EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Re: EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 am

Hey, look at it glass half full. Don’t be pissed that it took so long to get answers, be happy that we got any answers at all. Like you said, the implications are much more exciting than any of the previous fan theories.

And I’d expect to get at least some answers regarding Near Third Impact and the time skip. This change wouldn’t have been made if it didn’t tie into the final movie in at least some way, the implications are just too juicy to pass up. Anno is a master of economic pacing, he should be able to explain some things while still resolving the plot.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:34 pm

Answers? I have more questions lol

But now my brain is endlessly playing Return to Ash from the Q OST. God I love that track.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 pm

Heaven Piercing Man I hope that at least we will get some answers on the story of Lilith, the Adams, the 2 spears and the creation of the Evangelions.What happened in the 14 years between 2.0 and 3.0 may be shown to us in the form of flashbacks. Above all I want to know the true nature and role of Kaworu, the 2nd Impact in this series perhaps was not an attempt by the Adams to eliminate humans to allow the Angels to be the only inhabitants of the planet as instead Adam had tried but perhaps a way to start the Instrumentality remember that Ritsuko stated that the Near Third Impact was a sort of continuation of the 2nd Impact.I hope the movie can be lasts long enough to have time to get all the answers for these questions.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:18 pm

Mari's last words to Shinji were telling him to learn how the world worked.

I really doubt Anno would waste the lead he planted by neglecting to do a little bit of world building.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:36 pm

^
Would be NICE to get another fun scene detailing the worldbuilding and expanding our view of the world like the Aquarium scene from 2.22 (could be inside the Wunder where maybe there's some kind of animal or vegetal life, the Wunder must get its food from some place anyway). Anyway, the Asuka and Mari part of going to space (again) seems very funny and maybe light hearted, it's definitely not the absolute despair, sheer pressure, emptiness and pain Shinji felt during the operation to eliminate Ramiel from this world.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:42 pm

You know, if there is a flashback in Shin Eva (boy, wouldn't that be fun? :w00t: ), I would imagine it playing out like Nemo and Electra's shared backstory in Nadia, at least within terms of structural editing and the overall pacing of the film. (Also, more sly, meta Nadia callbacks in Eva would be hella cool.)

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:59 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Mari's last words to Shinji were telling him to learn how the world worked.

I really doubt Anno would waste the lead he planted by neglecting to do a little bit of world building.
I think Anno can again leave out aspects that would make the First Ancestral Race canonical, but anyway some background on the SEELE and the Adams and the role they played in the history of human evolution I expect to see them at least to be sure they are similar to Nadia's Atlanteans or not.@ EscapismIsBad I believe that in the AAA Wunder there may be some sort of machinery that allows the creation of artificial food or something similar.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:You know, if there is a flashback in Shin Eva (boy, wouldn't that be fun? :w00t: ), I would imagine it playing out like Nemo and Electra's shared backstory in Nadia, at least within terms of structural editing and the overall pacing of the film. (Also, more sly, meta Nadia callbacks in Eva would be hella cool.)

Yeah, I could see Ritsuko shooting Misato in the arm :D ...wait a minute...
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:38 pm

cyharding I don't think Ritsuko shot Misato, I have a theory about why Misato was holding her arm with the blue bloodstained armband in the trailer:I believe Misato's armband could be a piece of Kaji's cloth...For that Misato doesn't wield her cross anymore, because now the blood of Kaji his what trigger her to find justice and revenge again both Angels and Nerv... Maybe this time she will give to Shinji both her cross and her armband when he have to face Evangelion 13..

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:30 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Yeah, I could see Ritsuko shooting Misato in the arm :D ...wait a minute...

I’m gonna take this moment to, again, propose the idea of Ritsuko becoming pregnant with Misato’s baby at the end of the film.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:35 pm

Freaky:Uh-wah?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:13 pm

Knowledge from the Forbidden Fruit is all condensed in this one post. :devil:

Saint Eva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Saint Eva » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:38 pm

I believe Asuka should explain some stuff about the world, specifically outside world during the trio's journey to the Lilin city. More explanations and flashbacks will be provided inside Lilin city, and likely by Kaji, since he seems to have taken that role in NTE. He should also inspire Shinji by giving him his trademark life lessons.

@FXArmaros98 I don't think NTE Kaji is in any danger of dying. NGE Kaji was more of a spy and cynical about life in general. NTE Kaji is far too chill and optimist about life. He doesn't even keep his watermelon field a secret. If his conversations with Shinji are any indication, then his character is all about creating and growing things and being hopeful. If those happy ending rumors are true, then Kaji is one adult I see who have to make it out alive. He's kind of adult the post-apocalyptic world would need.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Saint Eva I also hope Kaji is alive, maybe he is but Misato and the Wille members don't know. It may be that at this moment he is with Kensuke, Toji and Hikari in a place where Barrier L has not yet spread. I think Asuka is too angry with Shinji to be able to explain during their journey.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Kaji has me nervous. The way Takao speaks about him doesn't sound like he's dead. But the part of the fandom that pushed people to "let the past die, 3rd impact did happen as we saw it at the end of 2.0 and killed everything" has been spamming "Kaji just died" rhetoric for 8 years and I'm afraid he's not even gonna be seen or mentioned in Shin.

Q was not the Last Jedi of Eva, dammit.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:44 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:Q was not the Last Jedi of Eva, dammit.

A word of advice: stop comparing Eva to Star Wars. I know from experience as a former Star Wars fan that ignoring Star Wars tends to lead to a much more positive attitude. :wink:

But I wouldn't listen to the hardcore anti-escapism, "Shin will be just as depressing as Q" people. It's clear from minor details in the movie that what was shown in Q wasn't the full story, and the writing is on the wall for Shin to be a much more uplifting movie. For example, I think that Shinji did play at least some role in Near Third Impact (the movie wouldn't make any sense otherwise), but I don't think he was the full cause. There were clearly other factors in play here.

I expect the return of previous Eva characters to be handled in a similar way. Some of them are probably dead (Toji for example was heavily implied to have died during the timeskip), but others are probably alive. It's part of Eva's message that life is full of both good and bad moments. The bad moments are painful, but the good ones are worth living for.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:51 pm

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:
Q was not the Last Jedi of Eva, dammit.

It kinda is, it's just an even better film, and also a more complex one. I don't think breaking away from what came before means Kaji has to be dead though. We got to see most of the cast and they were all put in new situations and showed other signs of themselves.

"Let the past die" was only part of what Last Jedi was saying btw.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:06 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Some of them are probably dead (Toji for example was heavily implied to have died during the timeskip),

That is certainly possible, but it is also possible to interpret the evidence as misdirection (of Shinji, as well as the audience). For me it's firmly in the area of "really don't know".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:19 am

Hadn't one of the animators inadvertently leaked confirmation to Twitter that Kensuke, Toji and Hikari were alive through a sheet of paper where their name and their heights were written?

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:24 am

^
This happened on the second official khara account on Twitter. You can see the supposed leak in this topic: “Height Chart Leak (Whoops...)
But it's not possible to confirm that the trio is alive.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”