EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:28 pm

^ Thats my real problem with spoilers. It’s not that I want to see the movie unspoiled. It’s more that knowing what happens in it only intensifies my impatience.

But, such is my life. I’m gonna spoil myself rotten and tap my foot real hard until the movie gets a legal US release.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 pm

View Original PostintermediateO wrote:

-Wunder getting shot by something piercing it's AT Field (stretching similar to Arael's when it was struck by the Lance of Longinus) as it is crashing into the surface of a Camouflage Cocoon (looks identical to the one in the trailer)
-

Imagine if Mark 10 with Rei Q as it's pilot throws the Lance of Longinus at the Wunder similarly to when Unit 00 did the same with Arael in NGE?
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 am

Just saw the film in IMAX. I’ve seen 3.X probably the most times out of all the Eva movies even in the theatre when there was a release in English. As for this version, I was so surprised how much more I was able to see visually. Everything translated so well to the screen. There were many points before when I couldn’t comprehend what was going on the screen and now everything so is crisp and clear. The details were really enjoyable and the cg was impressive. It seems they added these little red bit CG animations but my overall impression was that the images were so much easier to comprehend in this new version. So much so that the movie flowed really well and fast and now I’m so looking forward to Shin.

As for the new preview at the end, it went really fast. There was definitely a shot with Shinji in the white plug suit looking like he was from the scene when he first piloted. The other big thing was the white evas. Very many against Asuka against the backdrop of a blue sky. Too fast to get a detailed look out but it’s def some end of Eva vibes. Perhaps in this version we will get to see what happens between 2 and 3.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

IsAnnoGodOrATroll
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby IsAnnoGodOrATroll » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:33 am

By what others have been saying, 3.333 sounds really well improved so I want to see it even more.

Asuka with a bunch of white evangelions against a blue sky??? The more I see/hear of footage from Shin, the more I wonder how it'll come together. The evidence seems to suggest that it'll be during the timeframe of 2.0 and 3.0 but it's also very interesting to note that it's a blue sky, not a red one. Shinji in the white plugsuit also puts a wrench on things. The only thing I can think of is either it's 1.0 recreated in an Instrumentality sequence or if the Loop theory is actually, actually canon. Which, if it became canon, I hope that Anno can pull it off/make it much more interesting or else the movie might just lose me before I even see it.
Thrice Upon A Goodbye...

bogdanblue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bogdanblue » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 am

View Original PostintermediateO wrote:-Unit 2 beneath a red moon (like, identical to what a bloodmoon looks like irl) while the mysterious MP-like Evas fly upwards around her

The MP-like Evas are those that we see surrounding Asuka and Mari in the trailer right?
I think it's time for Shinji to help her and finally redeem himself.

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:32 am

View Original Postbogdanblue wrote:The MP-like Evas are those that we see surrounding Asuka and Mari in the trailer right?

Yeah. Seemingly these same dudes:

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:33 am

View Original PostPluto wrote:Just saw the film in IMAX. I’ve seen 3.X probably the most times out of all the Eva movies even in the theatre when there was a release in English. As for this version, I was so surprised how much more I was able to see visually. Everything translated so well to the screen. There were many points before when I couldn’t comprehend what was going on the screen and now everything so is crisp and clear. The details were really enjoyable and the cg was impressive. It seems they added these little red bit CG animations but my overall impression was that the images were so much easier to comprehend in this new version. So much so that the movie flowed really well and fast and now I’m so looking forward to Shin.

As for the new preview at the end, it went really fast. There was definitely a shot with Shinji in the white plug suit looking like he was from the scene when he first piloted. The other big thing was the white evas. Very many against Asuka against the backdrop of a blue sky. Too fast to get a detailed look out but it’s def some end of Eva vibes. Perhaps in this version we will get to see what happens between 2 and 3.

That's nice to hear, I always felt weird nobody criticized how 3.33 is such a hard movie to watch because how many stuff is happening in the screen and such, until this day i cannot comprehend exactly how the fight of Code 777 and Mark 09 happened. Maybe unrelated but when I initially watched Q I didn't understand NOTHING about the first scene, it was just objects falling from space, purple lasers and explosions, only recently i discovered that Unit 1 appeared in that scene to save Asuka.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm

If I had to guess, the biggest difference in terms of clarity is probably the 8 bit colors of the 3.33 Blu Ray vs the 12 bit colors of the IMAX version.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:25 pm

View Original PostPluto wrote:As for the new preview at the end, it went really fast. There was definitely a shot with Shinji in the white plug suit looking like he was from the scene when he first piloted. The other big thing was the white evas. Very many against Asuka against the backdrop of a blue sky. Too fast to get a detailed look out but it’s def some end of Eva vibes. Perhaps in this version we will get to see what happens between 2 and 3.

Wait, is the EVA-02 in this scene of the preview restored to what it was before, or is it still the the EVA-Jet Alone hybrid from Shin?

EDIT: Also, did you get to see the WILLE logo that apparently was added to the crashed VTOLs in Lilith's Chamber?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:43 pm

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:
That's nice to hear, I always felt weird nobody criticized how 3.33 is such a hard movie to watch because how many stuff is happening in the screen and such, until this day i cannot comprehend exactly how the fight of Code 777 and Mark 09 happened. Maybe unrelated but when I initially watched Q I didn't understand NOTHING about the first scene, it was just objects falling from space, purple lasers and explosions, only recently i discovered that Unit 1 appeared in that scene to save Asuka.

