Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby Archer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:31 pm

If it were possible to cut it closer to 2 hours and save less necessary scenes for the 3.0 + 1.0 2.0 Blu Ray release, I’m sure they would have done that instead. A runtime this long is something that no doubt would’ve had to have been heavily discussed and negotiated within the writing team and with external parties, and not a decision lightly made.

Like, just read back on all the cuts they made to keep 2.0’s runtime in check... now imagine them doing that to the rough cut of this movie, and realizing that 2.5 hours is the best they could come up with. None of the teasers have given me as much hype for the movie as this news has.

Honestly, it’s crazy to think that early in development, 3.0 and Final were supposed to be around 90 minutes combined. I really hope we get some insight into what that early draft was supposed to be like in the 3.0 CRC’s.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:07 pm

I think that during the period of April- December Anno/Khara rearrenged a new deal: because of the delay(s, sadly), they let Anno have the Final cut on the product. IIRC, in October they were animating new stuff that was cut originally.
Probably this new theatrical cut was supposed to be' the 3.33+1.11 BD release/ Director's Cut.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:08 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:IIIRC, in October they were animating new stuff that was cut originally.

How do you know?

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:10 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:
View Original PostMr. M#910378 wrote:IIIRC, in October they were animating new stuff that was cut originally.

How do you know?

In an Interview with a staff member, bit I don't recall the name.
Maybe I'm mistaking
EDIT: @Joseki
Found it, it was Takashi Hashimoto, who had a difficult time working on a complicated sequence but had just figured out how to make it. He said it the 29th of September 2020:

https://mobile.twitter.com/norider1965/ ... 5604184066
Last edited by Mr. M on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:32 pm

If Eva doesn't hit by April it may have to wait until after the Summer cause it's getting crowded.

A Mamoru Hosoda movie is happening too, and this looks like it's an intentional crowd-pleaser like Summer Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1eM80jqTeM&feature=emb_logo

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:28 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:If Eva doesn't hit by April it may have to wait until after the Summer cause it's getting crowded.

A Mamoru Hosoda movie is happening too, and this looks like it's an intentional crowd-pleaser like Summer Wars:

Damn, that looks really cool too! So this, Eva, Ultraman, a new Gundam film, there's a lot of cool stuff coming out of Japan in the near future.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:31 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:A Mamoru Hosoda movie is happening too, and this looks like it's an intentional crowd-pleaser like Summer Wars:

I got a notification for that from the Toho YouTube channel. A d without unserstanding what the film was or who made it, after a couple seconds I knew that was Hosoda.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:39 pm

Damn, that looks really cool too! So this, Eva, Ultraman, a new Gundam film, there's a lot of cool stuff coming out of Japan in the near future.
Toho will also have to distribute Godzilla vs Kong and the new Doraemon movie, I am always of the opinion that so many films could be such a box office hard opponent enough for Shin Eva to delay the date as much as possible if they too are all delayed until the end late spring or early summer.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:44 pm

Yeah. It looks fun and should be a big hit. He's a strong filmmaker and this certainly looks like it'll be his most mainstream crowd-attracting film in years. Question is when in the summer would it come out? The July 20th weekend - or around there - seems to be the ideal date for a lot of big movies with filmmakers like Hayao Miyazaki, Makoto Shinkai & Hosoda regularly releasing films on that weekend BUT the Tokyo Olympics - if they happen - start July 23 so that might be out.

I think the talk of March/April could be very likely for Eva since the film is finished and ready to go once it's safe. There's no reason for a protracted marketing campaign. Everyone knows the film exists and they want to see it.

Oddly enough, if it waits too long Toho may simply have too many films already in place taking up space to make a summer release an attractive option and will have to release it after the Olympic games. I think Toho is waiting to see how the next two to three weeks hold up concerning Covid to make an announcement.

Funnily enough, the first official teaser for 3.0+1.0, Eva Unit 08 firing at nothing over a red sea, premiered in theaters in 2018 in front of Mirai. Hosoda's previous film.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:05 pm

I think the talk of March/April could be very likely for Eva since the film is finished and ready to go once it's safe. There's no reason for a protracted marketing campaign. Everyone knows the film exists and they want to see it.

