Restructuring the subforums here (Hopefully finalized)

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Restructuring the subforums here (Hopefully finalized)

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 am

Hi folks, with reference to this old thread and in the interests of cleaning up this forum before 3.0 + 1.0 hits in January, this forum is going through some restructuring.

Wiki Editing and Discussion is now its own subforum, not a part of the News and Feedback Subforum.
The Discussion subfora have been bumped up and Chit-Chat has been bumped down.

There has been some general renaming to better reflect what goes in which forum, and hopefully make things clearer and more accessible for newer members. These changes can easily be reverted if they turn out to be more of a nuisance than they're worth.

But in the meantime, we'd like to hear what you think of these changes. Apart from the novelty of having the subfora in new locations, is there a clear benefit or downside to this restructuring? Do the new names sound like an improvement over the old ones? Should we have changed something else? Do you have anything else in mind for the forum's structure? Please let us know, and we'll take your suggestions and comments into consideration to the best of our current ability.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Re: Restructuring the subforums here

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:03 am

Seems fine to me. I looked around a bit and didn't have any trouble finding anything.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 am

The "Chit Chat" section being below the NTE and NGE Discussion sections means that it's actually dedicated to chit chat about both series, right? That tends to be how this forum works anyway, and it'd be nice not having NTE Chit Chat cluttering up all of the fascinating world-building/thematic discussions in that section.

Cool changes all around! :thumbsup:

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:39 am

I can't think of anything I'd change right now. I do find this a good decision that clears the forum up a bit. Nice job!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The "Chit Chat" section being below the NTE and NGE Discussion sections means that it's actually dedicated to chit chat about both series, right?

That's right! And it's for conversations that cover multiple things, so it'd be home to a topic like "How Shinji's portrayal changes in NGE, Rebuild, the Manga and Anima" for instance, which covers multiple Evangelion-related properties at once.

Cool changes all around! :thumbsup:

Zusuchan wrote:I do find this a good decision that clears the forum up a bit. Nice job!

Glad you like them! :D I was actually a little worried about how they'd go down, seeing as how these forums haven't had a shake-up in ages! Right now, I'll be tinkering with the layout a little to see if there's something that works a little better. Hey, in the worst case, I'll just revert the changes.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:23 pm

It's reasonable. I would rename "Evangelion TV Series Discussion" to "Neon Genesis Evangelion Discussion", which reads a lot better.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm

You removed the "Asuka is hot" from the chit chat description. My day is ruined. :lol:

Or I think that was what it said.

Seriously though, it all looks fine to me.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 pm

What, Pen-Pen ain't adorable enough for ya?

View Original PostLavinius wrote:It's reasonable. I would rename "Evangelion TV Series Discussion" to "Neon Genesis Evangelion Discussion", which reads a lot better.

We had the very same idea, but it was pointed out that the name "Neon Genesis Evangelion" is also used by Sadamoto's Manga, which is its own continuity. The "TV series + EoE (+ Death & Rebirth)" name was to make it unambiguous that we were talking about the TV series. The end result is more functional but less elegant, I guess.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:34 pm

May I suggest that the "Everything Else Evangelion" section should be moved to the other two serious discussion sections? It sits a little alone where it is now. Renaming it to something like "Evangelion Spin-Offs and Merchandise" to further clarify things might also be good; "Everything Else" is of course the most appropriate description. Something like "Evangelion Spin Offs, Merchandise, And Everything Else"? This just popped into my head, so feel free to ignore.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:14 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:You removed the "Asuka is hot" from the chit chat description. My day is ruined. :lol:

Yo, I didn't even notice that until you pointed that out! I guess with all of the recent discussions involving the sexualization of teenagers we've had in parts of the forum, it's a wise choice.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:59 am

@Freaky - Yes, you've got the logic behind the change right!

View Original PostDerantor wrote:May I suggest that the "Everything Else Evangelion" section should be moved to the other two serious discussion sections? It sits a little alone where it is now. Renaming it to something like "Evangelion Spin-Offs and Merchandise" to further clarify things might also be good; "Everything Else" is of course the most appropriate description. Something like "Evangelion Spin Offs, Merchandise, And Everything Else"? This just popped into my head, so feel free to ignore.

The logic behind the shuffle is that the two subfora dealing with site operations sit on top of the list, followed by the two high-traffic discussion subfora pertinent to the two main series (NGE and Rebuild), followed by subfora in decreasing levels of in-depth discussion and "Evangelion-ness". "Fan Works" is a teensy bit more pertinent to Evangelion than "Everything Else", which starts to veer away from Evangelion due to the inclusion of "Related Works and People", and Completely and Utterly Off-Topic is of course the next subforum in the list. (However, if there's a solid case for Everything Else being a higher priority than Fan Works and more agreement that both should switch positions, I see no reason not to do so)

Well, the renaming/reshuffling has left our subfora with longer names than before, and "Everything Else Evangelion " really is the most concise and snappy description of the place without making it something overlong. I'd suggested the name to Reichu way back in 2008, and it was meant as a sneaky joke about Nerv HQ's Level EEE in Evangelion 1.0. As far as I know, she's the only one who understood it! :tonguegrin:

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:46 am

Based on staff discussions, we're going through another wave of restructuring. Do give us your feedback!

Also - one idea we'd been batting about was merging "Fandom Area/Fan Works" into "Chit-Chat and General", while splitting "Fanfiction" and "Role-Playing" into their own subfora.

Merging "Fan Works" into "Chit-Chat and General" - AYE or NO?

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:25 am

I don’t think that’s a very good idea. Fan works have much more of a relationship to fanfics and role playing than they do to the discussions commonly seen in Chit-Chat. It’s fine as-is.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:45 am

I....don't care for this most recent iteration. I don't see the purpose behind splitting the boards up into these different boxes? Also I think that Chit Chat should be in discussion, sure it's watered down discussion but it's discussion nonetheless. I could probably get used to it though, and it doesn't throw me off like the changing banners did years ago.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 am

The purpose of keeping Chit-Chat and Discussion more separate is to encourage actual in-depth discussion in the latter, while making clear that there is a place for casual analysis and general talk as well. That's what those section were supposed to be for anyway, so nothing but the ordering changed. That should make it easier, especially for new members, to find their way around things.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:04 am

@TheFriskyIan - The key question is whether this change improves how people perceive the forum and find their way around. I understand the board looking weird and unfamiliar at first, but if the board continues to be a pain to navigate a week or two down the line that means we've made a mistake. We're still waiting to see how this works out, and will revert any changes that turn out to be a mistake.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 am

Looks a bit funky now. Maybe a little too big.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:33 am

Before you could look at the whole forum within a second. Now you have to scroll down a bit too much. I'm not sure the big boxes dividing stuff are really needed, I don't think the forum was hard to read before.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:54 am

Yeah, it's a bit long. However, on the positive side, I really like that "Everything Else Evangelion" is now grouped with the other two main Evangelion discussion sections! I hope that particular change will stay. ^_^
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 am

Honestly I like the way everything is organized now. It seems fairly sensible.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”