Yes, this exactly! These were huge notices for me when I was watching the movie where these scenes were so hard to comprehend. The space scene looks great and it's so exciting with the amount of clarity. Same with the Wunder launch scene.

With the code 777 transformation scene. It was really cool to see how the Mark 8 after it gets attacked by Asuka, regenerates into a mk6 angel head (like in the battle in dogma).

I'm glad you brought these details up because I recently watched 3.33 on Japanese TV in August and had the same problems about seeing and comprehending the action and I thought it was just me.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
View Original PostPluto#906340 wrote:As for the new preview at the end, it went really fast. There was definitely a shot with Shinji in the white plug suit looking like he was from the scene when he first piloted. The other big thing was the white evas. Very many against Asuka against the backdrop of a blue sky. Too fast to get a detailed look out but it’s def some end of Eva vibes. Perhaps in this version we will get to see what happens between 2 and 3.

Wait, is the EVA-02 in this scene of the preview restored to what it was before, or is it still the the EVA-Jet Alone hybrid from Shin?

EDIT: Also, did you get to see the WILLE logo that apparently was added to the crashed VTOLs in Lilith's Chamber?

Thanks for bringing this up. There are a couple of things I remember from the preview:

1.In 3.333 the sky was clearly blue everywhere so that doesn't mean it was the future.

2. Yeah it was the jet alone EVA-02 so it probably was in the Q-timeline. This was my mistake. As mentioned above, the shot was similar to what we saw in the preview with EVA-02 and the machine gun. The difference was the blue sky and the white evas. There were a total of two short clips with the white MP evas but it felt like a second or less.

3. I looked for the WILLE logo that was added to the crashed VTOLS in Lilth's chamber but it was so fast so I didn't catch it.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:51 pm

View Original PostPluto wrote:2. Yeah it was the jet alone EVA-02 so it probably was in the Q-timeline. This was my mistake. As mentioned above, the shot was similar to what we saw in the preview with EVA-02 and the machine gun. The difference was the blue sky and the white evas. There were a total of two short clips with the white MP evas but it felt like a second or less.

Thanks for the precisions! :D

For the scene of Franken-Eva 02 with a blue sky (so not during an Impact) and the white Evas, I think that could be Franken-Eva 02's introductory scene: Mari is unaivalable or struggling against this new enemy, things look grim, and then out of nowhere the "reborn" EVA-02 appears, the scene as a shot paralleling EoE making us worry for Asuka... and then she proceeds to completely mop the floor with them, definitively cementing this Asuka as stronger than the original NGE Asuka ever was.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:29 am

View Original Postbogdanblue wrote:
View Original PostintermediateO#906251 wrote:-Unit 2 beneath a red moon (like, identical to what a bloodmoon looks like irl) while the mysterious MP-like Evas fly upwards around her

The MP-like Evas are those that we see surrounding Asuka and Mari in the trailer right?

After the EVA 03 incident, it's obvious he owes her something. But I don't expect the payment of the debt that way. I'm sure we are gonna see her unleashed in battle.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:23 am

A more detailed description of the shot of crashed VTOL in Terminal Dogma:
The tail part has a white NERV logo now, but it's vandalized with a blue "WILLE" writing (like in the second image photoshopped by the user). This implies that WILLE was formed during the time of the actual Third Impact (Not Near-Third Impact). It really sounds like a rebellion happened, huh. I get chills imagining this, to be honest.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:41 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:A more detailed description of the shot of crashed VTOL in Terminal Dogma:
The tail part has a white NERV logo now, but it's vandalized with a blue "WILLE" writing (like in the second image photoshopped by the user). This implies that WILLE was formed during the time of the actual Third Impact (Not Near-Third Impact). It really sounds like a rebellion happened, huh. I get chills imagining this, to be honest.

Damn, now I really want to see the events that took place during the time skip, because the hints left implies that it was something epic, I want to see the rebellion in NERV led by Misato that threw SEELE and Gendo's respective plans to the shed for fourteen years while the apocalypse raged around them! :boingy:

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:13 am

ElMariachi I think that in 3.0+1.0 they could show us some flashbacks, maybe even the 3.0 prewiev scenes.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:02 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:A more detailed description of the shot of crashed VTOL in Terminal Dogma:

JUICY
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:13 am

Goddamn mystery box!!!
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 am

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:Goddamn mystery box!!!

NO! Bad HeavenPiercingMan! Bad! :wink:

You really need to realize that not all mysteries are bad. It’s only the JJ Abrams type of mysteries, where the author doesn’t give a shit about the answers, that are inevitably bad. And I think that Anno is a good enough writer to give a shit about his own story.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:13 am

lol, if anything that’s a partial answer to the 14-year gap question. (I refuse to call it a “Mystery Boxes,” since even JJ has admitted that they were not meant to be opened.)

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:33 am

I'm so afraid Shin will pull a "who cares, the past is past, you can NOT redo mirite?" regarding the time skip. There's just no time and more pressing concerns like well, resolving the actual plot.

Riddle for the ages! Ow, the edge.

And JUST NOW, 8 years after the original release, we find out there was no EOE-style failed JSSDF raid, but an entire Wille raid on Dogma as soon as the group was formed in an improvised rebellion most likely pressed for time.

This has more exciting implications than any of our previous grasping-at-straws fanwank theories, or even that lucid dream that guy had about the time skip.

I'm so PISSED!!!

At least nobody is calling it "WILL-E" anymore.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”