Antisemitism tangent (split from Kaworu return thread)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Antisemitism tangent (split from Kaworu return thread)

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 am

IDK I thought he supposed to have textured hair & an African nose shape from how he was drawn?

I doubt they put more thought into it than "make him look American"

Until recently you'd be surprised how many ppl in Asia (even among the ppl at my university) thought that life in the USA proper is like the cartoons, like, very wealthy, perfect melting pot, and everyone can get rich and so on... (aside from resenting the military/ political meddling, which really the whole world does)

It's basically a similar layout as the UN security council had back in the day, just with China's seat swapped for either Gendo or Keel, the balance of world powers was waaay more unequal back in the 90s, we were coming off the cold war, where everyone was terrified of the big superpowers blowing up the planet. To imagine that a problem that required the pooling of worldwide resources would be led by something like the UN just seems like a realistic consideration for the time.

Likewise I doubt they differentiated much between 'Christianity & adjacent beliefs' and ultimately aesthetic windowdressing or some fascinating foreign stuff they read up on, just like someone here might give something meant to come off as spiritualist a vaguely Indian touch & probably not intend any political statement about India's various minorities or local political issues.

Like I'm sure we'd disagree on a lot of thing particularly any "back in my day ppl were tough!" narraratives but just from having seen Nadia I think we could agree on the basic "war is ugly, ppl from different backgrounds working together is good, prejudice is stupid" I I think the modern tendency to jump on everyone who doesn't use the 100% correct language or agree with everything won't help to convince ppl or make the world beter
On the other hand there's the tendency to see criticism of the USA as implied disagreement of all that is good and holy like they're the perfect embodiment of democracy freedom & equality or whatever; It might be less worse than russia, but to the rest of the world its still a big looming superpower. (which is a statement about the government & political establishment, not about the individual US citizens many of whom don't like it either)

Which just speaks to an inherent difficulty with our modern day global scale society - on the one hand you want the capacity to act on a global level, to counteract violence, deal with desasasters... (not much of that being done right now)
On the other hand, who gets to decide what's right & helpful? Any position like that is rife for abuse....
The answer is probably a fully accountable world government of sorts but we're not there yet.

Frankly, this world IS ruled by old rich, people having little backroom discussions; Big companies, billionaires who buy off politicians, a lot of them are from rich countries, many have incomprehensible absurd agendas related to internal politics of their own country or dogmatic ideology - probably not an apocalypse cult but that's exaggeration for the sense of making the point clear.
It is absolutely reasonable that this would feature in ppl's imaginations.
Those in power have always pointed at some handy scapegoat to make the poor fight among themselves instead of realizing they're all being duped - wether it's "foreigners will take your jobs" or, "be jealous of this religious minority instead"
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

eldomtom2
Lilith

Re: Antisemitism tangent (split from Kaworu return thread)

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:22 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:(I should add that Anno's definitely not the idiot sort of nationalist, not a war crime denier, for instance- otherwise we wouldn't have gotten EoE depicting the JSDF as fanatic thugs casually murdering noncombatants to make a point about human depravity.)

The JSSDF (the addition of "Strategic" is clearly a nod towards Article 9) is explicity not the JSDF, which the theatrical pamphlet for EoE says has been absorbed into the UN Army. However, making the villains explicitly Japanese rather than the UN troops seen in the series is definitely saying something...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”