EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:EscapismIsBad yes it will be interesting to see how Rei Q and Asuka behave towards Shinji after he recovers from his trauma. I believe that after a few scenes with Asuka, Rei Q's attention will shift to Shinji. We don't know what will happen to Rei Q after Wille picks up Shinji and Asuka.

Yes, probably neither Rei Q does, I hope she chooses to stand up for herself and accept her individuality along with maybe even communicate with her other sisters (the Ayanami series) which are being subjugated by Neo Nerv too, it wouldn't make so much sense for her character arc if she didn't help other people which are in the same situation as her. Time to put ReiQ character arc in the long list of most interesting plot points Shin needs to resolve, I quite enjoy this Ayanami incarnation. Would be great to see some more of Rei and Misato interactions too, Rei didn't interact with Misato in EoE at all and Misato (I rewatched 3.0 today, you can clearly feel Misato isn't comfortable talking about Rei and gets emotional about it pretty easily) still considers Rei as her surrogate son along with Asuka and Shinji.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:39 am

EscapismIsBad I believe that Rei Q can perhaps communicate telepathically with Rei II trapped in the core of Evangelion Unit 01, always assuming that in reality Rei II is not really completely dead instead. Gendo still has some work to do with the Ayanami series and what's left of Lilith.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:15 pm

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:Yes, probably neither Rei Q does, I hope she chooses to stand up for herself and accept her individuality along with maybe even communicate with her other sisters (the Ayanami series) which are being subjugated by Neo Nerv too, it wouldn't make so much sense for her character arc if she didn't help other people which are in the same situation as her. Time to put ReiQ character arc in the long list of most interesting plot points Shin needs to resolve, I quite enjoy this Ayanami incarnation. Would be great to see some more of Rei and Misato interactions too, Rei didn't interact with Misato in EoE at all and Misato (I rewatched 3.0 today, you can clearly feel Misato isn't comfortable talking about Rei and gets emotional about it pretty easily) still considers Rei as her surrogate son along with Asuka and Shinji.

That will depend on if there will be other Ayanami-types with the same level of sentience, Asuka's comment that she must be an early-model at the end of Q implies that the newest models are basically flesh drones.
As for her interactions in Shin, Asuka will probably be very busy, so it's probable that she'll try to interact with Shinji, since he's the one that knew the "original" Rei the best and Rei Q might be curious about her.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:17 pm

Did I hear correctly that one of the new things added was different lighting to the place where gendo is at the end of fourth impact, which looked like the bridge of the dark wunder?

Wondered if there has been any screenshot of that,

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:16 pm

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:Did I hear correctly that one of the new things added was different lighting to the place where gendo is at the end of fourth impact, which looked like the bridge of the dark wunder?

Wondered if there has been any screenshot of that,

Yep, that's correct. Unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone from Japan recorded 3.333, so no screenshot.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:12 am

I know most likely the priority for most people is Shin, but honestly, a new version of one of my favourite films ever is a pretty big deal. And it's strange to not know when or even if I can see it. Seeing Shin without having seen this first would also kinda bother me.

What do you fellow Evageeks think? Is a BD release happening?

Have a feeling tgey might want another run in cinemas before.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:27 am

I am indifferent about this. The descriptions of the changes given by the Japanese to me enough context to watch the next film. But I'd not mind re-watching and doing my own analysis of the changes, I'm curious. As for BD, I believe that we will have a release, the problem is knowing when they will do it, I can't say.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:09 pm

The descriptions of the changes given by the Japanese to me enough context to watch the next film

The thing is I don't know if I can trust people to have found anything, or if everything found has been communicated, or if I would interpret changes the same way.

Definitely gotta see it for myself.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:04 pm

^
Yes I understand. At the time I did my own search on Twitter, found similar reports about the WILLE logo on VTOL crashed in Central Dogma. I hope this is not a "collective delusion". The changes in my opinion are minimal, I think this VTOL one is the most significant for me. As I said earlier, I still want to see these changes with my own eyes

I certainly won't believe reports about Shin when come out.

kuribo-04 wrote:[...] or if everything found has been communicated

I believe no.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm

^
Yeah, if it weren't for the "WILLE" graffiti on the crashed VTOL (which help us establishing a timeline of the events of the timeskip and hints of what might had happened), 3.333 would only consist of a few adjustments in lighting and a change on Asuka and Mari's plugsuits, nothing really worth getting excited about.

But with that single little graffiti, 3.333 awoke all us obsessive nitpickers, ready to track any little bit of extra lore that might had been added by Khara! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:00 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:What do you fellow Evageeks think? Is a BD release happening?

I really want to see it but short of some company picking it up for a streaming debut I wouldn't expect to see a physical release until after Shin's theatrical run. I most likely figure it'll come out on a 4K & Blu-ray disc when Shin gets a home video release.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:16 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:^
The changes in my opinion are minimal, I think this VTOL one is the most significant for me.

Yeah, as far as plot changes go that seems like the one bigger change.

ElMariachi wrote:^
Yeah, if it weren't for the "WILLE" graffiti on the crashed VTOL (which help us establishing a timeline of the events of the timeskip and hints of what might had happened), 3.333 would only consist of a few adjustments in lighting and a change on Asuka and Mari's plugsuits, nothing really worth getting excited about.

That's what I'm most excited for haha

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I most likely figure it'll come out on a 4K & Blu-ray disc when Shin gets a home video release.

A nightmare scenario if true.

Edit: Don't worry, they won't be able to resist releasing it after this display of demand:
SPOILER: Show

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:08 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I most likely figure it'll come out on a 4K & Blu-ray disc when Shin gets a home video release.

Huh, I was also thinking that it'd be bundled with Shin Eva, either as a separate disc or a "special feature" of sort. Despite the (rather subtle) visual changes, 3.333 is still a near-identical product to 3.33 and they probably don't want to sell the same film twice (the theatrical release was more of a limited-time exclusive engagement than a wide release too). 1.11 is kind of a different thing since it was there to "fix" 1.01 and not to mention it was also the first time Jo gets a Blu-ray release with additional 2 minutes of new scenes, so there's a little bit of more value in it.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:35 am

I think the changes are substantial enough to warrant a resale. Just the fact that it is mastered at 2k now.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:53 am

Oh when I said it'll get released when Shin Eva hits home video I didn't mean as a bundle - though I'm sure that will be an option. I just meant it will be released on home video AS WELL AS.

I still think either when Shin Eva hits home video or a whiles after Khara is going to do one final Boxset release where they touch up all the films one last time for 4K. If they can do it properly with the old materials I still see 1.0 and 2.0 getting the 3.333 pass for a 4K disc release.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:33 am

Well if they released at the same time, I could still just watch one after the other. Though it coming out would be more exciting to me.

Would make the inevitable high price sting a little less too lol.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:57 pm

So, you guys think we're gonna be getting 3.333 premiering tomorrow on YouTube?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:02 pm

No. They're not going to put this up for free on Youtube.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:45 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:No. They're not going to put this up for free on Youtube.

You're probably right. Though it is a little weird to update 3.0 to make it more in line with 3.0 + 1.0, and then not show that updated version in a pre-release marathon for that film...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:03 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#912104 wrote:No. They're not going to put this up for free on Youtube.

You're probably right. Though it is a little weird to update 3.0 to make it more in line with 3.0 + 1.0, and then not show that updated version in a pre-release marathon for that film...

Seems even without those differences the last film will probably be perfectly understandable.
I definitely wanna se 3.333 before.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”