That picture again...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Analyzor
Embryo

That picture again...

•      
  •      

Postby Analyzor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi there, I started speculating about this famous image that sadly still remains a mystery. Here's what I have found:

On red we have some kind of "lights" like there is a wall or ceiling. It seems there isn't any sky. These white lights seem too linear in the gif, I dont think they are clouds.
On green we can see something like a sunflower
In yellow what it seems some kind of pipeline that forks both up and down, the upper one heading to this kind of window (in red).
In blue we can see something like a cleat maybe? it's definitely metal and manmade.
In purple just by the cleat some manmade lines that for me is marking like a limit for something (maybe it's a picture from a ship?)

In this frame we can see it better:
It's interesting to note that this cleat seems attached to this other one.
And in yellow in this frame we can see some kind of pipe where 2 cables are being released.
In purple we can see snow? on the lines.
In green we can see some kind of signal

More pictures here. We usually watch it filtered, that removes some light colors and like these lights are removed as well.
thread/11960/A-couple-Reiquarium-pictures-in-more-detail/140/

The landscape seems to be snowy but there are also lights or manmade things in the sky like a ceiling... I don't think there are any people in this image.

What are your guesses?

Edit:

These seem like broken trees to me, stumps and branches. And the lines at the bottom right could be a road. Maybe it's a picture showing the cataclysmic effects in Earth of the 2nd Impact?
Last edited by Analyzor on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Analyzor
Embryo

Re: That picture again...

•      
  •      

Postby Analyzor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:00 pm

With the tower thing in the middle, it just looks like a photo of a playground to me. Like that one Smash Bros Brawl stage and the reflection in Lara Croft's glasses, I expect that it is just going to be some or another stock image that was distorted and used as an overlay to create an unsettling effect.

This is a very surreal sequence to begin with, so I wouldn't read too much meaning into a graphic filter
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:47 am

I've always rorschached that as being a picture of Adam being excavated & experimented on- the white sphere in the center, beneath the crane, is his head, and you can see his shoulders to either side. That also would explain the snow, and the weird structures all over.
I don't have much if any confidence that that's what it's actually supposed to suggest, of course.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:20 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:This is a very surreal sequence to begin with, so I wouldn't read too much meaning into a graphic filter

Anno did sneak some pretty important imagery in the midst of the stock photographs, like the one of Adam being excavated, and Eva-01 being "born" from Lilith, so I wouldn't dismiss this so quickly.

I see what vaguely looks like a covered head and an entry plug. Could this be the Contact Experiment with Adam that led to 2I?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Analyzor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Analyzor » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:07 pm

Some more analysis

Green might be a well. Yellow might be some kind of rudder

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:46 pm

I don’t see the point of analyzing these images. They deleted them on the Renewal release for a reason.

But despite that, my best guess on the image is that it’s intended to represent a town that was ravaged by Second Impact. You can see what vaguely looks like a house in the background of the image, and the whole thing looks torn up and destroyed.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:50 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I don’t see the point of analyzing these images. They deleted them on the Renewal release for a reason.

But before that they published them, presumably also for a reason...

Actually, what interests me in regard to that is that they are pretty much the only thing missing from the combined bluray and archive dvd boxes (which you could argue supports your view).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:04 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Actually, what interests me in regard to that is that they are pretty much the only thing missing from the combined bluray and archive dvd boxes (

In that case, finding the original image ought to be easy; if you feed the original frame with the overlay and new frame without the overlay into a neural network for watermark/background removal, that will probably give us the best look at whatever the image used for the overlay is
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:19 pm

That thing in the foreground,( blinking red above), still looks like a giant head to me.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:58 pm

Aloha, Wayne! Long time no see. I was referring to the red-blinking thing too, and now that I look at it again, it looks like an Ultraman head if nothing else. There's that other weird Rei tank image of Adam being drawn like Ultraman, so I'm guessing it's Adam after all. (Although why they drew her like Ultraman is anyone's guess :headscratch:)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Analyzor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Analyzor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:29 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I don’t see the point of analyzing these images. They deleted them on the Renewal release for a reason.

But despite that, my best guess on the image is that it’s intended to represent a town that was ravaged by Second Impact. You can see what vaguely looks like a house in the background of the image, and the whole thing looks torn up and destroyed.

They included them later in a Director's Cut also for a reason. Most notably to know that EVA01 is Lilith's lower half, and that the spear activated itself to neutralize Adam.

EvaUnitREM
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaUnitREM » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am

Interesting, surprisingly i've never actually head of this image until now, so I will start doing some research to try and help with your investigation!!!

Analyzor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Analyzor » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:38 pm

I've asked for some help at the spanish forum Forocoches, no one can tell anything yet.

At least I can share this from a member:

https://www.forocoches.com/foro/showthr ... t383747968

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Oh yeah, that last picture looks a lot more convincing than the rest of the speculation. Some people in traditional wear overseeing a harbor is definitely the best guess currently

GuiBiancarelli
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GuiBiancarelli » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:52 pm

I ran the image through an AI enhancer and colorizer, and increased its contrast and color curvature afterwards. Follows the result:

SPOILER: Show

I found some interesting details in it, follows:

SPOILER: Show

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Fixed image links.
Last edited by GuiBiancarelli on Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Images not working
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Analyzor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Analyzor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:32 am

I was wondering if the 2 long black lines on the centre-right could be part of the Spear of Longinus...
Just a random guess

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:03 am

If the thing on the lower-left corner is a person in very heavy winter clothing, it could mean it's someone overlooking Adam's excavation from the ice. The head-like object resembles Ultraman's head, which is why I think it's Adam being excavated.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:11 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:I've always rorschached that as being a picture of Adam being excavated & experimented on- the white sphere in the center, beneath the crane, is his head, and you can see his shoulders to either side. That also would explain the snow, and the weird structures all over.
I don't have much if any confidence that that's what it's actually supposed to suggest, of course.

That seems the best fit to me as well. Partly because Adam’s excavation is a running theme in the images, partly because if the Ultraman head, partly because the snow and associated gear does a lot to explain the “blobbiness” of the stuff in the image. It all just sorta fits.

It’s still be nice if we could isolate that one layer though. All we need is the original footage, Adobe AfterEffects, and someone who knows what they’re doing. How hard can that be???
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”