main cast in Netflix I'm just on the point of bad to ok with, while I can be at good to pretty damn great with ADV.

I know ADV had some inaccuracies, they did not affect my understanding of the series. I still understood everything just fine.

Script: ADV's is more loose, but flows better in English. Netflix is more accurate, at the expense of sounding very literal, and just not right.

Netflix gets a point for keeping the same voice cast the whole way through, but then it's completely overturned because Rebuild of Eva exists, and that Dub shares some cast members reprising their roles from ADV.

Yeah, I like the ADV Dub more. But can we please stop with this Nostalgia argument? It's a bad argument, making people who like the ADV Dub be dismissed basically.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:33 pm

One has really bad acting & the "randoms think they can correct/improve famous art" syndrome

The other has Ok acting/ translation but really loveless production with the sound effects & bgm etc.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:38 am

View Original PostGlassReality45 wrote:I'm still taking responses for this, by the way, if anyone is interested in responding that hasn't.

Did you get enough results from the survey to form any conclusions? I assume it's half-half, but opinions may vary for different factors. I think the acting in the ADV is debatable at times but on the whole gives more depth to the characters.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:10 pm

I posted in this thread already, but now that I've had time to ruminate on the good and bad parts of both dubs, I should try to summarize here.

ADV Dub:
The acting's pretty bad at first, and it stays bad for the extras and side characters, but the main actors get pretty good as they ease into their roles. Their performances became iconic in the American fanbase for a reason. The script also contains some instances of changing the script a bit too much, but over all the dialogue writing is very natural and results in a lot of memorable lines.

VSI Dub:
The acting in this version starts better than ADV, but unfortunately it never really rises to the heights set by ADV's later episodes. It just stays mediocre throughout. The actors sound like the original Japanese ones, but they don't really convey nuance well. The script is more accurate than ADV's, but also pretty stilted and unnatural. There's such as thing as being too literal, and I think this version being overseen by the original Japanese creators was a curse rather than a blessing. Also, my most unpleasant Eva viewing experience was when I watched this dub for the first time, so I think there has to be some relation.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun May 02, 2021 11:11 am

In my opinion, the voice acting in the VSI dub is more nuanced and layered than the over-the-top, stereotypical-sounding ADV dub. It captures more of the little quirks and subtleties of the characters, especially Shinji and Asuka, whose ADV voice actors made them sound like stock characters out of central casting.

There is some overly literal clunkiness in the script, but for the most part it’s very similar to the ADV script.

Overall, a huge improvement from the ADV dub. It understands the characters better.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun May 02, 2021 1:26 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:In my opinion, the voice acting in the VSI dub is more nuanced and layered than the over-the-top, stereotypical-sounding ADV dub. It captures more of the little quirks and subtleties of the characters, especially Shinji and Asuka, whose ADV voice actors made them sound like stock characters out of central casting.

There is some overly literal clunkiness in the script, but for the most part it’s very similar to the ADV script.

Overall, a huge improvement from the ADV dub. It understands the characters better.

You’ve made your hatred of the original dub actors very clear in your posts. But I think you’re seriously underselling the ability of the ADV actors to convey nuance. They started out rough, sure, and that can be a serious turn-off. But by the end, you get the sense that the actors are really embodying their characters, capturing their personalities well. The VSI dub actors, on the other hand, don’t really convey much nuance. Shinji stays at pretty much the same tone throughout, and Asuka is just yelling constantly. They sound a lot like their Japanese counterparts, but the casting department was so focused on that one aspect that they forgot to add the nuances of the original Japanese version with it.

And of course the ADV and VSI scripts are going to sound similar, because they’re both translated from the same script. But the translation choices ADV made, in my opinion, were much superior to the choices made by Kanemitsu. Shinji’s mantra in the ADV script, “I mustn’t run away,” has become iconic because of how memorable it is. But his mantra in the Kanemitsu script, “Don’t run away,” is pretty forgettable and doesn’t even match the lip flaps. Similarly, Asuka’s catchphrase in ADV, “What are you, stupid?” has become almost as iconic as her Japanese catchphrase “Anta Baka?” But Kanemitsu didn’t even give Asuka a catchphrase: the line was translated differently each time it appeared. I could bring up a lot more examples too.

So in a nutshell, the Japanese version is definitely the best, but I’d say ADV is the superior dub. I understand the complaints of the anti-Netflix people.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sun May 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Yeah that seems pretty inconsistent. I haven't heard all of the new dub so I may be biased, but they can't change "I mustn’t run away" and "“What are you, stupid?”!!!
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”