It is true that it seems that Japan with Covid does not seem to have the same worrying numbers of a few months ago but from my personal point of view I believe that Toho, Toei and Khara could have agreed not to release the film at least until when it becomes possible again to sell it in cinemas without any more restrictions on the timetable and the number of paying fans, this will be possible for me only if the vaccination campaign will give positive results already in the Spring.
Oddly enough, if it waits too long Toho may simply have too many films already in place taking up space to make a summer release an attractive option and will have to release it after the Olympic games. I think Toho is waiting to see how the next two to three weeks hold up concerning Covid to make an announcement.
Another problem is that the Olympics could cause an increase in the number of infections leading to another state of emergency. Forgive my pessimism but analyzing the situation I can say that in conclusion this film is inside an ugly paradox: releasing it now or in the next few months could be not only risky for the health of the fans who will go to see it but its collection due to the State of Emergenza may not satisfy Toho, Toei and Khara, but if it is released in early summer it will have to contend with other films at the box office and the Olympics could further delay its release if they cause an increase in infections (:|

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:45 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I'm betting we get like 2 minutes explaining the events of the timeskip.

As long as we get the part that explains exactly what the hell happened to go from EVA-01 skewered to a blood red world out of a Lovecraftian novel, I'll be happy.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 pm

ElMariachi Yes indeed. I don't claim to have the answers to all the questions but at least they could take a few minutes to explain what happened to Evangelion 01 after it was stabbed by Cassius' Spear, at least they could tell us how her ended up in the space and what happened after perhaps someone removed Cassius's Spear from her.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:A Mamoru Hosoda movie is happening too, and this looks like it's an intentional crowd-pleaser like Summer Wars:

Holy crap, new Hosoda film in Cinemascope! HYPED! :mari_love:

Is it just me or seems like we're getting more new anime films in this aspect ratio the last few years? Aside from 3.0 and soon Shin Eva, I also remember Bersek: Golden Age trilogy, Penguin Highway, Kizumonogatari trilogy, Violet Evergarden movies, Josee the Tiger and The Fish, and now this.

I absolutely love this move, watching the old Yamato movies made me wish more new anime films are presented this way too and I got my wish granted. It really sets them apart from TV shows.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:ElMariachi Yes indeed. I don't claim to have the answers to all the questions but at least they could take a few minutes to explain what happened to Evangelion 01 after it was stabbed by Cassius' Spear, at least they could tell us how her ended up in the space and what happened after perhaps someone removed Cassius's Spear from her.

More importantly, I want it to show what role (if any) EVA-01 and by extension Shinji had in this, to see how much Kaworu has been bullshiting him.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:22 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Holy crap, new Hosoda film in Cinemascope! HYPED!

How can you tell it's Cinemascope? Hell, I have trouble telling the difference between one and the other.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:41 pm

@cyharding Unless the trailer is cropped (highly doubt that), it's obvious from the black bars on top and below. The actual CinemaScope lens itself isn't used anymore, the term usually refers to films presented in anamorphic 2:xx:1 ratios nowadays, Japanese people usually shorten it to シネスコ (shinesuko/CineSco) or スコープ (sukoppu/'Scope).

khara themselves seem to be very proud of being able to finally present Eva in that aspect ratio as seen from staff tweets I've seen (Shuichi Iseki is a bit annoyed seeing 3.0 being cropped to 16:9 for last month's TV showing) and the 2nd page of 3.0's theatrical phamplet is basically them flexing the film's specs:
SPOILER: Show

It says:
Evangelion New Theatrical Edition: Q/EVANGELION: 3.0 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO.
Produced in Japan, 2012
Colored | DCP | kharaScope
5.1ch Audio
96 minutes runtime
Shown to public from November 17, 2012
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:28 pm

"kharaScope" is such a lovely term... Man, they were proud of it!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:10 am

They have such a Kharaful way with words.

.... okay, i'll see myself out.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:33 am

I love kharascope lol.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:39 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:More importantly, I want it to what role (if any) EVA-01 and by extension Shinji had in this, to see how much Kaworu has been bullshiting him.
@ ElMariachi I believe that Failures of Infinite could really have been born out of Evangelion Unit 01 and also the spread of Barrier L and the reduction of the distance between the Earth and the Moon were caused by the Guf's Door apparently open by Shinji's actions for wanting to take Rei back. While I do believe that those skulls in Terminal Dogma and those Failures of Infinite that were clinging to Lilith's decapitated head could be the result of Mark 06 trying to cause Lilith's resurrection by attempting to merge with her and become her new one body. We know that Wille may have been aware that the Mark 06 had descended into Terminal Dogma as Asuka knew that pulling the spears would have risked causing the continuation of the Third Impact but then why blame Shinji for everything if they know that Kaworu could have also played a part in destroying the world by facilitating and accelerating the process of Instrumentality? Maybe Anno wanted that Wille to treat Shinji in that way to make both viewersand Shinji himself believe that he is the only responsible and Kaworu a real savior despite the ambiguous attitude,when instead the things may not be like that.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”